Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was my turn to have the slide lock-back problem.

I went to range and after less than 25 rds my PPS's slide locked back and won't release.

I will be sending it back as soon as I receive my pre-paid postage box and label.

Jim

·
Registered
121 Posts
Pardon from all the FE owners, but I really hope its the FE he has. Because if its not......then well.....Walther/S&W is going to be loosing a lot on shipping and handeling at the least. Hope the .40cal upon its arrival will not have such luck.

Sorry guys about the problem.....though no fault of mine...just feel the frustration that entails. And indeed, rather at the range my friend.......consider that one of your nine lives if you did CC that pps. I'm assuming you do....errrr did CC that gun considering 1000 rounds were ran through it....geeeeez, this is becoming an epidemic that could cause someone their life.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes a FE with a pretty high round count. It is a common problem with the spring which retains the slide stop and seems to have affected many many purchases of the FE. Maybe they've changed somethingin the Black version but I doubt it
There are enough problems now that I suspect that the spring is either defective or improperly designed.
I will return mine for repair and keep everyone up to date.
If the problem persists we may have to take it to Walther as a group
Jim

·
Registered
121 Posts
Fight the power brother! Though I wouldn't have much footing in our potential march, I can help paint signs

That would be to much liking if you'd be kind enough to keep us advised. Interested in how this will all pan out. *while crossing fingers* I hope one of their statements will be "we have noticed the problem and am pro-active in repairing any and all distributed PPSs and have addressed it appropriatly towards all future productions of the PPS".......or something like that.....wish I knew some german right now....I'd quote in that language

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is nothing to see. The slide is locked back and won't release. You cannot see the spring.
Look at your own PPS and see the slide release cutout and place where you formally could see the spring

·
Registered
335 Posts
JMOFO:

Sound to me like a "first series" anything problem...

Anytime you buy a first series anything I believe the chances for it have a "teething" problem is very high.

I want a black PPS myself, and the first one I see I'll buy, even a first series pistol. Walther will recognize it's a factory defect and the fine S&W Customer Relations/Warranty folks will fix it for you.

In fact I'm willing to bet if the same problem arises with your early series PPS, even after the warranty period has expired it will be repaired free..

Just the nature of a new product.

Regards,

J.Pomeroy

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As much as I don't want to admit this I believe that you are absolutely correct PX15
It would have been smarter to wait a year or so and let the bugs get sorted out. The first Kahr PM9's had a lot of teething problems too.
I wonder if the 100% German version of the PS sold by Earl will be any different ?
Jim

·
Registered
335 Posts
As much as I don't want to admit this I believe that you are absolutely correct PX15
It would have been smarter to wait a year or so and let the bugs get sorted out. The first Kahr PM9's had a lot of teething problems too.
I wonder if the 100% German version of the PS sold by Earl will be any different ?
Jim

Jim:

Just personal opinion but I believe the only difference between the PPS' you would buy from Earls and the one your local ffl dealer can get for you is that one will have "Imported by Earls", or something of that nature, and the other will have "Imported by S&W" on it.

Both firearms will be 100% German manufacture and you can trust me on this, Walther Mfg. of Germany does NOT have an assembly line dedicated to giving Earl the "best" pistols and the rest of the world has to make do with the 2nds.

Sorry, there is another difference between the PPS Earl sells and the one you can buy from you local friendly dealer... Earls will cost a whole lot more....:eek:

I have no problem with S&W importing the PPS's because S&W has a superior Customer Relations/Warranty reputation. I don't know who warrants Earls pistols, but I'll be more than happy to deal with S&W. I hear Mr. Earl can be a bit "testy" too from time to time, and I'm way too old to put up with drama like that.

I have absolutely no issue with those folks who prefer dealing with Earl. They probably all have a lot more money to throw away than I do. I'd prefer to take that extra couple of hundred bucks Earl would be charging for "his" PPS (or P99's or whatever) and start a new "kitty" for my next Walther! :D :D

But don't for a minute think a Walther firearm you get locally is in some manner not "all German", or any less a quality firearm than you would get from Earl. "Just ain't so" ;)

YMMV/Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy

·
Registered
254 Posts
Jim
If a pistol has German proof markings on it, it was fully assembled and proofed in Germany. This is the case with the PPS.
S&W is nothing more than the current US distributor for Walther. They are not assembling the PPS or even manufacturing any of it's parts.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Jim:

Just personal opinion but I believe the only difference between the PPS' you would buy from Earls and the one your local ffl dealer can get for you is that one will have "Imported by Earls", or something of that nature, and the other will have "Imported by S&W" on it.

Both firearms will be 100% German manufacture and you can trust me on this, Walther Mfg. of Germany does NOT have an assembly line dedicated to giving Earl the "best" pistols and the rest of the world has to make do with the 2nds.

Sorry, there is another difference between the PPS Earl sells and the one you can buy from you local friendly dealer... Earls will cost a whole lot more....:eek:

I have no problem with S&W importing the PPS's because S&W has a superior Customer Relations/Warranty reputation. I don't know who warrants Earls pistols, but I'll be more than happy to deal with S&W. I hear Mr. Earl can be a bit "testy" too from time to time, and I'm way too old to put up with drama like that.

I have absolutely no issue with those folks who prefer dealing with Earl. They probably all have a lot more money to throw away than I do. I'd prefer to take that extra couple of hundred bucks Earl would be charging for "his" PPS (or P99's or whatever) and start a new "kitty" for my next Walther! :D

But don't for a minute think a Walther firearm you get locally is in some manner not "all German", or any less a quality firearm than you would get from Earl. "Just ain't so" ;)

YMMV/Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy
P.S.

To give you an idea of why I prefer to buy Walthers thru my local friendly ffl dealer.. 1. I think it is always best to buy locally if possible.. Support your local folks any time you can for ANYTHING.

2. Earls has P99c/AS & P99/AS listed at: $799.00+shipping (then add your local ffl dealers transfer free). I should suggest then $799+$20 shipping (minimum), and in the case of my dealer, $25 transfer fee. Or: $795+20+25 equals: $840 X 2 (I have both) or: $1680.00.

I paid $585 out the door for each of my Walther P99/AS's.. No additional feesw whatsoever, (and that even included the local 7% sales tax). or: $1170 for both.

$1680-$1170 leaves a difference of: $510.00

I don't know what my PPS will wind up costing thru my local dealer, but if I subtract the savings I've already made by dealing locally I figure I'll wind up paying, (more or less) $75.00 for it, as opposed to having bought my other Walthers from the pricey Mr.Earl in the first place.

ALL three of my Walthers will have come off the very same assembly line in Germany and the only external difference between my Walthers and those sold by Mr. Earl will be the absence of the S&W import marks on the right front of the slides. There will be ZERO internal differences.

As I said earlier, if you have the dinero' buy from Earls if you so choose. I don't, and even if I did I wouldn't. Any way you look at it you are paying more for nothing..

IMO.. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Jim,

If you don't mind, what serial # range is your FE in? Mine is in the upper 600's. I'm really hoping the problem has been fixed. I'm about to qualify with it as a second weapon this coming week (hopefully) and need it to be utterly reliable. It will be carried on and off duty.

If you find that this is a design error and they are fixing it, I'd REALLY

·
Registered
20 Posts
(sent before I finished)

If this is a design error and they are fixing it, I'd REALLY like to send it back before I rely on it. A recall, as it were.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts