Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*Re-edit 26 September 2017*

Want to post nice pictures you took of your Walther but don’t know how? Having an issue with your PPK and want to show up-close pictures of the problem area for the gurus to look over but can’t figure it out? Follow this guide and your pictures will appear in your posts in no time. Here’s how it’s done… follow these easy steps:

1) Preferred: simply up images directly to the Forum by attaching the picture files to your post. Scroll down below the text window and you'll find an option to manage attachments:

Click the uppermost available slot, locate your pictures files and upload the data directly to the Forum server. Use multiple slots for more than one file:

When you're finished with your post you'll find the image(s) will initially appear as a thumbnail below the post. Clicking the thumbnails will reveal the full resolution of your picture and allow the gurus and geeks to view your Walther in all its glory.

Now, you may have noticed images imbedded within this post, which look spiffy and allow readers to view pictures without the need to click anything or open new windows. Such images are of a much lower resolution and limited in bandwidth but are still nice. How to? First, you'll need to imbed the physical URL location of your image file directly into your post by using a little HTML wizardry but thankfully, since most people don't know how to write HTML code it's easy if you follow these steps:

First, you must upload your image file to a reliable and stable image hosting site. Previously, this discussion was based on using Photobucket to host images but since, they've made disastrous corporate decisions and are no longer a viable entity. Instead, use the hosting site of your choice (Imgur is free and über-easy to use) and upload your image files to their server. Once you've done so, use your file hosting site's tools to locate the direct link to your image and copy it into your computer's clipboard.

Once the link is copied, return to your post and leave the cursor where you want the image to appear in your post like this:

Next, click the "Moon rising above the mountains" icon:

A window will now appear, asking for the URL/direct link to your image file. Paste the link into this window and click OK:

You'll see the link to your image is now neatly posted to your thread with the necessary HTML brackets in place. Don't mess with any of the text or edit the link it puts down:

When you're finished, publish your thoughts and your images will appear placed throughout your thread. I hope this helps... let me know if you're stuck or need a hand!

-Pilotsteve

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
If you copy the correct link from PB you can just paste it directly in the reply box and you're done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
PP pics.

ok I have some pics. of my new PP in my attachments. Now I can't figger out how to start a thread to show. Help please. Bob

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Judging from the post I just read, you figured it out. But for future reference, in the event that others have issues, just look at the upper left side of the screen; you'll see a blue box that reads: New Thread

Punch it with the mouse and off you go.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Why is it that so many of the posted pics on this board are so super large? I'm on several other boards and never notice this problem on those sites. Is there a default setting that the mods can change to make it easier to see normal size pics here?

BTW, thanks for all you do mods!!!

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
People will take a picture in a large format, like 300 dpi, and then post it. They do not change it to 72dpi and the size to something like 8"x5", before posting.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,853 Posts
It's not just convenience that drives people NOT to resize; there's a tangible benefit -- specifically the ability to zoom in on the picture and see actual details. Added detail is something that's often important when looking at firearm proof marks, reductive modifications, blemishes, and the like ... and you rarely get the required amount of detail with low DPI images of small sizes.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Why not take a closeup picture of the area in question or details. It uses a lot of memory and time to upload a large picture and also to look at the large formatted pictures. I generally just move on when a large one is starting to load.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I, for one, like larger photos. Bigger is better, and all of that... ;)

·
Super Moderator
3,853 Posts
Why not take a closeup picture of the area in question or details. It uses a lot of memory and time to upload a large picture and also to look at the large formatted pictures. I generally just move on when a large one is starting to load.
You seem to forget taking, naming, and uploading additional photos just because Jaems wants small ones .... consumes more time on the part of the provider of the photo because they must shoot more shots (and/or crop them), upload more photos to photobucket, name more photos them once on photobucket, and then link multiple photos into a single post. (Each of those things take time.)

Thus, most people elect to do fewer, larger photos instead of multiple smaller ones. When they do, everyone wins. How? It's less work for the person providing the image, people who want detail can have it, and people who don't like large photos can readily skip them.

Thus, I'm not sure where the complaint is... or why. If the complaint is that you want other people to do more work so that you can have pages that load more quickly or pages you don't have to skip, well, that's not even a reasonable complaint in my book ... and the reasonable/realistic solution to THAT complaint is for you to get a faster connection (or, if you can't, then aggregate and multiplex multiple small connections ... which anyone can do, even with dial-up, if they put their minds and dollars to it).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts