Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
I do not believe that the grips are original to the gun, but a fine piece none the less. What about the serial number throws you off? You also have to remember that Walther and Manurhin models used different serial numbers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is a duraluminum (dural) frame gun; not a steel frame gun. The duraluminum frame PPK (referred to as Modell PPK-L on the Walther Ulm and Walther Mark II marked guns) serial numbers started at 500001. The Manurhin marked dural frame guns were not noted as PPK-L; only PPK. The Manurhin, Walther Mark II and Walther (Ulm) marked guns made by Manurhin all shared the same serial ranges (in this case 500001 - 5xxxxx).

Dieter Marschall's book "Walther Pistols - Models 1 to PPX" has a nice table which explains the post-war PP, PPK and PPK/S serial number strategy by model, producer, serial range and production years. A must have book for anyone interested in Walther pistols.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a duraluminum (dural) frame gun; not a steel frame gun. The duraluminum frame PPK (referred to as Modell PPK-L on the Walther Ulm and Walther Mark II marked guns) serial numbers started at 500001. The Manurhin marked dural frame guns were not noted as PPK-L; only PPK. The Manurhin, Walther Mark II and Walther (Ulm) marked guns made by Manurhin all shared the same serial ranges (in this case 500001 - 5xxxxx).

Dieter Marschall's book "Walther Pistols - Models 1 to PPX" has a nice table which explains the post-war PP, PPK and PPK/S serial number strategy by model, producer, serial range and production years. A must have book for anyone interested in Walther pistols.

Wow, I never heard of that before, Thank you.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
What a beauty!

·
Registered
36 Posts

I wish I could find that book. It is out of print everywhere I have looked that once carried it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts