Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like the loose spring arrangement on the PK380; so I wrote to Galloway Precision at [email protected] (note, this email address is posted, publicly, on their website) :
I was looking at your Stainless Steel Guide Rod Assembly for Walther
P22 Pistols. I am curious, is there any possibility of a similar,
captive spring assembly, for the PK380 in the near future?
I got a response:
We can look into it, I've had a few folks ask about it over the years.
I hope a few other people will contact them, letting them know that there is demand.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I don’t know how many models have them, but perhaps GP should work with Walther to provide captive springs for all their guns that have a separate guide rod / spring combination. What I don’t understand is why any fixed barrel gun requires a separate guide rod. The barrel makes a darn sturdy guide rod.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Older thread, but I found out yesterday that Galloway Precision now has the captive RSA for sale on their site for $20, in stainless or black. I ordered one for my wife's new PK380.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Received ours Fri or Sat. So much easier to install than the original. My wife put 100 rnds of Fiocchi thru the pistol today without any problems.

·
Registered
118 Posts
asked my brother to order a spring and two of the magzine extensions.

Hope he can bring them to europe in April, when he comes

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Received ours Fri or Sat. So much easier to install than the original. My wife put 100 rnds of Fiocchi thru the pistol today without any problems.
Mine arrived yesterday. There is almost no comparison to the OEM arrangement. The captive spring is so much easier to install. The GP spring is guide is White Stainless instead of the OEMs blue. As such, it is easy to see if it has been installed without field stripping.

edited to add:

It has been a week or so since I posted this. I got out to the range today and had no trouble with the new spring.

It occurred to me that I really should have changed the spring there so that I could give an A/B comparison. I will say that it made cleaning, and reassembling, a lot easier.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had issues Monday with the new Galloway RSA. The gun had some slow return to battery and felt like it was hanging up. Put the original RSA back in the gun after cleaning and went back to the range today with no issues at all with 100 rounds fired. We will leave the original in for a few more firing sessions.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Had issues Monday with the new Galloway RSA. The gun had some slow return to battery and felt like it was hanging up. Put the original RSA back in the gun after cleaning and went back to the range today with no issues at all with 100 rounds fired. We will leave the original in for a few more firing sessions.
Did you try different types of ammo with the new spring?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you try different types of ammo with the new spring?
No, Ken I didn't. We were using Fiocchi each time in the gun. The gun shot without any issues the first 2-3 times using Fiocchi and the original RSA. I clean and lube the same way/method after every range session. I'm going to continue with the original RSA for now just to keep my wife from becoming frustrated with her "new" gun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Captive PK380 spring

I also wrote to GP last year suggesting that they make a captive spring like they did for the P22. Lo and behold they did. I ordered one a few weeks ago, put it in and took the gun to the range today. Fired 20 rds of Sig V-Crown 90 gr with no problems, as always. I also shot 50 rds of Browning 95 gr semi-wadcutters. First time I had shot these & I had 4 instances of cases sticking in the chamber. I won't use these again.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My galloway spring is on it`s way to me.

Also two gallowway mag extensions.

Will install the spring after the upcoming competition

·
Registered
118 Posts
Small Update.

I tested the Galloway captive spring yesterday and it works just fine. Now problems at all.

But the mag extensions are not what I expected.

Due to the extended base, the original magspring is to weak. Not to weak to work but to weak to hold the extension perfectly in place.
It moves around to much and distracts me, since I have the feeling the base could fall off and I would loose the ammo in the mag.

So either I will put the orginal base plates back on, most likely, or I will fill up the inside of the extecion and drill a hole in the the filling, so the base of spring is compressed enough to hold it in place.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Further udate.

I replaced the magextensions back to the original ones.

Will see, what I have to do, to keep them snug.

Used the spring first time at a competition yesterday and had nor issues at all. Ok I only put 30 rounds through the PK380, but no issues, so it seems to be a good upgrade.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts