Walther Forums banner

221 - 240 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Those wood grips look great!

Thanks.

Yours looks spotless, nice example.

The wood grips and unfired outside Ulm condition had me do the 7hr round trip drive from D/FW to Houston to D/FW.
I'll never forget the trip, monsoon rain the entire drive, both ways.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks.

Yours looks spotless, nice example.

The wood grips and unfired outside Ulm condition had me do the 7hr round trip drive from D/FW to Houston to D/FW.
I'll never forget the trip, monsoon rain the entire drive, both ways.
You're welcome! Thanks! Oh man, I've made a drive thru one of those Texas gully-washers before. Six years ago I was working in College Station for the week but, flying out of Houston. It rained so hard the Friday afternoon I was supposed to fly that I had to pull-over and wait about 20 minutes before continuing. Couldn't see three feet in front of me. By the time I got to there, the airport was flooded, my flight was cancelled and I had to drive over to San Antonio to fly home Saturday morning. It was an adventure!

My P88C was a lucky find on GB: Reasonably priced, mint condition and from a very reputable seller within a reasonable driving distance (2.5 hours) of my home. I can't really call it a impulse-buy because I've been wanting one forever but, it was one of those rare instances of not being either a day late or a dollar short.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
This morning opening my “secret” night stand drawer I starred at my P88, P88C, PP and PPK/s and wondered why I am so in love with this “old” stuff......note next to it a new Springfield TRP Operator 45 shining bright from its youghtfull appearance.................it suddenly hit me...love is blind and my love will last forever....like my 2003 Ford Explorer and 2007 SL55 versus my wife and childrens 1-2 year old modern cars......I am old(er) and I like old stuff.....anybody those thoughts!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought my P-88 twenty years ago ($785 plus dealer-to-dealer transfer fee). I’ve run at least 1500 rounds through it. Seeing the firing pin rise up into position as I take up the slack in the trigger is a unique feedback on the progression of the trigger press.

In thirty years of shooting, this is the only pistol I’ve ever dropped. I bumped my elbow against the gun while it was lying empty at slide lock on the shooting bench and it fell 3-1/2 feet onto a concrete floor. It landed precisely on the base of the left grip and came to rest. One dent on the grip, not a scratch anywhere else!

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
congratulations, excellent conditions!

·
Registered
63 Posts
P88C Love it! Also have PPK/S, P38, Creed, PPS Interested in the new Q4

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your P88C

What I like about my P88 Compact is its low serial number which is 100083. So it's one of the first 100 manufactured exemplars.
Balogh is your P88C one that has the fixed barrel? I've always been curious about those after seeing a couple of them in videos.

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Balogh is your P88C one that has the fixed barrel? I've always been curious about those after seeing a couple of them in videos.
No, it's a standard locked breech action. I can't even imagine that there ever was a P88c with a fixed barrel.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
No need for tilting barrel lock up on a firearm that shoots blanks (9mmPAK).
Worth noting, that P88C-9mmPAK also has a die cast slide.
WOW !!! So there were never any "fixed barrel" versions of the P88C except the ones that shoot blanks?? Darn, guess I'm going to need to take German language classes LOL !! Thanks DeutschlandUberAlles

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
WOW !!! So there were never any "fixed barrel" versions of the P88C except the ones that shoot blanks?? Darn, guess I'm going to need to take German language classes LOL !! Thanks DeutschlandUberAlles

Never say never. The possibility always exists of a "V prefix S/N" (Walther experimental/prototype) firearm in almost any configuration. Including a P88/P88C "fixed barrel" chambered in 9mm Para.

I noticed the die cast slide in the vid by the raised date/mold ID features inside the slide. A dead giveaway to parts produced using this "value enhancing" process.

My knowledge of the German language is barely enough to get myself slapped by der frauleins.

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Darn, guess I'm going to need to take German language classes LOL !!
When it comes to Youtube gun related videos in German language it is often sufficient if you know the terms "Schreckschusswaffe", "Schreckschusspistole", and "Schreckschussrevolver". "Schreckschuss" or "Schreckschuß" (which is the older way of writing it) translates literally to fright shot. So they are just blank guns. In some cases they are capable of firing gas and/or fireworks. All these mentioned guns are quite popular in Germany but sometimes completely unkown in other countries.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Walther used to refer to them as "alarm" pistols (i.e., noisemakers, as opposed to "sharp", i.e., real guns), which could be freely sold in Germany without the restrictions attendant to serious weaponry.

M

·
Registered
14 Posts
Never say never. The possibility always exists of a "V prefix S/N" (Walther experimental/prototype) firearm in almost any configuration. Including a P88/P88C "fixed barrel" chambered in 9mm Para.

I noticed the die cast slide in the vid by the raised date/mold ID features inside the slide. A dead giveaway to parts produced using this "value enhancing" process.

My knowledge of the German language is barely enough to get myself slapped by der frauleins.
ROTFLMAO !!!!!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
9mm PAK stands for Pistole Automatik Knall, with Knall being the sound of a shot. As Mike pointed out, they do not require a license in Germany and even Korth sold the Sky Marshall in 9mm PAK for the princely sum of about $1,500.

Back in the old days, the blank pistols were mostly used in dog training, Schutzhundeausbildung but that is restricted nowadays, too. At some point every highly developed civilization will turn decadent ...

221 - 240 of 240 Posts