Walther Forums banner

How do you delete a post?

3K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  Admin 
#1 ·
don't see a delete button. HELP, please

#6 ·
Admin might mean the very quick edit period where no notice is appended tomthe post showing the day and time of the edit. That lasts for around a minute, and after that any changes show in the post that an edit was made, and you can identify why (as you know). My guess about the “edit timer”, but who knows? We seem to be free wheeling more and more on the WF ;)

#8 ·
Correction, the Admins HAVE installed a timer, I just ran into it! You now have a five minute limit before your post stays there and remains unchangeable forever! Guess I missed that announcement, but it sure seems like a very recent change to the WF. Why? Who the hell knows, but there it is. Post at your own peril!

#9 ·
Ha....big brother wants to be able to go back for your entire life, checking all post you've ever made, looking for something they can use against you, even though the post was made 20 years ago. :eek

NO WAY can I put in print, my TRUE thoughts/feelings. Someone, somewhere will complain that I hurt their feelings or some such nonsense.

#12 ·
I see what they have done. The "edit" button is entirely now gone from older posts. It wasn't when I posted the above note about being able to edit an old post so this must be pretty new. Darn, now I will have to read what I am about to post, carefully compose my thoughts and sentences and look at my spelling. Sure wish all those Photobucket photos had been locked, I still have the photos that go with threads and stickies but it is a lot of work to host and edit the thread to put them back in the proper order. 1917

#13 ·
Balogh makes a great point, as always. Those external links such as PB gun photos can never be updated, redirected to a new platform, etc. Yeah, this is a really helpful "improvement" that undoubtedly solves some major problem that has managed to elude me since 2012 ;)

Reactions: ronin11
#14 ·
Good to know it is five minutes. I go back and forth from Imgur when putting a thread together many times. Along the way I go ahead and post the thread because I have lost a number of long posts when going back and forth. That is really aggravating. So now I will know that I will have to update and I guess finish an original thread post in five minutes after I post it. I think what I might have to do is add additional posts which continue the original post to completion from time to time now. Not a big deal I guess. 1917

#15 ·
Two options for ya 1917. Type you post up in a word processor, I use 'Word'....even pasting the links to your pictures. Read it, spell check it....when happy, copy and past it to the forum. I say this, but rarely do it, as anyone can deduce by reading some of the krap I post.

Another thing you can do is click on the 'Go Advanced' button and compose your post in the enhanced window. At the bottom of the page (below all the icons) there's a button that'll allow you to Preview your Post....prior to actually posting. It'll show up just as it will as if you posted it....showing all the pictures, etc. This works pretty well....and I just started using it (after 6 years of not noticing it was there).

#16 ·
The timer has quickly become a gross annoyance, to me at least. I see it as an ill-considered encumbrance and time-waster, with little if any countervailing merit. Many of these threads have no "integrity" to preserve anyway, and who cares if the poster later changes some word or phrase? The change might make it more coherent. Does the Admin really want to be contacted every time somebody later notices that he's made a grammatical or spelling error that should be corrected (and previously could be, easily) to prevent sounding like an unlettered idiot? And who wants to repeat a post and waste bandwidth just to clarify or correct a previous post?

M

#17 ·
This is ridiculous. I often reread a post from a few days ago and want to edit my thoughts a bit. Removing our ability to edit does everyone a great disservice.

#18 ·
My thoughts precisely.

And I don't necessarily want to take twice as long to post just to be sure that auto spell-check has not converted some word to an inapposite substitute, or that I left out a verb or committed some moronic error in syntax. Often such abominations are missed even on a second reading. Later, after a period of detachment, they stand out and cry for correction.

Also, just as often I later think of a more lucid way to describe something, or realize that I have stated an instruction in a misleading way. I go back and snare it at its source, and note it with a P.S. Well, apparently not any more (I just noticed the loss of my "edit" button a few days ago).

I have a solution in mind, but I would rather that the Admin reconsider his action.

M

#19 · (Edited)
I had the same issue Mike when I noticed a syntax issue on a post. It was minor but I wanted to correct it for clarity...no edit button.

Well folks from now on, it isn't what I say that matters but what I mean to say.

This idea of removing edit really hurts. Folks like OF and (on the rare occasion) I, might post some "how to" images. I know over the course of time I manage to produce images that better illustrate my points. Sorry but I'm not going to track down administrators to reopen threads and posts to make these edits. And I seriously doubt I'll feel inclined to add on to lengthy threads.

Mike is correct the Admins should seriously reconsider this ill conceived decision.

#22 ·
I edit a lot -- in part because there's no ready multi-quote option, so I'm forced to use editing any time I want to quote things from more than one source post. I also typo heavily when posting -- because I'm usually multi-tasking. I prefer to fix the typos rather than let them be.

Oh well.

Reactions: Redcat94
#23 ·
Hey guys,

I went through all our threads to see when they request was made to turn on the edit limit. I couldn't find anything so I think this might have been done by accident. The edit limit has been turned off for now until I hear otherwise. If it is being turned on in the future, we will communicate it here.

Niall

#26 ·
I went through all our threads to see when they request was made to turn on the edit limit. I couldn't find anything so I think this might have been done by accident.
Is it possible that someone limited the size of attached JPG pictures to 600x600 pixels by accident as well? The result is exactly the opposite of what was maybe intended. More and more people link external image sources by now, which leads in some cases to a very slow loading of the threads. Also the dimensions are often too big to fit the screen which requires constant scrolling.

In many cases no images are displayed at all because the links are broken, the content is deleted, or the corresponding servers are blocked on corporate networks. The latter and the often slow loading may not be a problem in the USA, but it is in Europe.

A doubling of the two values to 1200x1200 pixels is therefore absolutely necessary, because otherwise the attachment function becomes absolutely unattractive. The admins should have a look to some of the newer threads in the PP series sub forum. It is very difficult or even impossible to identify fine details like proof marks or stamps on a JPG file compressed to 40 KB or less.

#25 ·
Great news and you indeed have my thanks for your response to our heartfelt gripes.

Reactions: Admin
#30 ·
Thanks for recognizing a mistake (or two) and correcting it! If nothing else, we can see from this thread that many of our members do pay attention to details, and not merely those pesky typos. Reversion to the historic norm will certainly help to make (some) posts worth reading. Once again, thanks!!

Reactions: Admin
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.