Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive seen videos from Walther that show no solvent used, all cleaning is dry cleaning + lube the rails. Ive seen videos where everything is soaked in solvent. I clean my other guns with CLP in the barrel + brass brush, dry brush inside of the slide and frame, then dry brust + clp over areas that are still dirty then wipe it all down before lube the rails and call it good.
Do walthers need to be cleaned dry? do they run better dry?

·
Registered
465 Posts
This should be an interesting thread. I run all my CC pistols a little on the dry side and range or safe queens a little on the wet side. I'm an avid waterfowler and after decades of extreme cold/wet/frozen conditions I dumped traditional oils and only use CLP-no jams, no sluggish actions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cleaning? You're suppose to clean these guns? I generally run mine dirty but when I do my yearly cleaning I use M-Pro 7 cleaner and oil. I run mine dry seeing that I really don't clean it.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Generally, you should lube all metal to metal contact surfaces that have absolutely no contact with live cartridges, with a few exceptions. The inside of the mag body, the breechface, the feedramp, the chamber, and the rifling should be kept dry if you are planning to run live rounds through the pistol. You should also keep the striker/firing pin, and the channel that it rides in, completely dry.

As far as cleaning, there is a pretty big grey area between completely spotless, and too dirty to work. Just use common sense with this one. Personally, I clean my firearms the first chance I get after shooting them. I clean them with a bronze brush and solvent designed for pistols that will not damage any polymer or non-metal parts. While cleaning, inspect for abnormal wear, damage, or broken parts.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use clp. When i am done shooting. i wipe down, run a bare brush thru the barrel. Re lube with CLP. been doing that for 10 years. seems to be working fine for me. about once a year i use bore solvent on the barrel.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't understand "cleaned dry", that basically means "wipe down". I've used ballistol on mine, just spray in the barrel let it do its thing. Spray lightly on the frame and slide and do some work with a nylon brush then wipe up with patches/nylon picks and some gun cleaning qtip type things. Apply 2 drops of oil on barrel/locking lugs, 2 on slide, 1 split up on parts of frame and call it good. When I say a drop I mean the super fine tip type drop not right out of the hoppes bottle drop

Sent from my H8266 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
322 Posts
Based on trials of most cleaning and maintenance products, and on recommendation of what another German OEM uses, I've found the best cleaner to be MPro7, and best lube to be Slip 2000 EWL. Even after nearly 5K rounds between cleanings, nearly all the crud left just wipes off. YMMV....btw, I don't lube gun between cleanings cuz they just run 100% reliably without in between cleaning additional lube.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
I think cleaning depends upon usage.

I clean my EDC after each range trip which means weekly. I use Ballistol and maybe some machine gunner's lube. I don't need or use much.

I depend on my weapon, I just don't like a dirty weapon (heck, I don't like a dirty car either both show a lack of respect).

If my weapons have gone swimming in the ocean I may be a bit more thorough and completely disassemble the slide, and mag, pitch everything (including the frame) into the ultra sonic bath and wipe everything off carefully with a silicone rag before reassembly but generally just my old buddy Ballistol.

I've also found weekly cleaning gives me time to closely inspect my weapon...that's a good thing, especially when one carries about 17 hours a day, lots of dirt and grim builds up on your weapon over a week plus those holster boogers!

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I have friends who clean their pistols in intervals that measure in the thousands. I've always been against this practice though, especially in carry pistols.

I've seen far too many parts breakages to want to go that many rounds before taking the pistol apart and inspecting the condition of the parts, and if you are going to take the pistol apart to inspect the parts, why not clean and lube it?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
No Walthers don't need to be cleaned dry. I normally use Breakfree CLP to clean bore, including use of bronze brush in bore wet with Breakfree CLP. I do on occasion use Hoppes NO 9 to clean the bore as most CLP cleaners don't remove any copper though in general copper is not a problem in pistol bores.

I lube all my pistols a little on the wet side but not dripping wet but nothing inside the firing pin channel. I would rather have it lubed a bit too wet than too dry especially slide rails and frame rails/steel frame tabs. I always lube entire exterior or barrel though lightly. A needle oiler helps preserve oil and makes it easy to pit just enough oil at most lube points. I use M-Pro 7 LPX or Slip 2000 EWL 30 oil for lube these days on my poly frame pistols.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts