Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Let me first say that I am glad to have found a Walther specific forum. I've been reading through the threads and I must say that I'm impressed with the way everybody interacts with one another. I'm a member of a number of other forums and I'd like to say that it's nice to see how helpful and mature everyone is on this forum.

I just got a Titanium coated 9mm P99 with 2 LE mags. I'd like to take the slide off and take the gun apart down to the recommended parts.

Is there a specific procedure? The manual talks about pulling down on the barrel catch on both sides, after removing the magazine and decocking (and unloading if needed). Do you have to pull the barrel catch hard? Do you have to do anything else to the gun while pulling on the barrel catch?

I don't want to damage the gun in any way with my limited experience so I'm turning to you guys for answers.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Welcome, it works best if you pull the slide back an 1/8 inch before you pull the take down catch. I do this by putting my left hand over the top of the slide in front of the rear sight and push against the back of the frame with my left thumb. Then using my right hand to work the take down catch. I hope that makes sense, it is not easy to describe without a picture.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[b said:
Quote[/b] (banddr2 @ Dec. 28 2005,13:43)]Welcome, it works best if you pull the slide back an 1/8 inch before you pull the take down catch.  I do this by putting my left hand over the top of the slide in front of the rear sight and push against the back of the frame with my left thumb.  Then using my right hand to work the take down catch.  I hope that makes sense, it is not easy to describe without a picture.
Thanks! I'm going to give it a shot this evening.

·
Registered
28 Posts
REMEMBER: Clear the chamber after dropping the mag!!!!

A picture.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kryoclasm,

Thank you for the awesome instructions! That picture should be added to the P99 FAQ.

Is that a '04 or '05 P99 AS? Looks good...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts