Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a P99 AS that I really like. I also have a HK VP that I really like. Seems these two guns are direct competitors to the PPQ.

So, what am I missing out on with the PPQ? I'm considering one. Would be for range use, home defense, maybe carry or competition at some point.

Input from those who have direct experience?

·
Registered
41 Posts
i have a PPQ. use it for home defense. i love the ergonomics and i shoot it well. i didn't like my full sized VP9. i just couldn't find the right combination of grips to make it comfortable. however, i have a VP9sk that i use for cc. i love this gun. it's slightly smaller, and i was able to get it sized so it also fits like a glove. i've recently bought a Sig p365. it's for pocket carry, maybe ankle, any time even the VP9sk seems a bit too large to carry. i find the PPQ trigger is the best, followed by the HK. you could make a case for me dumping the HK since it and the Sig both carry ten rounds, but i'm keeping the VP9sk because it's easier to shoot and i'm more accurate with it. i don't know anything about the P99

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
I have the P99 and the PPQ. The differences between the two come down to the trigger action and relatively minor things like grip texture.

The P99 has that sort of DA/SA trigger and the PPQ has that consistent action trigger like a Glock or VP9. Only better. A lot better.

Also the PPQ is available with the American-style button magazine release. The P99 is only available with the paddle style. That's a big deal to some folks, to others not so much.

I think of the PPQ as an evolved P99. Not necessarily better, just evolved to have the feature a lot of shooters are looking for today.

The PPQ has the grip shape and general feel of the P99 along with what is probably the best consistent action striker fired trigger on the market. If that sounds like something you'd like, go for it.

I

·
Registered
705 Posts
I don't look at the P99 AS as a PPQ competitor, maybe the QA could be seen as one.
The VP9 is a direct competitor but IMO the PPQ has a better trigger than the VP9.

When the VP9 was first released I wanted to get one but every time I went to any of my LGS's they were sold out and I'd look at the PPQ and just really liked it.
Fast forward a year or so I was able to shoot both and I was sold on the PPQ over the VP9.

I have a full size and compact P99 which is my CCW gun and a full size PPQ M1 which is my favorite full size gun. The ability to use P99 mags is a huge plus.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
As Jimmo952 said, the PPQ is not necessarily better or worse than the P99. It is essentially a single action only P99 - they started with the P99 design and just removed the DA trigger pull and the decocker and added a very small amount of weight to the SA trigger pull (P99 SA is ~ 4 pounds, PPQ is more like 5 pounds). Other than the trigger, the differences are cosmetic only.

·
Premium Member
13,891 Posts
A PPQ is simply a P99 without a de-cocker and a 'single action only' trigger. Both guns SA trigger pull are pretty much identical....some give the edge to the P99, for one reason or another.....spiting hairs really.

It comes down to whether your want a DA/SA, de-cocker combo, or a SA only. If you de-cock the P99, then after that first DA trigger pull, you'll be in SA mode (PPQ mode) :D.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I will also mention that the P99AS trigger breaks a little farther back than the PPQ and thus I prefer that the PPQ breaks a little farther forward.

Also own a PPQ 4 inch barrel and a VP9 and find both to be terrific and really can't choose a favorite between the two and both have been 100 percent reliable with any ammo I have tried. PPQ trigger is a little bit better desk firing but does not make a difference in live fire. However for CCW I choose my Gen 2 Glock 19 over both or any other 15 round pistol.

You should be able to find a PPQ to try out and help determine if you want to buy one or not already owning a VP9.

Reactions: leadcounsel

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
The PPQ is just different than the P99 but they both are great guns. You can’t go wrong with either.

·
Registered
492 Posts
If you are planning to get into competition then the PPQ gives you some different options: 5 inch models in the M1 or M2 variety, Q5 match, and Q5 SF.

Another option for home defense and/or carry is the PPQ 45, not a choice of caliber for a P99.

I have a few PPQs and a P99c. They’re all great, but have different strengths depending on the use.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Like others have said, I see them as equal but different. My wife uses a PPQ for home defense and I use a P99 AS for both home defense and carry. We intentionally got these guns because it gives her a striker-fired/SA gun and me my preferred DA/SA trigger in guns that take the same mags and share holsters in one direction (The P99 fits our PPQ holsters). Also as far as grip texture, on stock guns the PPQ is better, but I prefer my stippled P99 over either factory option. That part's pretty easy to change.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I own both the full size P99 AS and PPQ in 9mm with paddle mag releases. I can't add much to what has already been said other than I disagree that the PPQ is an "evolved" P99 or in any way "superior" pistol. Quite the opposite actually... my opinion is that the PPQ is a watered down P99 for the American market who whine about DA/SA trigger systems because "it's too confusing with that first DA shot" and demand that every pistol have the "same trigger pull every time" like a Glock or any other firearms manufacturer who has their version of a Glock. The truth is the PPQ wouldn't exist if it weren't for the P99 as the PPQ is essentially the exact same firearm with a trigger that pretty much anyone, regardless of experience, can shoot well (almost to the point of being boring to be honest). The P99 is more versatile, especially for carry, and is a more forward thinking pistol, but that's not how most people feel about it. Again, just my opinion. I don't really feel like you need a PPQ if you already own a P99 AS and the others you mentioned.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I agree, get both then...justify it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can’t understand why people say first DA shot on P99AS. That decocker is there but you don’t have to use it, right?
Its there because the light SA trigger pull on the AS is so short and light and lacking any other safety features that one really shouldn’t carry or draw in a hurry in that state. The full DA trigger pull is much safer until your sights are on target.

I have a Q5 steel frame and a 11yr old P99AS and the Q5 is cool, but the P99 still fits like a glove and shoots very very well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts