Walther Forums banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had a Smith PPK with repeated FTFs. Finally bagged it and sent it to Smith. They sent it back, dirty, and sd no issues found, but the problem persisted.

So I sent it back again, got it back dirty, no issues found. My LGS let me swap out for another PPK/S. this one had a trigger pin that came loose in fewer than 50 rounds. So, the LGS let me trade for another weapon.

Some months later, the LGS had some more Smith PPK/Ss, and against all logic, I bought one. This one has been perfect.

Lesson for me is I don't have a lot of faith in Smith warranty work...then again, I dont think they were heavily invested in the PPK/S line.

THRILLED that Walther is reclaiming their PPK line.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Pier23
That is exactly why I sent my PPK back to Walther in Arkansas,they seemed much more interested in customer service Than SW ever was . I also had FTf problems plus slide jamming problems,but SW didn't even want to see the gun even though it was new,and my Lgs would not help so I read up and fixed it myself.I just hope the new WAlther co does a better job with the recall then I felt SW would have done.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Just remember that the Walther in Arkansas isn't really "Walther". It's Umarex...the people of P-22 fame. :rolleyes:

My S&W PPK .32auto has been 100% perfect since day one. Only reason I didn't send it in for the recall was because S&W had hired a bunch of new (possibly temporary) gunsmiths to do the recall work. That was YEARS ago and I assume by now they know what they're doing. All my other dealings with S&W have been 100% positive. Either way, if they screw the gun up, I will get a replacement gun from S&W. I'm not attached to the PPK with an umbilical cord. I'd take an S&W Shield as a replacement in a heartbeat. :)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yesterday, FedEx returned my Smith-made PPK/s to me after doing the hammer block recall on it at Ft. Smith, AR.. It took about 5 weeks and the people at Walther in Ft. Smith were very courteous over the phone. I called every couple of weeks to check up on the progress of my gun. I sent it to them clean, and it returned having obviously been test fired. The while experience was painless, other than the wait. I'm very satisfied. I'm only 150 miles north of Ft. Smith, so both ways were easy overnighters. Walther sent me a FedEx mailing label to their facility in Ft. Smith. They told me when I first called them that Smith and Wesson no longer is connected to them in any way.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Yesterday, FedEx returned my Smith-made PPK/s to me after doing the hammer block recall on it at Ft. Smith, AR.. It took about 5 weeks and the people at Walther in Ft. Smith were very courteous over the phone. I called every couple of weeks to check up on the progress of my gun. I sent it to them clean, and it returned having obviously been test fired. The while experience was painless, other than the wait. I'm very satisfied. I'm only 150 miles north of Ft. Smith, so both ways were easy overnighters. Walther sent me a FedEx mailing label to their facility in Ft. Smith. They told me when I first called them that Smith and Wesson no longer is connected to them in any way.
S&W never was connected to the Arkansas operation. That is strictly Umarex.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'm in week five of my wait so I hope to get mine back soon. I would echo the politeness comments. Mine's a warranty issue rather than the recall so that may make a difference. I was told Monday that the smith (singular) was working on guns submitted just prior to mine.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well it finally happened! One of my PPK/S models started going full automatic. To be fair it would "double" and never actually ran through a whole mag or anything that extreme. Unsure that I approve of a full auto feature that happens at random I have sent it off. :rolleyes: I contacted Walther and they told me to send it to them. So this repair is off to Fort Smith. They were helpful and didn't waist any time getting me squared away for the return. It should have arrived by now but there hasn't been time for my conformation card to come back yet. And NOW WE WAIT!

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'll have my PPK back from Ft. Smith Tuesday according to FedEx. I'll report on what if anything was done and condition.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Well it finally happened! One of my PPK/S models started going full automatic. To be fair it would "double" and never actually ran through a whole mag or anything that extreme. Unsure that I approve of a full auto feature that happens at random I have sent it off. :rolleyes: I contacted Walther and they told me to send it to them. So this repair is off to Fort Smith. They were helpful and didn't waist any time getting me squared away for the return. It should have arrived by now but there hasn't been time for my conformation card to come back yet. And NOW WE WAIT!
That's kinda distrubing, since it was thought by many that once S&W/Umarex got control of things, everything would be so much better. It appears that's not the case. I can't recall any S&W-made PPKs suffering "doubles". No recall was made for that problem.:(

·
Registered
75 Posts
yeah it was a suprise. That one can shoot pretty quick when it takes a notion to. lol. It was Smith manf. but as far as I know it isn't a recall. Fort Smith is doing it under warranty repair. The print out that they sent also stated that any "repair work" deemed the fault of an excess of filth will be subject to a $35 fee. I can't imagine that there are that many people who just let their firearms get to that point but I suppose it's worth mentioning just in case. CLEAN them, shoot them, then if theres a prob send them back. lol. I am beyond confident that this was not in any way operator, ammo or dirt/crud related so I am anxious to see what they say and do to fix it.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
There have been some reports of the PPK/S models going full-auto, including one on this forum a couple of years ago. But they are few and far between. It's definitely not a trend that we'd want to see.

·
Registered
854 Posts
That's why I sent my PPK in five weeks ago. I'll be interested to see what (if anything) they did to fix it. I had four occupancies of doubling.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Received my PPK tonight back from Ft. Smith. It was very professionally packed in a double box. The internal box labeled with my name, serial number, and case log.

Attached to the outer box was a repair sheet indicating the "cocking piece" had been replaced. The gun had obviously been test fired and had a blue plastic flag in the chamber.

Included in the package was a nice embroidered Walther patch and cleaning cloth.

Now to see how it shoots. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372132467.340183.jpg

·
Registered
854 Posts
The patch is a nice touch, although the proof will be in the pudding ... on the range. Do keep us posted.
Certainly will do. Hope to shoot it in the next 48 hours.

BTW - I field stripped the gun and cleaned it last night. Two observations:

1) The gun appeared to have powder residue equivalent to at least 25 and perhaps as many as 50 rounds based on my experience. That seems like a lot for test firing but when the words 'went full auto on me' are on the repair request, perhaps they take it seriously :cool:

2) I removed the grips and spent some time observing the mechanisms as I manually cocked and dry fired (with snapcap). Also some DA pulls. There is a noticeable difference in the feel and behavior of the hammer as you cock it. Much more distinct at each click is the only way I can describe it.

Test fire report to follow.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'm pleased to report that 100 rds produced no issues of doubling (or any other issues for that matter).

I intentionally used up a couple of boxes of TulAmmo to make the test even harder :p

With the exception of the 5 wk wait, I'm extremely pleased with the Ft. Smith service experience.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Got my PPK back today! No warning from S&W that it was being sent. Luckily I was home. Came by FedEx. Happily, the wood Hogue grips that I sent it in with were still on it. I was a bit concerned they would exchange them for the original, crappy plastic ones. There is a peen mark behind the trigger on the frame indicating that it had the recall repair done on it. Now I'll have to figure out a day to shoot it and buy some ammo to use in it. I don't like using crappy ammo and the price of good ammo is just plain NUTS.:eek:
Oh yeah...there was a little powder residue inside the barrel, so they definitely test-fired it. Gun was sent in on 6/6 and today is 6/27. Not too bad for return time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi all,
REPORT TIME!
Got a pm from Walther at fr Smith that my PPK recall was complete and that they would be shipping on Thursday.They also said on the test fire they did not like the way the gun ejected so at no charge they replaced the exstractor and spring. I picked up my PPK last night at my local FedEx fascility and when I opened the box and case I found the invoice and note from the smith indicating he was now happy with the function . They included a patch and gun cloth also (a nice customer service act).The service was completed in less than a month I could not be more pleased.I will take it for a test drive as soon as time will allow. I am glade that Walther go back to their own products. I can't beleave the difference in cust service over SW. I will not be buying anything from SW that does not have a drum,and even then I will give it a second thought after SW customer service.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts