Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in Plano for a training class and had time to kill this afternoon so I went up to Gander Mountain in Sherman. It is much further than I thought, but oh well I had nothing to do.
Once I made my way around all the Glocks, Kimbers, Springfields, and Rugers I saw it. A First Edition PPS, when the gun counter finally made it back I got his attention and looked at the PPS First Edition. It is great to hold and I'm sure it will shoot great. I could not manage to talk myself into 799 for it though. So if anyone is interested in one, they really exist and see if you can call up Gander Mountain and have them ship it to your FFL. I was talking to the guy about shipping it to San Antonio where I live and he sounded as though it was no big deal if I paid for it at the store there.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
I am in Plano for a training class and had time to kill this afternoon so I went up to Gander Mountain in Sherman. It is much further than I thought, but oh well I had nothing to do.
Once I made my way around all the Glocks, Kimbers, Springfields, and Rugers I saw it. A First Edition PPS, when the gun counter finally made it back I got his attention and looked at the PPS First Edition. It is great to hold and I'm sure it will shoot great. I could not manage to talk myself into 799 for it though. So if anyone is interested in one, they really exist and see if you can call up Gander Mountain and have them ship it to your FFL. I was talking to the guy about shipping it to San Antonio where I live and he sounded as though it was no big deal if I paid for it at the store there.
Those Gander Mountain folks don't mess around: $799 is steep for a gun that is listed by Walther at $665, that generally sells for something under that ($629.99 seems to be the going price -- when you can locate them, of course), and that you can find on sites like Gunsamerica for either the retail price or something less (three are listed at the moment). Then again, a Walther in the hand is worth two in the bush.

So tell us, married guy: Your first time holding a PPS FE was almost as good as ...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While my first time holding a PPS was not as memorable as well:D :cool: :rolleyes: you know. It was way too small for my hands so I don't think I would buy one even if this price was lower. I've grown accustomed to P99 full size and 1911s. Maybe if I could find a good used one in a couple of years I would get one, but for now I'll wait.

·
Registered
203 Posts
no way i would pay $800 for the fe. that's way way too high. but like you, i had to go out of town to see my first pps fe and it was way nice. larger than i thought but .... i guess i'll have to do the same if i intend to see black. hopefully i can own one around say march 08?

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
...Once I made my way around all the Glocks, Kimbers, Springfields, and Rugers I saw it. A First Edition PPS, when the gun counter finally made it back I got his attention and looked at the PPS First Edition. It is great to hold and I'm sure it will shoot great....

Let's keep a sense of proportion here. You make it sound like you latched onto Julia Roberts' left tit. I have no personal experience in this regard, but as between the aforementioned and a Walther PPS, I think the former has infinitely greater possibilities....

M

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Let's keep a sense of proportion here. You make it sound like you latched onto Julia Roberts' left tit. I have no personal experience in this regard, but as between the aforementioned and a Walther PPS, I think the former has infinitely greater possibilities....

M
I haven't been able to handle either, but from my vantage point the ergonomics are way better on the former........;)

·
Registered
68 Posts

M

Julia Roberts:eek: Where the heck have you been, she is probably 60 by now!!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

M
The point I was trying to make, and apparently failed to do so, was that there was about one half of one shelf that had Walthers on display.
So after wading through all the other pistols I found the one I was looking for. And to be quite honest I was disapointed by the way the PPS FE felt in my hand. I am sure that Julia's left one would feel OK, but I'm not convinced. All the other pistols that were on display were about $75 to $200 over the prices that I have seen at Sportsman's Warehouse.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey, what's the matter with 60??? 60 feels pretty good:D

Picked up an FE yesterday and haven't had a chance to go to the range yet. Hope it shoots as well as it feels

Bill, Kx1a

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Many a sweet tune has been played on an old violin.

Julia Roberts is in fact 39, with a birthday shortly. But even if she were 60, at my age she would be seen as a beautiful, fetching and experienced lass. With gunsmiths and women, one should never discount the value of the last.

M

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hey, what's the matter with 60??? 60 feels pretty good:D

Picked up an FE yesterday and haven't had a chance to go to the range yet. Hope it shoots as well as it feels

Bill, Kx1a
I'm curious where you got it. I haven't searched relentlessly, but have asked around a couple times. Hoffman's said they've sold one so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm curious where you got it. I haven't searched relentlessly, but have asked around a couple times. Hoffman's said they've sold one so far.
Newington Gun Exchange had one come in on a trade. A trade hmmmm, why? Problems?
Larry eased my concernd by telling me this particular gentleman swaps firearms often just because wants to get his hands on the new stuff. Wish I could afford to do that.
We'll see. ope to get out today

Bill

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Difference being that Walthers are timeless and eventually Julia Roberts will age.
...and so will we. Enjoy it while you can.

By the way, does anybody know the expected life of the plastic frames and other parts in the recent Walthers before they turn brittle and break, crack or shrink? Do we need to keep them out of the sun?

M

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I expect that a plastic Walther, like Julia Roberts can tolerate a bit of sun.

Like Julia though, too much sun could lead to brittleness and cracking! ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts