Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have recently acquired Walther SSP and getting to know the pistol and how to operate it. I have read through the manual and it does not explain how to decock it, once i pull the slide back and release it firing pin will be cocked and dry firing is not an option. Can anyone tell me how to do it safely if I don't have a dry firing insert for SSP? I read somewhere that you can pull back slide and release the trigger to decock it to prevent the firing pin hitting the chamber. Please advise, thank you!

·
Registered
75 Posts
You don't decock one. Your pistol should have come with a blue chamber plug, after using the pistol, insert the chamber plug, close the bolt and then pull the trigger.
Hope this answers your question

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Small plastic drywall anchors from any hardware store fit nicely in a .22 LR chamber and work well to allow dry-firing.

Failing that, retract the slide slightly and insert a thin plastic bread-bag closure from the grocery store into the ejection port in front of the breech face. Let the slide close and pull the trigger.

M

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you @7tcu and @MGMike for the reply! I don't have the original chamber plug but I have already learned the trick with drywall anchors. Interesting idea to use plastic bread-bag closure, I guess I can use any thin plastic piece like a credit card as well. Another trick that I was suggested in another forum is to pull the bolt a bit back and release a trigger while chamber is not fully closed so the pin does not make metal to metal contact when it hits. Seems to be working fine as well. Thank you guys, I learn as go :).

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
.... Another trick that I was suggested in another forum is to pull the bolt a bit back and release a trigger while chamber is not fully closed so the pin does not make metal to metal contact when it hits. Seems to be working fine as well...
Whether that trick avoids battering depends on the design of the firearm, i.e., whether it's hammer- or striker-fired, the method of searing, the distance of firing pin travel and how the forward movement is halted. Some guns can be decocked in that fashion without the possibility of damage; others cannot.

M

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you are worried about the travel, just put a spent round in the chamber and pull the trigger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts