Walther Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello one and all! I realize this is probably not the proper place for this post, and move it if necessary. But after a lengthy hiatus, I have returned! No rhyme or reason aside from life took off at hyper speed and I got wound up in it. Bought my first house, got engaged to my lovely fiancée, and work has been picking up more and more even with this fake new virus. Who knew a machinist and engineering fabricator could work from home??? A clue: 3-D printers and new design software.

Haven’t purchased too many new guns lately, as the house purchase and all the included monetary headaches has put a little strain on it. I did purchase a Mauser action right before we got swept up in the housing market and have been saving to finish it. I actually got the stock delivered today! Have been talking to the barrel maker up in New York State about what I want to do. I need to cut the channel for the bolt handle as Mausers come in all sorts of bolt configurations, so the stock company would not cut the bolt channel. Oh well, Dremel and taking my time and it will be all set. Plus I want to put a varmint barrel on, and so I will need to shave out the barrel channel a bit. Brownell’s, here I come.

This COVID-19 has been a real pain in this part of Pennsylvania. Up where my parents live, their county commissioner finally had had enough with the malarkey and lifted restrictions on the county. At least, this is what I have been told by a few people that live up there. Whether it is true, or just that they are refusing to enforce the proverbial clown car full of ”orders” from Harrisburg, I am happy for them up there. But my proximity to Philthadelphia and our crappy excuses for politicians bowing down to Comrade Wolf and his throne means that we are under stricter rules than most of the state or country even. So I work from home as long as I can stand it, and throw a mask on and go out in public just to be sane. Only having the fiancee to talk to in person aside from my neighbors on occasion, I have sufficed to phone calls to whomever will listen.

I know there are a few people on here that I would talk with often, and I do feel bad for disappearing like I did for so long, but please do catch me up to speed as I peruse the site. Can’t wait to see what is going on in the world of Walther!!

Until we talk again!

-BF88

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
Glad to see you back. You probably didn't miss much. This place has really slowed down in the last couple of years.

Being a machinist and all, fitting that barrelled action to the stock, or cutting a relief for the bolt handle should be a piece of cake.

About 60 years ago I bought an old Mauser and a aftermarket walnut stock. It took a lot of whittling and fitting to get that Mauser to fit that aftermarket stock. I used a candle/flame to put a little soot on the action/barrel, then gently sit it into the stock, give it a good press, then lift er' back out. Then grab my wood chisel/gouge and gently remove all the black spots. Had to keep repeating that until the thing finally fit.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Picked up an FN 98 action for almost nothing at an estate sale, less than $400 before tax tag and title. Only wear on it was from opening and closing the action a few times. Checked the lug engagement, all the ins and outs, was a dream come true. Picked up and installed a rear shroud with the Winchester style three position throw lever for the safety. That Mauser wing wasn't doing it for me. Didn't even have to make an extra adjustment in the stock, which was nice. Boyd's made the stock, and it was a drop in fit except for the bottom metal. But I knew that going in. Heck the bolt almost completely closes without the bolt channel. So I think a minimal amount removed will get me where I need to be. Extra plus. Brownell's sells a really nice set of woodworking tools for opening up the barrel channel.

Thank you for welcoming me back. I was happy to get back on and see all the new stuff. Walther's have always held a special place in my heart, and this is the one place I can come to gaze and browse to my heart's content.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts