Walther Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is posted somewhere but I looked and couldn't find it. How do you remove the striker assembly in a P99c to clean? Thanks.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DANG! I wanted to flame somebody for not searching and reading stickys!:D

BTW, its also in the manual, but I only read the manual as a last resort.
Be patient. There will be plenty of other opportunities to flame me. :D

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you can easily remove the striker with a chisel and hammer.

you didn't say remove it correctly or you wanted to put it back so I just gave you the easy way to remove it.
Thank you. Next time I will endeavor to be clearer.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was just kidding. i myself am curious how difficult it would be to take out the striker, actually it is in the instructions but it also states you normally don't need to take it out unless detail cleaning, and i hate to put an idiot mark on it for no reason.
I was beyond kidding in my reply. :)

Yeah, I read the same thing. I only thought since I have experienced the occasional light strike with my new P99c in 9mm, I might want to clean the striker but I too am concerned about leaving an idiot mark. Been there, done that. As I am fond of telling folks, my tool box at home consists of a butter knife and the Yellow Pages. If I can't fit it with the butter knife, I grab the Yellow Pages.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was beyond kidding in my reply. :)

Yeah, I read the same thing. I only thought since I have experienced the occasional light strike with my new P99c in 9mm, I might want to clean the striker but I too am concerned about leaving an idiot mark. Been there, done that. As I am fond of telling folks, my tool box at home consists of a butter knife and the Yellow Pages. If I can't fit it with the butter knife, I grab the Yellow Pages.
hah! i have the butter knife and downey paper towels.

btw, i'm very cautious about taking these complex things apart and not putting it back together correctly. I was at the range the other day and wanted to rent their 44 magnum revolver and they told me they had no ammo. I said don't worry i have the ammo in my bag as I took a friend with me and didn't want him to shoot my classic S&W 44mag, so we agreed to just rent one.

The guy goes on to say how they don't let people put their own ammo in it, I'm like why not these are factory loads I have, then proceeds to tell me a story about a P99

Said they had a P99 they used to rent out a few months back, a guy brings in his own ammo, and fires some of his own rounds off when bam, the pistol suddenly blows up into pieces, and he's lucky it didn't blow up in his face.

Goes on to say how they dont want to have anymore liability with people using their own rounds. But my point in bringing the story up is that they said P99 blowing up, that's something new to me. The only thing I can think of that would cause it to blow up is not the rounds, but rather the striker was tampered with???

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Faulty striker can't make the gun blow up - Only a squib or an overcharge.

As for taking the striker out - JEnglish states that he does it everytime he cleans the gun - It really isn't necssary to do that every time. I checked mine at 1500 rounds, and it was not dirty at all.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
taking out the striker is the easy part......and I do it at about every 1000 rounds to clean it ....
however taking appart the striker assembly is a bit harder... but there is some pics in the "P99 how to" thread with pics

·
Registered
58 Posts
Faulty striker can't make the gun blow up - Only a squib or an overcharge.

As for taking the striker out - JEnglish states that he does it everytime he cleans the gun - It really isn't necssary to do that every time. I checked mine at 1500 rounds, and it was not dirty at all.

if it doesn't get that dirty, would an overnight dip in bowl of mpro be enough to loosen any dirt inside, and just airdry with compressor?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For all you know it may not have even been a P99 that "blew up" but another gun and the guy just threw out the first name he could think of figuring he just needed to make a point and lay down the law. More than likely though it was ammo related. When I reload even though I use a progressive press and it slows me down a little, I visually check the powder level of every round before seating the bullet. Fortunately, a double charge would overflow the case but no powder can be equally dangerous causing a squib load and the bullet lodged in the barrel. Follow that up with a good round, and wammooo.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Lots of ranges that rent guns won't let you shoot your own ammo for just this reason. Besides they can make more money renting you their gun and buying their ammo.

More than likely it was a double charge. Even with a squib in the barrel gun not likely to "blow up" into pieces...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts