Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the gun shop today with a friend visiting from out of town. I had not planned to buy a PPS until others gave good reviews and the price came down.

That was until I saw a Frist Edition in the case...

Serial number less than 20.

9mm.

Comes with 3 mags, one of each size. Interestingly, the mag bodies are the same size but the mag base is deeper so that the spring can fall down into it to get the higher capacities.

Comes with 2 backstraps. I like the larger one. (FYI, I use the jumbo backstraps with my 2 fullsize P99 and thought the large strap on my P99c was too small.)

Comes with hard aluminum case with PPS Walther logos on side.

No extra sights. No sight changing wrench. No cleaning rod. No mag disassembly tool. I'm saying this because those items came with my P99s.

The test target was done at 10 meters. The grouping is about the size of my P99c at 25 m. Although 3 of the PPS rounds were within 1/2 inch and 2 others rounds were each high and off to each side. Maybe less than 2 inch group total. I'll know more about the accuracy after I shoot it.

We dug through the holsters at the shop and found the Galco stow-n-go IWB for a Springfield XD subcompact 3" to be an excellent fit. (STO444, natural, right handed, $25.) This is the holster with the somewhat thin and very soft leather.

At first I thought the bore axis was relatively high, but holding up with the P99c, that looks to not be the case. Maybe that is just a perception issue since this thing is soooo ssslllimmmm.

Also, the plastic in the frame seems to be stiffer and harder than P99. That is just a 'touch' perspective, I have no data.

Price was $579. I'm guessing this will end up being high, but didn't really care. I usually don't go for the "xxx out of 1000" hype, but it really tempted me this time.

No range report or pictures yet. I'm entertaining company from out of town. Hope to shoot it Sunday or Monday. Will tell more then. Maybe pics when I get a chance and find a place to host.

There are some ladies across the bridge in Canada waiting for any money I might have left....

Don

·
Registered
75 Posts
congrats Don

i'm heading to a gun show tomorow, we shall see how the wind blows...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Range report

The PPS was cleaned and lightly oiled the night before. It probably didn?t need it; there was an appropriate amount of light lube on it from the factory.

I put 150 rounds 115gr CCI Blazer Aluminum and 50 rnds 124 gr Speer Gold Dot +P through it over about 45 minutes.

I experienced one glitch. With the gold dot, one empty case got stuck between the rear end of the barrel and the breech face as the next round was partially chambered. The new round and empty case were parallel and touching. The empty case was at the top, 12 o?clock position. I had never seen that happen before on other guns.

Shot at ranges 7 to 15 yards. This is close target for me; I usually only shoot at 12 to 25 yds.

I rotated fairly evenly through all three magazine sizes. The middle sized, seven rounder, is my favorite so far. I have some comments on the magazines, but will save those for another thread.

Shot groupings were not as good as my P99c. This is not a dig because I have always found my P99c to be as accurate, if not better than my full size P99s. The PPS groups were probably double in size than my P99c typical groups. I expect this to get better as it breaks in, especially in terms of the trigger feel and my ability to manipulate it.

Comfort was better than I expected. Perceived recoil did not seem much different than the P99c, with either target load or gold dot +P. The thin grip does mean there is more pressure on your hand. The grip did tend to push on the top side of my thumb knuckle (second from tip). Wrapping my hand more towards my thumb around the grip helped with this. There is checkering on the front and rear of the grip that appears to provide excellent grip improvement, but does seem to tear at the hand some.

The sights are 3 dots. The dots are much bigger than those on the P99s. About 0.100 inch diameter for PPS compared to 0.070 inch for the P99c, by my quick measurements. It makes for a very nice sight picture. IMO.

The slide release is much harder for me to manipulate with my strong (right) hand thumb than on other guns. If that does not get better (by either me adjusting or the gun breaking in), this might be a slingshot method gun for me.

Loaded magazines insert and latch very easily with the slide forward. No giving it an extra hard push like other guns need.

I like the long magazine release lever. I never had a problem with the short ones on my P99s, but this lever on the PPS is quite nice.

Overall I give it a thumbs up. I knew going in that it was a compromised design to get excellent concealability and comfort.

I carried it in the holster mentioned above for a few hours. It is EXCELLENT compared to the P99s in a Don Hume H715, which weren?t bad either. I?m very happy with this. That was the whole point of this design, right?

No pics yet.

At the end of the range session I put 6 mags through my P99c. The PPS definitely hasn?t replaced it as my favorite shooter. The single action pull of the P99 is really missed with the PPS. In fact, I might even like the double action AS P99 pull better than the PPS, probably because I?m more used to it.

So now that the PPS is here, when does it get its own section in WaltherForums??

Don

·
Registered
75 Posts
Struck out at the gun show, but my local dealer can order one for $594.

I'm gunna go over there tomorow and see about trading in my XD-45. Its a good gun, but its no Walther...

So any kind of report would be GREAT, otherwise I'm gunna order it blind... which may not be a bad thing - I ordered my P99 blind and love it with all my heart.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
How does the gun compare to the size of a P99 compact and a Keltec 32?
I assume it falls between the two (size wise).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More pics

I apologize if these are too big. I apologize even more for how low quailty some of them are.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
one more

If there are certain areas you want to see, let me know and I'll try to catch it with my camera.

Don

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Can you take some of the gun next to other guns - to get an idea of the size difference?

Do U have a P99c to compare it to?

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
I red today that there's a recall on this gun.......

Only kidding!!!!!!!

Best of luck and safe shooting!!

photo

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been holding out for the regular model to start showing up but all yall buying these first editions are making me want to go ahead and order that now. I just don't like the looks of the frame on the first editions though, decisions, decisions. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
i'm kind of iffy about the look of the frame in comparison to the slide - don't know if its the flash on the gun or not - what are your thoughts on how it looks?

my p99 matches frame for slide (all black) - how's it compare to that?

-- jon

·
Registered
525 Posts
I just don't like the looks of the frame on the first editions though, decisions, decisions.
Me too, I'd pick up one of the first edition ones but man that frame is...different.

Thanks for the write up and pics!

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Thanks for the report and the pictures!

Could we have a shot of the right side of the slide/pistol?

Would like to see the import marks.

Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I purchased one on saturday. Put 150rds through it without any problems.
Accuracy was excellent with Win-clean 115g BEB abd DPX 115+p.

A well engineered and well made mini-nine.
Trigger is a bit gritty and reset is spring loaded and a little slow. My felling is that trigger will smooth with time but initially it too heavy with initial shot and reset.

A very worth successor to the PPK. Mine will probably end up as a BUG
Jim

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A well engineered and well made mini-nine.
Trigger is a bit gritty and reset is spring loaded and a little slow. My felling is that trigger will smooth with time but initially it too heavy with initial shot and reset.

Jim
That's my thoughts too, except I thought the reset pretty good.

Overall, the trigger is the detail of the PPS that I like the least. I expected this going in though. Breakin and practice should overcome this.

Don

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
pics

Thanks for the report and the pictures!

Could we have a shot of the right side of the slide/pistol?

Would like to see the import marks.

Thanks!
ShipWreck said:
Thanks for the pics. Can you take some of the gun next to other guns - to get an idea of the size difference?

Do U have a P99c to compare it to?
I have more pics on my puter at home. I'll upload them tonight. There will be P99c comparison shots. The import marks are cut into the slide and appear to be the same style and location as my P99c.

I really like the color of the frame, as long as I don't look too closely at the "grain" pattern it has. I'll take another shot of the gun from further away so you can get a feel of the gross color.

Don

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Can U come post your pics at my FN Forum, in the "general firearm" section? There are some interested people in this gun at my forum too - just whenever ya get the chance.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts