Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't believe I've ever read a description. MG Mike's FAQ doesn't address it although he goes into detail of hammer block, hammer rebound, etc. How the safety drum locks and blocks the firing pin and hammer. But what does the dcocking lever engage and what engages it? There are 9 different dimensions? Part of what makes this is bit complicated is that the safety lever/safety drum in in the slide while the decocking lever is in the frame.

So, you have a cocked pistol, you rotate the safety to the on position (lever down) and something engages something to decock the hammer at a point where the drum has safely blocked the hammer and locked the firing pin. This is supposed to be timed where the release occurs as the lower edge of the lever is approximately over the center of the red dot. If you understand exactly what happens and where please explain....or, I'm going to have to get one out of the safe. 1917

·
Registered
862 Posts
Hey 1917. How are you doing?
Well, when the safety drum is rotated, the barrel portion presses down on the top of the decocking lever rotating it a bit. The bottom of the lever pushes on the cocking piece to disengage its edge from the hammer nose. Then the hammer falls harmlessly on the safety drum that already has locked the firing pin securely and below the surface of the drum.
All happens in a quick timed sequence.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes that explains it but it is missing from previous discussions....so this helps. Only a good photo showing the relationship of the decocking lever against the cocking piece would make it better. I wonder if this action can be seen slide off or grips off...? Yes in the parts list there are 9 of them. Thanks for asking ViperR, I am doing fine but am way behind on my bladder cancer check up. This virus is screwing things up on all levels. On the other hands the red dot on the P22 allowed me to shoot off hand at steel 25 meters away without any misses. Sure helps an old peep to be able to see where he is aiming. 1917

·
Registered
862 Posts
Here's the best I can find on the relation of the lever to the cocking piece. It's circled in yellow. The pic calls it the sear, but it's the CP. Maybe because most other mfg's call it a sear, but you get the idea.
Take care of yourself 1917 and get your check up soon.
819H5vahh9L._SY679_ (2).jpg

·
Registered
862 Posts
Almost forgot.....what Walther calls the "sear" is actually that spring loaded lever on the hammer that is only functional for DA shooting. It's in the center of the hammers main body and never in contact with the decock lever, which is more to the left side of the frame. The only relation the lever and hammer have in common is the hammer pin (with that big disc on the left side of the pin).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts