Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me about any websites that I could visit, that explains how to identify my P99 as 100% German. It has all of the 'marks' stamped on the pistol, but I don't understand what they mean.
THANKS!!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Boyscout
staghorn - Ulm proof..... it sometimes gets reffered to as the proofhouse.... but I was told that it is not a building but that a government emplyee goes to the factory to shoot the "proofrounds"
eagle/N - shows that the gun was shot with at least one double preasure round. This is done by a government employee.... he then stamps the gun with the "egle/N" mark. As to the P99 I was told at Walther that the only part that gets stamped by this emplyee is the frame since the slide and barrel are too hard and wear out the stamp too fast. So Walther can mark the barrel and the slide themselfs (done by laser now) and the frame gets marked by the government employee. Thes shots just go into a "black hole" as the testfiring done by the employees (for the test target) and the proof round is not the same. The test shots fired for the target is just to make sure the sights are on target

date code... just shows what year the gun was proofed....
on early Walthers (HK's and German Sig's and other german guns) this was done in numerals and in 1977 it switched to the "date code" as we now know it today

·
Registered
93 Posts
It was most likely manufactured in Ulm, Germany, where Walther's manufacturing facility is located. Since Walther is the manufacturer...

As for when, look at the datecode, and visit the FAQ that Guevera pointed you to...

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
If it is a Walther P99 it was made in Ulm (*edit.. it should also say "Carl Walther, Ulm/Do" on the left side of the frame)... the staghorn proofmark shows it was proofed in Ulm
the date code is as follows
A B C D E F G H I K
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
the "J" is left out since in the German writing they look almost alike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts