Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I love my little, late-run, 9mm CCP (M1)
I've been more of a revolver guy until getting to know semi-autos again lately.
I want mine for both carry and home defense if I can't get to my shotgun.
For this I leave it loaded 24/7, but I've only been keeping 5 to 6 rounds (out of 8 magazine capacity) in it as not to compress the spring too much.
Is this unnecessary? I would like it to operate 10 or 20 years from now.
** Also, (my main question) the gun came with 2 magazines...
I have heard it is prudent to unload one and load the other for a while to relax the otherwise compressed spring.
Is this true, and if so, how often would you do this?

I really do like the gun and have had zero issues with it.
I feel some issues must have been with certain early units (and maybe people not following Walther's advice about things like ammo).
Just a dream of a gun for the price I paid.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Jeff

·
Registered
105 Posts
Springs in magazines wear out from use. compress, uncompressed, compress, uncompressed .....
A compressed magazine spring doesn't wear out just sitting there.
If it makes you feel better, only load 7 instead of 8.
Recoil springs, for example, are swapped out after XXXX amount of rounds, not how much time the gun has sat on a shelf unfired. It's all about use. Compression and decompression of the spring.
Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks, I mean -- that makes more sense to me, what you're saying. That the compression & decompression is actually what work-hardens it. It was a pretty, truly knowledgeable guy (usually) that told me otherwise, and so that's why I paid attention at all. But What you say makes more intuitive sense to me. I say intuitive not logical because I'm not a metallurgist.
Thanks again; I think I won't worry and, when inactive, I'll just keep 6 rounds in one mag and pickle the other.
Your input really helps.
Jeff in Florida

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hello,
I love my little, late-run, 9mm CCP (M1)
I've been more of a revolver guy until getting to know semi-autos again lately.
I want mine for both carry and home defense if I can't get to my shotgun.
For this I leave it loaded 24/7, but I've only been keeping 5 to 6 rounds (out of 8 magazine capacity) in it as not to compress the spring too much.
Is this unnecessary? I would like it to operate 10 or 20 years from now.
** Also, (my main question) the gun came with 2 magazines...
I have heard it is prudent to unload one and load the other for a while to relax the otherwise compressed spring.
Is this true, and if so, how often would you do this?

I really do like the gun and have had zero issues with it.
I feel some issues must have been with certain early units (and maybe people not following Walther's advice about things like ammo).
Just a dream of a gun for the price I paid.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Jeff
Sigh..... Revolver guy falling back on wisetails, gun myths, and dated gospel. Buy quality mags. Keep clean and lubed. Your worrying about a dated problem with some designs...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
If I had a nickle for every time this question was asked on the gun boards, I could drink free for a week.
Listen to Walther .22lr. This is the generally accepted answer. I've fully loaded (for years) AR mags that work just fine when asked.
If you're really worried about it, don't top off the mag (the proverbial 'Barney bullet') after charging your pistol.
Moon

·
Registered
109 Posts
If I had a nickle for every time this question was asked on the gun boards, I could drink free for a week.
Listen to Walther .22lr. This is the generally accepted answer. I've fully loaded (for years) AR mags that work just fine when asked.
If you're really worried about it, don't top off the mag (the proverbial 'Barney bullet') after charging your pistol.
Moon
That's actually what I do with my P938. It's not as much about the magazine spring as it is about the resistance against the bottom of the slide from that top round in the magazine. It takes a good bit of pressure to seat a fully loaded magazine under a closed slide, and I don't want a single thing to go wrong after that first shot if I need all six rounds to fire and cycle when it is most critical. Sub-compact handguns have come a long way in recent years, but I still only top off a magazine for larger handguns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts