Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just acquired an old PPK that I'm trying to I.D.  On one side of the slide, it reads Waffenfabrik Walther.Zella-Mehlis(Thur.)  Walther's Patent Cal.7.65m/m  -  Mod. PPK.  There is also a symbol that looks like maybe an eagle with it's wings spread.  Under the symbol it says "Wa4359".  The same symbol and numbers are also on the frame behind the trigger.

On the opposite site of the frame there is a eagle over an "N" on the slide and barrel.  The serial number is 3720xx K.  It has a loaded chamber indicator.  The front sight is orange and yellow.  The grips appear to be wood with a round gold emblem with an eagle holding three arrows in one claw and what appears to be a twig with berries in the other claw and the letters "SILE" under the eagle.

It also has a leather holster that holds the gun and one extra mag.

Any help on I.D. and value would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
78 Posts
What you appear to have is a wartime production Walther PPK. From the serial number I'd guess around 1943.

This pistol is rarer than usual in that it has military acceptance marks (the WaA359 markings). The serial number should located in two places (frame and slide on right side) and match.

Someone has obviously painted the front sight and replaced the original grips (this will detract from value).

Sounds like someone used this as a carry/shooter piece. Condition of weapon, whether mags/holster are original will determine value.

Good original replacement grips will set you back way over $200 (if you can find them).

I'd be guessing that if the firearm is in pretty decent shape (no rust or pitting) it is worth $300-400 as it sits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
on the for sale board there is someone selling ppk grips, if you go back alittle, he says they are original for $35.00..
are this the right grips for my gun?
thanks again,
brian

·
Registered
78 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (bassbass @ Aug. 10 2004,9:07)]on the for sale board there is someone selling ppk grips, if you go back alittle, he says they are original for $35.00..
are this the right grips for my gun?
thanks again,
brian
Doubtful the grips for sale for $35 are pre1946 grips.

Pre 1946 grips are one piece wrap around, can be either black or brown mottled. Some later wartime grips were even wood.

I believe you are probably refering to grips for sale by Robert Johnson (very good guy to deal with). His grips will be two piece grips for post war PPKs.

Check out some of the older threads in this forum (a year or so ago) there are some good photos of pre 1946 and post war PPks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts