Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again everyone.

So, in my searching for a PPK... how do I know "what it's worth?" A cursory look at gunbroker.com does not show a "show only completed sales" checkbox like eBay does, so I can see recent sale prices.

Is there a good way to determine value of a PPK?

Some areas I assume that matter:
  • year manufactured (walther, ranger/interarms, s&w, etc)
  • caliber
  • style (stainless, blued, etc)
  • sale contents (gun, magazines, original box/paperwork/shot proof/etc)

My _hope_ is that there is some kind of vague baseline valuation based on year of manufacture alone, and then the other listed items "add ~$200" or "subtract ~$50" or the like ....

And yes, I totally expect variation, and I absolutely know the old saying that "it's worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it." But being that I'm the guy paying, I'd like to have a general sense of what's a fair price, given that there is so much variety of PPK out there.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!
..dane

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here's an example of one a friend is looking to sell for around $350. Don't know yet if it includes original box, etc., but he did include this photo...

Serial number A002946. So based on a chart I saw elsewhere on this forum, looks like a 1986 date of manufacture...

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Huh, it seems once registered for gunbroker, I can in fact search completed sales... so that is at least better than nothing. Trying to find a few representative examples to go from, but I haven't found more than a handful after some searching...

If anyone has any additional advice how to "value" a gun for a private sale/purchase, I would greatly appreciate it..

cheers,
..dane

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
This is very general and not at all related to the PPK, but I think are some good rules of thumb.

For any gun that is currently in production or still has new inventory available, the used price will be about $150 less then new for almost every gun. Exceptions to this rule are modified guns, or very high-priced guns that are geared towards a niche.

IF, all original box and materials are available any sale includes a holster, you might get $100 below new street price.

Condition matters.

How do I know this? Becuase this is basically how used guns are priced at the LGS is where I work. As long as they are in the $150 ish range less than new, they seem to move just fine.

Any used gun that has been sitting around for 60 days, will get discounted. Sometimes, after 30 days.

Glocks such as G19s and the 42s and 43s seem to sell $100 less than new. People gobble them up right away.

Any extra toys with the gun (Holsters etc...) Help to move the gun faster but you won’t get more for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts