Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am the new owner of a P22 CA model and having read the Walther P22 Bible, I'd like to modify the loading ramp on the barrel by grinding/polishing it, but I don't want to do it while I have the barrel still held in the frame, even through I've removed most of the parts.

Does anyone know how the barrel removes, since the CA model apparently does not have the screw-on retaining ring that non-CA models do. There is some sort of a cap on the end and I have tried using my fingers to unscrew it, but it didn't budge and before I take a pair of pliers to it I wanted to see if anyone has taken their CA model's barrel off and get the process from them.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi again,

Sorry, but I should have done more searching on the Internet... I found this on RimFireCentral: Take apart the "CA" model P22...? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

So, it seems my task is to heat (but not too hot) the barrel nut and then get ready to put on a new barrel and nut. Hopefully my existing barrel won't have any slop in it after I take it out and reinstall... We'll see!

Bob

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
All P22s come with a barrel, barrel sleeve and barrel nut. But CA decided that since the barrel nut could be removed allowing a thread adapter to be added for a suppressor that the pistol fit into the assault category which did not allow its sale in California. Walther worked out a deal with them by installing a barrel nut that does not have any wrench lands for removal. In addition some type of thread locker was applied. You can heat the barrel nut and loosen the threadlocker. Then you can either scratch up the barrel nut a bit with a pair of pliers or small pipe wrench or file some lands into the side of the nut which will allow you to remove the part with a wrench.

Basic to the P22 is the ability to change from the 3.4" barrel to the 5" target barrel. CA kinda defeated the two barrel purpose by requiring that the nut be locked on. 1917

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks 1917, and thanks for all you've done putting the P22 bible together! I used that extensively after I took apart my gun yesterday and put it back together today. One thing that I always remember from OCS is that there's never a better way to learn about how to put a weapon back together than to take it apart and then struggle a bit to get all the things back in, and have it still work.

Concerning the barrel, I was able to get it off easier than I thought and have cleaned/chased all the threads. Although I bought a new barrel, sleeve and barrel nut that I will probably use rather than the CA one, I'll still hold on to it and can probably machine the flats on he barrel nut to make it easier to take off or replace with a threaded adapter.

Thanks for all your help!

Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mike - yes, there are so many mods out there and I believe I will fire a few thousand rounds first before I modify the barrel's load ramp.

I have taken the gun apart and ground and polished the trigger bar disconnect ears just like 1911-1917 shows in the P22 bible, and while I was at it, I replaced the extractor with one from Volquartsen. I'm stopping with those mods and will see how they do very soon.

Thanks again for the help!

Bob

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks Mike - yes, there are so many mods out there and I believe I will fire a few thousand rounds first before I modify the barrel's load ramp.

I have taken the gun apart and ground and polished the trigger bar disconnect ears just like 1911-1917 shows in the P22 bible, and while I was at it, I replaced the extractor with one from Volquartsen. I'm stopping with those mods and will see how they do very soon.

Thanks again for the help!

Bob
Just know that Walther will no longer warranty your p22 after doing this. You might not care though, but be aware if you do every feel the need to send it to them for anything else.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
They've never told me that....of course if I have something break I just call them, send an e-mail picture of the broken part and they send a new one. I've also seen service dept work on the hammer tip and trigger bar ears....not up to my standards though. Polishing the front edge of the trigger bar ears absolutely does no damage, physically or function wise to the pistol. Walther continues to try to improve the sharp ear problem and the latest is to stamp the ears from the top in order to round them off a bit. The quality of this effort varies from trigger bar to trigger bar from the ones I've seen though.

Picture of a rare early trigger bar ear properly manufactured and before the bean counters decided stamping one out of plate steel would save a buck or two.

bobnmona, I now turn the trigger bar upside down on a plate of glass, rest the front edge of the ears only on some 400 grit emery paper and carefully sand off the top edge of the ear. Then I polish it up a bit by rubbing the ears on some 600 or finer grit and in the direction of movement. This very conveniently works out to match the top front of the ear surface to the slant of the ramp under the slide and will stop nearly all peening of the soft zinc. I have no idea what is in the bible these days.

That was from some threads I did back when I had owned a P22 for only a short while. It's a wonder any of it is of benefit. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Barrel nut removal CA model

Be advised that removing that nut in California is probably some kind of felony, threaded pistol barrels are illegal in California.

With that said I know of a method that works real well. Strip the slide, spring and guide rod off. Then dip the nut end of the barrel into a release agent. What works real good is "Free" made by Certfied, a LubeMaster Product. Soak it for about 2 or 3 hours.
Mount the breech portion of the barrel in a vise, preferably with soft jaws and use visegrips to remove the nut. You will find after the soaking the Loctite effect is almost no-existant. The nut comes off real easy. Almost no marks from the vise grips.

If your goal is to use a thread adaptor, go to theshootersbox.com, they have one of excellant quality. They are on Ebay along with a dozen others.

Legal disclaimer, if you really want to do this move to a free state, somewhere other than California.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
MaDeuce50 has a point that we seem to regularly ignore....at least those of us not in CA that is. The question has never been addressed adequately in my opinion or if it has I haven't read it. Here is a summary and an accurate one of what went on in CA at the introduction of the P22 there.

CAL DOJ ACTIONS MAKES HANDGUN BUYERS CRIMINALS | CalGunLaws | On Target Legal Resources Online

As you can see the pistol was approved for sale and some 4,000+ were purchased. These were just like the ones purchased by anyone else and had a removable barrel nut that allowed the P22 to accept the two barrels Walther manufactured for the pistol. A major selling point...a 3.4" barrel and a 5" target barrel. From reading the above I'm not sure the CA DOJ gun division ever understood the P22 system. A removable front section has long been a part of some Walther .22 pistols. If the nose and front sight blade were not removable on a long barrel Walther PP 22 then the pistol could not be field stripped. It was not a big change for Walther to devise a system that allowed the barrel to be threaded so that a barrel nut could be used to secure each barrel length with the appropriate sleeve length. But, no suppressor will screw onto the barrel directly nor would that work as the slide would hit it. What has to happen as we all know is that the barrel nut must be removed and a thread adapter be used to replace the barrel nut. On the barrel end of the adapter the threads fit the finer barrel threads. This part then secures the barrel and sleeve in a manner exactly as the stock barrel nut does. But, the front of the adapter which now sticks out beyond the end of the barrel and muzzle does contain the proper threads for a suppressor to be attached.

At the time the pistol was being distributed and serviced by Smith and Wesson. A solution was worked out between Walther/Smith and the CA DOJ where a non removable barrel nut would be affixed to the end of whatever barrel was on an existing CA customers gun and all new guns. By doing this the P22 was removed from the assault weapon ban list and was legal to purchase and own in CA. The question soon came up from purchasers of CA marked guns in States where suppression is legal as to how do we get this nut off so we can install a thread adapter and suppressor. This in turn led to a lot of advice, most of it off track. Some solutions would likely destroy the barrel and threads and if not at least break the light cast zinc frame. Items like pipe wrenches and a vise were mentioned.

But the question of can I remove the CA nut which has no wrench lands so that I can tighten my barrel or change it for the other one was never addressed from a definitive legal standpoint that I've ever read. Could a properly licensed gunsmith perform the procedure and reinstall the so called non removable nut or would the pistol need to be returned to Smith or Ft Smith for this operation?

I red loctited a barrel nut one time after carefully tightening it. 6 or 8K rounds later the barrel was a bit loose and I had to heat the red locktite to remove the nut and retighten it. That made me wonder what CA owners would do. CA DOJ seems to make it clear that if you are in possession of a P22 with a removable nut you are in violation of the law and your pistol would be considered an assault firearm. If you loosen the nut to change barrels and then reinstall a CA nut with some type of threadlocker and then kept your mouth shut.....who would know? Probably the safest procedure would be to call Ft. Smith and ask them how to proceed. I expect they would want the pistol back so that the CA nut could be removed, the barrel replaced/changed for a different length and then the nut be reinstalled to factory specs for CA. 1917

·
Registered
38 Posts
They've never told me that....of course if I have something break I just call them, send an e-mail picture of the broken part and they send a new one. I've also seen service dept work on the hammer tip and trigger bar ears....not up to my standards though.
They did tell me that, when I sent them my QD version. They refused to work on it at all without replacing the trigger bar and hammer that had been lightly treated to a sand and polish. They would happily replace those parts, and then work on it, of course the cost of parts and labor was more than I paid for the pistol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks JW - regardless of what I did to the gun, I would replace the parts if broken or "over-modified" without going to the manufacturer.

I've never had a small gun like this before and much prefer my 45 ACP handguns, esp. my CZ97b. I got this for my wife to use, if I can get her interested in shooting. If not, then it could be a moderately good CCW, if and when I relocate out of California.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Be advised that removing that nut in California is probably some kind of felony, threaded pistol barrels are illegal in California.

With that said I know of a method that works real well. Strip the slide, spring and guide rod off. Then dip the nut end of the barrel into a release agent. What works real good is "Free" made by Certfied, a LubeMaster Product. Soak it for about 2 or 3 hours.
Mount the breech portion of the barrel in a vise, preferably with soft jaws and use visegrips to remove the nut. You will find after the soaking the Loctite effect is almost no-existant. The nut comes off real easy. Almost no marks from the vise grips.

If your goal is to use a thread adaptor, go to theshootersbox.com, they have one of excellant quality. They are on Ebay along with a dozen others.

Legal disclaimer, if you really want to do this move to a free state, somewhere other than California.
Yes, that's understood and one of the things that I'm still contemplating about what to do - put the new "non-CA" barrel nut on or re-use the CA barrel nut and blue Loctite.

I've been blessed to be with the same company for nearly 41 years - leaving KCMO in '77 and moving to NY, working there for 12.5 years, then moving to CA and living here since 1989. I do not like it here, but I still have about five more years to go before retirement. Also, in NorCal, the weather is just too good to make you want to leave - it's 75F today where I live and it's going to be a bit difficult to get used to hot, humid summers and ice-cold winters, especially when my wife and I are getting older. But not having so many BS civil codes and laws would probably be worth it...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MaDeuce50 has a point that we seem to regularly ignore....at least those of us not in CA that is. The question has never been addressed adequately in my opinion or if it has I haven't read it. Here is a summary and an accurate one of what went on in CA at the introduction of the P22 there.

CAL DOJ ACTIONS MAKES HANDGUN BUYERS CRIMINALS | CalGunLaws | On Target Legal Resources Online

As you can see the pistol was approved for sale and some 4,000+ were purchased. These were just like the ones purchased by anyone else and had a removable barrel nut that allowed the P22 to accept the two barrels Walther manufactured for the pistol. A major selling point...a 3.4" barrel and a 5" target barrel. From reading the above I'm not sure the CA DOJ gun division ever understood the P22 system. A removable front section has long been a part of some Walther .22 pistols. If the nose and front sight blade were not removable on a long barrel Walther PP 22 then the pistol could not be field stripped. It was not a big change for Walther to devise a system that allowed the barrel to be threaded so that a barrel nut could be used to secure each barrel length with the appropriate sleeve length. But, no suppressor will screw onto the barrel directly nor would that work as the slide would hit it. What has to happen as we all know is that the barrel nut must be removed and a thread adapter be used to replace the barrel nut. On the barrel end of the adapter the threads fit the finer barrel threads. This part then secures the barrel and sleeve in a manner exactly as the stock barrel nut does. But, the front of the adapter which now sticks out beyond the end of the barrel and muzzle does contain the proper threads for a suppressor to be attached.

At the time the pistol was being distributed and serviced by Smith and Wesson. A solution was worked out between Walther/Smith and the CA DOJ where a non removable barrel nut would be affixed to the end of whatever barrel was on an existing CA customers gun and all new guns. By doing this the P22 was removed from the assault weapon ban list and was legal to purchase and own in CA. The question soon came up from purchasers of CA marked guns in States where suppression is legal as to how do we get this nut off so we can install a thread adapter and suppressor. This in turn led to a lot of advice, most of it off track. Some solutions would likely destroy the barrel and threads and if not at least break the light cast zinc frame. Items like pipe wrenches and a vise were mentioned.

But the question of can I remove the CA nut which has no wrench lands so that I can tighten my barrel or change it for the other one was never addressed from a definitive legal standpoint that I've ever read. Could a properly licensed gunsmith perform the procedure and reinstall the so called non removable nut or would the pistol need to be returned to Smith or Ft Smith for this operation?

I red loctited a barrel nut one time after carefully tightening it. 6 or 8K rounds later the barrel was a bit loose and I had to heat the red locktite to remove the nut and retighten it. That made me wonder what CA owners would do. CA DOJ seems to make it clear that if you are in possession of a P22 with a removable nut you are in violation of the law and your pistol would be considered an assault firearm. If you loosen the nut to change barrels and then reinstall a CA nut with some type of threadlocker and then kept your mouth shut.....who would know? Probably the safest procedure would be to call Ft. Smith and ask them how to proceed. I expect they would want the pistol back so that the CA nut could be removed, the barrel replaced/changed for a different length and then the nut be reinstalled to factory specs for CA. 1917

Thanks - like I just replied to MaDeuce50, living in a state like CA that wants to protect all its citizens from themselves is not always good. If my wife and I relocate after retirement, I'm not sure where it will be, but I'm fairly fed-up with the over-crowding of illegal immigrants and the whole "sanctuary state" thing. I was never raised as a liberal and I know CA politics will only get worse for people who want more freedom.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
I've visited and travelled around California.....San Francisco and up and I really liked the place. CA has 12% of the entire U.S. population. They must all be in LA....they sure aren't in the northern half of the State. I didn't even think SF was crowded and the students at Berkeley look just like the ones at colleges here. TV, music and the internet seem to have blended em all together....there were even pick up trucks parked on the Berkeley campus......:p I can't afford any land there. Saw a piece about the size of my house there. $2 mil and it didn't even have any access...:confused: Sure is a pretty State though. 1917

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've visited and travelled around California.....San Francisco and up and I really liked the place. CA has 12% of the entire U.S. population. They must all be in LA....they sure aren't in the northern half of the State. I didn't even think SF was crowded and the students at Berkeley look just like the ones at colleges here. TV, music and the internet seem to have blended em all together....there were even pick up trucks parked on the Berkeley campus......:p I can't afford any land there. Saw a piece about the size of my house there. $2 mil and it didn't even have any access...:confused: Sure is a pretty State though. 1917
Yes, if you look at the scenery, weather and most people ~100 miles from the coast, it's a nice place. But as you probably know, most of the people in the central to eastern part of the state are trying to secede from the rest of the liberal PC folks that want to take my guns away from me. And the cost of a home, even a condo or townhome is beyond reason. Over a $1M for condo in a complex that is falling apart due to lack of maintenance, and the unit is only 1275 sqft.?! Only foreigners can afford to move in and if a young American couple comes here to work for Apple, Google or another tech company, they're faced with only renting a 2 bedroom/1 bathroom apartment for $3000 to $4500/month, depending which part of the valley they settle in. Eventually the greed in Silicon Valley will kill-off businesses and nothing will survive.

However, I've gotten off-topic, sorry, but this is one of my "hot-topics". From now on I'll keep my remarks to Walther P22s.

Bob

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Well living somewhere and visiting are certainly two different things. I generally find there is good and bad everywhere and a lot of the same kind of folks. I like visiting NYC but wouldn't want to live there....same for DC, there is a lot of history and plenty to see there.....I like the peace and quiet of my farm actually....not another house in sight. 1917

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How my P22 turned out after mods to trigger/hammer and barrel

Hi all,

I've been very busy lately, taking care of my wife (the cancer is gone...YAY!!!) and retiring from the company I've worked at for 41 years, so please forgive me for not getting back with the results of my modifications to my P22 sooner.

First, let me thank 1917 and other contributors for works like the P22 Bible - without it, I would not have been able to make all the modifications I made in such a short amount of time! I appreciate all of you for the contributions you have made online, of which I was able to take advantage.

To begin, I completely disassembled the entire gun and cleaned and polished every moving part. I really appreciated my Tack Life PCG01B battery-powered hand-held rotary tool, since it is so small, light and easy to move around - I was able to easily polish the ammo feed ramp leading into the chamber of the barrel without taking it out of the frame. And rather than hammer and polish the ejector, I bought a new CNC-milled one from Volquartsen that I needed to sand one side to make it a bit thinner to work well without binding, but after polishing, it worked great.

After reassembling and oiling everything, I took the gun to the range last week and ran 200 CCI Stinger's through it without a mis-feed or mis-ejection. And all the spent casings ejected straight out the side and not back at me. So I'm happy!

Concerning changing out the barrel, I know the process now and have another barrel and nut...I have no immediate plans to change it out, but I might try it out later this year after some traveling.

Thanks again for the feedback and help!

Bob

·
Registered
35 Posts
they're faced with only renting a 2 bedroom/1 bathroom apartment for $3000 to $4500/month, depending which part of the valley they settle in.
Bob,

My wife graduated high school (Wheatland, south of Marysville many years ago) as her father was stationed at Beal AFB. At the time she said it was (almost) unaffordable but since then it has become completely unaffordable for anyone of us.

Three grand or more a month for a basic apartment? :eek: I'm shocked.

By the way, I also want to echo the sentiments about 1917 and other contributors to works like the P22 Bible. I'd also be lost without the many hundreds (thousands?) of hours of work they have put into it all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts