Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After cleaning, how much oil to use for storage? Right now I am using gun oil spray then just wiping it off, reassembling and putting it away. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
539 Posts
It depends on the storage conditions. Cool and dry you only need a thin coat of oil. Long term storage in wet and warm conditions you may as well dunk it in a bucket of 10W30 :)

Just remember to clean your gun thoroughly if it's been in storage a long time. Certain oils can harden and loose their lubricating properties.

Assuming you're talking about simply cleaning the gun and putting it away till next week's training session you should simply follow the directions and apply only a super thin sheen of oil. That's why you're supposed to run dry patches through the barrel after lubing it. Super thin sheen.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The answer to this question depends greatly on what the poster means by Storage. As has already been pointed out by others .....is it long term or short term storage??

For long term [ more than 30 days ] I like to use one of the many excellent gun greases on the market TW25B is my personal favorite.
Remember, gun oils can dissipate over time...........and leave your bore exposed to moisture.

For short term storage: Just about any grade of gun oil can be used safely

If you want to store a pistol for long term, but have it at the ready --- I would use a grease on the rails and gun oil everywhere else. No need to go crazy with either product ......moderation will work fine in this application.

JF.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts