Walther Forums banner

I need P38 info

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  uncut 
#1 ·
I tried to e-mail Orvel at p38forum.com but it came back as Delivery Problems Encountered so maybe someone here can help. I just bought a P38 and would like some info please.

On the right side of the slide it has the numbers 6476 in front of the serrations and on the front of the right side it says "INTERARMS-ALEXANDRIA". On the right side of the frame above the trigger guard it says "Made in West Germany". On the left side of the slide it has the Walther banner and says "Carl Walther Waffenfabrik Ulm/Do." and below that says "P38 Cal. 9mm". On the front of the left side it has a four pointed star and below that a circle with a dot in the middle. On the left side of the frame is the serial number 006476 with an E a little down and next to the last 6 and in front of the slide stop is a circle with a dot in the middle. On the left side of the trigger guard is some sort of emblem, like a bird with an N below it. The mag it came with has the Walther banner and below that says "P38 9mm"' on the left side on the bottom and it has a straight indent going down the front of the left side with seven small round indents goings down behind the straight indent. The decocker has the white S and red F. The finish and black plastic grips have hardly any wear, looks great. Any information will be greatly appreciated and if you want pix let me know. Thank you.

Christopher.

See less See more
#2 ·
It sounds like a commercial P38......
the "E" after the serial some say was for "export" but Orv thinks this is a bunch of BS as they have been reported with the "e" in Germany as well....
you got a way early P38 there and it is a keeper...
serial started at 001001E in 5/1957
the "eagle/N" is the German proof mark that indicates the gun was testfired at a proof house (there should also be a antler someplace)
the circle with the dot is a Walther "in house" inpsection mark that shows the parts meet strict German police/military quality standards... however is found on commercial P38's also..... the commercial mark for this was just a circle without the dot.....
the 4 pointed star again is a Walther in house quality mark that indicates a design change in the part... on later guns this is commonly seen on the take down lever
your decocker is not just a decocker but a safty also
well anything else... it be great to post some pics..... also you can post on the P38Forum and I am sure Orv will comment on this P38... hope I didn't forget anything....
oh Interarms was the Importer back then for the Walther...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.