Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please describe below)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been pondering the possibilities of making a better replacement for flakey magazine buttplates. Before I really embark on it I'd to make sure the failures we're seeing are similar. The right side is obviously gone but the left is cracked and hanging on by a few molecules. I added an arrow for clarity.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would say it was a bad batch of plastic if the new ones are molded the same.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I too think it was just a bad batch. Someone got the polymer mixture wrong. I've got 10 .40 magazines and haven't had one problem with any of them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had considered getting some nylon barstock to make my own buttplates. like the white nylon R/C cars parts are often made of, that stuff is nearly indestructable. But since I got my replacement's I have not had any problem's and kinda forgot about it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ZX-12: it would be quite a challenge to make these out of nylon unless you have a nicely equiped machine shop. It would be possible to machine a coarse replacement part perhaps but a replica is a different story. I measured the thing and put it in CAD. There's a lot going on. I'm currently thinking of making a mold and casting aluminum replacements. Sounds like a fun little project to waste a weekend on

1 - 5 of 5 Posts