Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd been eyeballing this Erma Excam RX22 at the LGS for a number of months. I hadn't spent any money in the shop for a while and considering it was well over $700 less than my Ulm PPK .22 I decided to add it to the collection. It's in very good condition with original box and mag. I ran through a couple of mags of Aguilla with no issues. Easily as good a shooter as the real deal. It appears not to have been highly regarded in it's day but seems to be better made than a lot of today's cheap stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
I found one as well about two years ago at the local Cabelas - $145, but no box.
I have to say it's a great shooter with accuracy a tad better than my Walthers and 100% functioning. I mean the thing has n e v e r malfunctioned.
Obviously the "Pride of ownership" deal isn't quite up there as with the Walther's, but then my Erma cost less than 1/10th what my PPK/L did.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Am I correct in assuming that these were made in Germany and imported pre 1968 ? Are they compatible with Walther grips and magazines ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice looking gun I have one myself that has been in the family for some years. It shoots well and I have the box and one magazine with mine.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Am I correct in assuming that these were made in Germany and imported pre 1968 ? Are they compatible with Walther grips and magazines ?
They were built in the USA out of German parts. Mags are not interchangeable and I don't think the grips are either.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
@DE Pistole: Gun was casted. I do not know what ERMA used, it's def. no steel. Jimbo may try a magnet... ;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Depends whose markings are on the gun. Originals were made by Erma in Germany and Imported whole. Then a bunch were imported as parts and assembled by Excam of Florida. Then a company called American Arms made a bunch. I think I've owned one of each type and all functioned pretty much like the original except for the safety which is a hammer block. with the hammer block safety on the lower the hammer you pul the trigger. Scary the first couple of times you do it

·
Super Moderator
7,506 Posts
If it's anything like the Erma .22 carbine, it is less than steel, tho' well made and functional.
Moon

Reactions: Jimbo80

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
all functioned pretty much like the original except for the safety which is a hammer block. with the hammer block safety on the lower the hammer you pull the trigger. Scary the first couple of times you do it
When I first examined my Excam edition I thought the safety was broken as it didn't decock the gun and the trigger dropped the hammer so I almost passed on the gun. Upon closer look I noticed the hammer block. All in all I'm very happy with the purchase. Now the hunt begins for an extra mag and manual.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for looking out. I am familiar with Bob's. I have purchased factory mags there before that were clearly knockoffs. If he wasn't so difficult to communicate with I would ask him.

·
Registered
136 Posts
This is where my lack of firearms historical knowledge haunts me. I just don't know what left field older firearms are worth chasing after

-- Mark

·
Registered
661 Posts
@DE Pistole: Gun was casted. I do not know what ERMA used, it's def. no steel. Jimbo may try a magnet... ;)
Martin, are these the same frames that the gas pistols were made from?

Reactions: halfmoonclip
1 - 16 of 16 Posts