Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys...how many rounds do you put through your P99 (typically) between cleanings....I clean about every 400 rounds....just wondering...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I clean most of my pistols, including my P99 .40 after every session, unless it's just a magazine full or so. Even then, I swab out the barrel and clean the breech face and feed ramp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After about every 500 rounds or so - unless it is one of my .22's. Those typically go thousands before a good cleaning. Personally, I think more damage is done to firearms from over-cleaning than from not being clean enough.

It's another story altogether for my black powder firearms. Those obviously get cleaned after every session regardless of the amount of times they have been shot. But this is because I HAVE to do those

Cleaning guns is not one of my favorite pastimes ......

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Last year I went all year long before I cleaned mine. Almost 5000 rounds later I cleaned my P99. She never malfunctioned once. I did clean the magazines periodically however.

My usual cleaning happens around 300 to 500 rounds.

·
Registered
37 Posts
After every range session, which is usually 600-1000 rounds.

I do, if I have not shot it for awhile, I'll break it down and just inspect.

I really do enjoy cleaning guns. Often my buddies and I will get together after a range trip and shoot the s#$t and clean guns....

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have gone both routes with pistols. When I first started shooting, I cleaned my pistol after every use. After a while, I became lax and performed a de facto torture test on a Glock. I had almost 3,000 rounds through it before I cleaned it.

The Glock has a lot of play (much looser than the Walther) so the grime only served to tighten everything up and made the weapon more accurate. -However, after a cleaning up the mess, I resolved never to do that again. Just because the gun can take it doesn't mean it should be neglected.

The Walther P99's design, construction, and the materials used in its assembly combine to make a great pistol. It can be put away dirty, but I think it's a better practice to clean it after range use.

-Just my opinion

·
Registered
32 Posts
whenever I get around to it

But it's sooner than later. I did a torture test on my hp, but I couldn't stand it after a thousand rounds or so.

My current powder is pretty dirty, and I suspect I'll be supporting CLP a bit more than usual till I burn the keg

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
After every session whether it's 50 rounds or 250 rounds. Clean, clean, clean. All of my Walthers are kept spotlessly clean.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I clean after every shooting session, i.e. field stripping and cleaning barrel, slide and frame (inside and outside). About four times a year I clean the recoil spring guide rod and the inside of the frame with compressed air and lately (after four years) I completely stripped the gun (including trigger and striker assemblies and the fire control module) for a profound cleaning. I would recommend it to everybody.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After every range session the pistol gets field stripped and the barrel and breach patched with solvent. The rest of the gun wiped down and put back together with a drop or two of lube on the sliding surfaces. Once or twice a year I'll do a thorough cleaning.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts