Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was all psyched up to get myself a P-22 and found out it has to be a CA approved one. I'm told the CA one is unable to be modified to fire full auto, like older ones apparantly could.
so, i have two questions:

1. Did Walther make ALL new P-22's CA legal, or just ones being sold here?

2. If the CA legal ones are only sold in CA, are there any other mechanical issues that are different from the regular version?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The big difference seems to be that a cap is screwed over the short thread at the end of the barrel so a silencer cannot be attached. Then the barrel is welded or otherwise made non-removable from the frame. I was all hot to get the 3 1/2-inch barrel so I could convert our 5-inch target model at will. No dice. :mad:
Last I read Walther America was still selling replacement barrels for everyone else.
Of course the magazine is limited to ten rounds in Kalifornia no matter what you buy. Not sure if other states get more rounds in a P22 magazine. :rolleyes:

Russell

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I have seen that on the 'net. Has anyone tried it? A question arises about the spring being strong enough to push the last three rounds up and feed properly.

I'd like to know more about the full-auto conversion as well. Of course I would never try either of these options under current PRK law. Someday I will move to a more Second Amendment friendly state.

Russell

·
Registered
231 Posts
CA P22 model

I bought a Walter P22 before there was such a thing as a California model.

The regular model was on the CA approved list.

Then the brain trust that makes up the CA DOJ discovered that the gun they approved had a threaded barrel. You see the threaded end on the barrel could possibly have a silencer attached. About 18 months after I bought my gun the CA DOJ sent out a letter stating that I had 30 days to send my pistol to S&W for a correction. Had I not complied then I would have been in possession of an assault weapon. Those 22 LR pistols do make quite the assault weapon, right?

Well off to S&W factory it went- when it returned, all they did was replace the removable barrel nut with a "barrel nut" that has no notches in it. The new nut is round and no way to get a wrench on it. I also think that they used some sort of lock tite on it. I do not think they changed anything on the inside of the gun, but I cannot be sure.

They stamped the side of the side CA while they had it.

Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts