Walther Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of switching from the Walther factory sights to Trijicon HD on my 9mm PPQ. I removed the rear sight with no problem but after many attempts to install the rear sight and make sure it "clicks", no luck at all. Any insider tips on how to do this or what I may be doing wrong?

Thank you

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
Yes, what PPS said. I'm wondering if when you removed the factory sight the spring and plunger went kazinnnnngggggg and you never saw it. Its probably in orbit now.

If these new sights use the factory windage adjustment screw, then you also have to reuse the spring and plunger.

First question is same as PPS 180, is the spring and plunger installed in the slide? If so, I can provide you with a little trick that I use. If not, YUSC. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gun Dumb

First, thanks to all who responded. It is greatly appreciated.

Yes, I removed the windage screw from the original sight and transferred it to the HD rear sight.

The spring and plunger went "kazing" when I attempted to depress it to install the new sight. After multiple failures to get the plunger to "click" into place, it shot off into orbit. Yes, the HD sight requires the use of the spring and plunger.

Any additional tricks or suggestions would be appreciated. Next on the list is to contact Walther for a replacement plunger and spring.

Again, thank you, thank you.

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
Oops, I have no magic tricks for that. You simply need to call Walther. Next time, use Kar 98's excellent step by step procedure. Aligning the slot in the plunger perfectly front to rear....slot parallel with the slide is imperative. Make sure the square headed screw is oriented with a flat side down. Align the slot, install the sight from the left side....slide it all the way in until the windage screw bumps into the side of the plunger. Now, use your thumbnail to depress the plunger....holding it down while you push the sight in, until the head of the screw is over the plunger....remove your thumb....and MOST IMPORTANT, keep a thumb or finger over the edge of the sight and over the plunger while you slightly adjust/move the sight a tiny bit right/left until you hear the 'click'. THEN remove your protective thumb/finger and check to make sure the head of the screw is captured between the ears of the plunger.

If you flub up and push the sight too far to the right and the plunger poops up on the inside of the screw...that'd be bad. But all is not lost, you'll simply need to unscrew and remove the screw to allow you to remove the sight...put the screw back in and try it again.

I've done this so many times I can probably do it in the dark.....in 10 seconds or less.

Good luck.....and call Walther, cuz you gotta have that spring and plunger.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just a suggestion learned the hard way. If you don’t have a place to work where the flying spring can easily be found try this. Where I live the newspaper is delivered in a clear plastic bag. Make sure both ends are open so you can put the slide inside and one hand inside each open end. Allowing you to work on the sight while keeping flying parts confined. Its kind of a pain in the butt but hopefully you only have to do this once. When done tie a knot in one end so the bag can still be used to pick up doggie do do. 🐶

·
Registered
365 Posts
Just a suggestion learned the hard way. If you don’t have a place to work where the flying spring can easily be found try this. Where I live the newspaper is delivered in a clear plastic bag. Make sure both ends are open so you can put the slide inside and one hand inside each open end. Allowing you to work on the sight while keeping flying parts confined. Its kind of a pain in the butt but hopefully you only have to do this once. When done tie a knot in one end so the bag can still be used to pick up doggie do do. 🐶

Very good idea, and just to add - some guys suggest working with your pistol inside an empty fish tank :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gun Dumb

Terrific suggestions; very helpful. I thank all of you. By the way, here is a "plug" for Walther customer service. I emailed them that I lost the spring and plunger. Within two days I received a reply from them that a replacement was sent. Terrific gun backed up by a terrific company. I also give a "thank you" to Walther.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.