Walther Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a lot of stuff recently about the quality difference between Walther's made in Ulm and those made in a different plant by Umarex. How exactly do you tell the difference? Is there a specific marking?

Premium Member
Most of the time we go by the proof mark. The Ulm proof is a stag antler and the Cologne (Umarex) proof is a shield with three bishops hats. But I have seen pistols that didn't follow this.

The Ulm guns are the P99, PPQ, PDP, PPS, and GSP.

The Umarex guns are the P22, PK380, CCP, and the .22's produced under license like the Colt 1911 and Uzi.

Attachments

Registered
PDP Full Size 4.5"
Most of the time we go by the proof mark. The Ulm proof is a stag antler and the Cologne (Umarex) proof is a shield with three bishops hats. But I have seen pistols that didn't follow this.
My recently purchased PDP (ser: FDOxxxx) has no proof marks except for the DE and the CIP over N on the slide and barrel, and on the polymer frame: "WALTHER ARMS, FORT SMITH, AR", "MADE IN GERMANY" and "DE 2022" on the ejector side, and "CARL WALTHER ULM/DONAU" on the other side.

(Of course CIP N indicates nitro proofed and DONAU is German for Danube, the river that runs through Ulm).

Premium Member
My recently purchased PDP (ser: FDOxxxx) has no proof marks except for...
If it has a CIP/N proof then you should have an antler on there somewhere. On my 2019 (BK) Q5 SF they marked it on the dust cover between the trigger guard and picatinny rail.
Product Grey Font Material property Rim

Registered
HKs been moving markings around their firearms these last two years also.

Handled a range friends new Mark 23 last week, couldn't find the date code on the slide (where my 2020 (CA) Mk23 is marked).
Eventually located the date marking (CB) under the trigger guard.

Reactions: Redcat94
1 - 9 of 9 Posts