21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
According to previous posts from the Walther marketing folks here, the Germans spent some time in Arkansas training the 'smiths there. We can speculate all we want, much to everyone's amusement, but we won't know much of anything for sure until some folks send their pistols in and then get them back from the boys in Fort Smith ... and then, of course, provide us with a report. One thing is certain: We've seen plenty of work come out of Houlten in years past, and not all of it was family-friendly.

At least in this case, I would send an original S&W pistol, made before the recall, back to S&W. But that's just me ... YMMV

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
34 Posts
Deputy,
My PPK after I did some work on it ,functioned perfectly,I only decided to send it in so that I could prove the recall was completed as this will be one of my ccw firearms now cc as come to Illinois. I hope it comes back that way.I will report !

·
Banned
1,543 Posts
I noticed the "new Walther" no longer makes the .32ACP version. That's a shame.The .32 was a lot more comfortable to shoot than the .380.
I had a .32 ACP Houlton SW in PPK/S that came up on the recall list.

I didn't understand why because it worked every time with Winchester 71gr FMC and Winchester 60gr Silvertips.

They sent me a label to send it back but I never did. I just sold it to Cabelas instead. Fact is I didn't really like the over extended tang above the hammer because it didn't feel like a real Walther to me. But it worked perfectly. I just deviated because it didn't feel right to me compared to the earlier versions without that over extended tang.

I was sorry to let it go in retrospect because it worked every time. I wasn't so sorry after replacing it with a Manurhin Police PP .32 and then finally to the PPK/S Ranger .32.

I've been through a lot of PP series in all calibers. I came to the place that the .32 is the only way. I have them all in the PP series now in .32 and I bought ALL OF THEM USED.

Best purchases I've ever made in the PP series. Dates on my signature line for each one. They are all FANTASTIC Walthers.

In .22 I won't bother. In .380 I won't bother.

I've been there with both to realize they are not as reliable in the PP series.

I think SW will take care of your SW Houlton gun. I have no idea what they'd do with your recent .22 production.

In any event I hope you find, in time, what you are looking for.

Take care, Deputy.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I noticed the "new Walther" no longer makes the .32ACP version. That's a shame.The .32 was a lot more comfortable to shoot than the .380.
Deputy, I just picked up a NIB PPK/S .32acp Stainless yesterday, 6/07/13, from my FFL. It was shipped in from Robertson Trading. The test cartrindge shows May 4, 2013 if I recall - been busy and I need to give it a cleaning before I take it to the range. So the .32 acp PPK/S was still being made by S&W for Walther a month ago.
DennisG

·
Registered
75 Posts
True, but S&W gives explicit details for what is required to return the gun and pays both ways for shipping. I don't see anything at the Walther website about recalls for the PPK at all. Just the PK380. Since S&W was the one that built the gun in the first place, and they have more experienced gunsmiths there that have already worked on the problem (and bungled the repairs on many guns), I still think S&W is the place to send it. Note also that if they DO bungle the repair, there IS a chance you can exchange the gun for something else in the S&W line. We already have a member who has done that with a defective Walther.
I like many people have delt with S&W before and it has gone well up till now. So far my Smith walthers are fine but if I have to send one back they'd better make it right. If they can't find a way to fix their own junk then we'll have to work something else out. I'm pretty hard nosed about firearms malfunctions. I don't think Smith or any other company has any right to whine about that sort of thing. If they build them right from the factory then they will not have to worry about getting them back. I'm interested to hear how it goes.

·
Registered
854 Posts
My S&W PPK (Jan '13 manufacture) is in Ft. Smith for repair (non-recall). I'll report when it's back.

So far the customer service has been very good but the estimated 10 day turnaround has come and gone. They apologized for the delay last time I checked and blamed it on 'the changeover'.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Deputy, I just picked up a NIB PPK/S .32acp Stainless yesterday, 6/07/13, from my FFL. It was shipped in from Robertson Trading. The test cartrindge shows May 4, 2013 if I recall - been busy and I need to give it a cleaning before I take it to the range. So the .32 acp PPK/S was still being made by S&W for Walther a month ago.
DennisG
Check the new Walther website. Only .380 PPKs are shown.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
854 Posts
Just got my confirmation from FedEx that S&W received my PPK. :)
Welcome to the queue. Apparently Ft. Smith has only a small number of smiths trained to work on our guns and the backlog is now nearing 30 days before they even look at it. I'm at day 25 and counting since FedEx dropped it off.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

·
Registered
854 Posts
Sad part is I was told 7-10 days when they logged the gun in on May 20th. It's now gone up considerably.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi all,
When I sent mine in on 6/4 I was told about 3 weeks so we will see.I don't care if takes longer the people in Fort Smith were so much better with customer service than SW was the last time I delt with them and I hope with German training that there smiths are as good as cust service.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
21 - 40 of 89 Posts