Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Except for states with open carry, why would one want a holster for any guns other than their carry (concealed carry) guns?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Open carry, concealed carry, hunting, recreational & period type shooting. What's not to like? I believe every good gun deserved an equally good holster; they just kind of go together. If all you like to do is carry your guns around in plastic boxes, from home to the range, etc, then you won't understand. But for many of us, we love to accessorize, and personally, I enjoy changing out the "carry" gun, and even appreciate well designed and constructed holsters along with my fascination for firearms. I have a large suitcase full of holsters for my handguns, with options for different kinds and methods of carry for each gun, allowing me to suit my carry to a particular type of clothing, weather, or other need.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sometimes your EDC isn’t always every day. For example it’s like belts. You’ve got several belts to match the occasion.

PPS (main EDC) - Clinger IWB holster or waistband if I’m wearing shorts with no belt.
SIG P225A1 (winter / alt carry) - Crossbreed
PP/PPKS (dress for success) - Crossbreed or waistband

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I have holsters for all my guns and I don’t really carry any of them...open or concealed. I mean, they all need a good place to sleep 🙂

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
My holsters fit my needs matching the needs of my EDCs. Going to the Court House? A paddle holster might be a better option because it is move easily removed to put in a locker. Board meeting? Possibly a shoulder holster. Long drive? OWB cross draw(I'm a lefty).

I have a number of holsters to fit my specific weapons and my specific needs. One thing I don't do is buy any "one size fits all" holsters. Belts and holsters are after all life support gear. You get the best you can afford. My life and the lives of my family and friends are worth the expense.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How about a place to stick your gun while your target shooting and changing targets, talking to a fellow shooter etc.

Let me ask you this...why would you want a gun without a holster...and why wouldn't you carry every day?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Like matquig said. But, there are times my Vedder LightTuck IWB holster will not play nice with a skirt, so I have a bellyband that I can use. Different holsters for different circumstances. Sometimes it’s just a personal choice too.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Except for states with open carry, why would one want a holster for any guns other than their carry (concealed carry) guns?
I make video reviews of holsters here in germany...mainly for competition shooting....and use them aswell...;-)....for competition

·
Super Moderator
3,891 Posts
Guns are tools … and we have different guns for different purposes/needs much like we have different screwdrivers for different needs.

Holsters are no different...

As a great example, I carry a PPS Classic as my EDC … and have been since 2010. I open carry sometimes, so I have a holster (and mag carrier) for that. I also carry concealed, so I have multiple holsters for that -- since sometimes I need to deep conceal (in which case I'll Kangaroo Carry; Google it), other times I pocket carry (with a holster to cover the trigger guard in the pocket), and still other times I carry IWB.

And then when I'm on my property doing maintenance, I'll carry my S&W Governor instead. This is my toolbox gun -- as in, it lives in a (locked) toolbox (holstered, of course) when not in use … and stays about as clean as the tools in that toolbox … because it's a tool, not a fashion statement. This pistol has a loadout that's good for self-defense (2x .45 ACP) as well as varmints (2x #4 .410 bore buckshot for muskrats and 2x #8 .410 bore for snakes) thanks to partial moonclips. This is also a perfect example of a situation where I'm using a holster to have a firearm ready as I go about my chores … and what's in that holster NOT being my EDC.

Oh, and I have a holster on the ATV for a 12ga shotty, as well. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why I asked the question

gee, I'm 75 and played sports all my life, so don't have the hunting,farming, background, etc that many of you have....I can appreciate what so many have said ...but for me...if not a carry gun, why have a holster. Carry the other guns in my gun bag to the range...unfortunately we don't have outdoor range near me. Apologize if I sounded stupid on this

·
Registered
360 Posts
KJ, I didn’t think you sounded stupid and I think you’ve got a lot of folks sounding off on the basic theme that we love our guns and that a variety of holsters gives us a ton of choices. Of course any excuse to share and sound off is always welcome. Keep it up. I personally love all the topics.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
It’s not a dumb question.

When I shoot, I carry five pistols usually in a range bag, no holsters but they are in gun holders. I then may carry another 5 or 6 Gun’s and they will have holsters Buy in a case so they don’t get banged up.

·
Premium Member
13,813 Posts
Joe, I have holsters for ALL my 'carry' guns. I don't have ANY guns simply for range use, and I'm not really a collector. When I go to the range, I always take more than one gun. I'll be carrying 'one' and the others are either carried in a foam lined hard case, which will hold up to 4 pistols. Occasionally, I'll carry an additional pistol or two in my range bag, which is usually regulated to ammo and other poop. But, I don't just stick the pistol in one of the pockets of the range bag, I use a pistol bag/rug.....like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-13-BLA...wwAAOSw7GRZMscJ:sc:USPSFirstClass!76123!US!-1

So, you need holsters for your carry guns and pistol rugs/bags for your other pistols for the ride to and from the range or the North 40. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts