Walther Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious how 'bad' the S&W import mark is on the PPQ. I have an early P99 and the S&W import engraving is very poorly done and somewhat of a blight on the gun. Every time I clean the gun, I wish it weren't there (or at least wasn't so poorly done).

I haven't seen the import mark on the PPQ pics I've seen (the area of the slide the engraving is on my P99 has serrations on the PPQ).

I'd love to say that a LGS has one to look at, but that isn't the case.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I am curious how 'bad' the S&W import mark is on the PPQ. I have an early P99 and the S&W import engraving is very poorly done and somewhat of a blight on the gun. Every time I clean the gun, I wish it weren't there (or at least wasn't so poorly done).

I haven't seen the import mark on the PPQ pics I've seen (the area of the slide the engraving is on my P99 has serrations on the PPQ).

I'd love to say that a LGS has one to look at, but that isn't the case.
Well I wish it wasn't there but it's kind of like a door ding on a Mercedes, slight blemish only if you really look for it. Doesn't negate the fact it''s a finely tuned/highly engineered machine that still operates better than I can drive it...and I do drive it well!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Whats the big deal?? I don't even notice it. S&W firearms is legend in the industry and a prestigous brand, not to mention older than Walther.. It's not like it has a Taurus logo on it.

·
Premium Member
8,685 Posts
Blue,
Because the Walther Qs had to be imported, I can live with the S & W roll mark on my QFE but I do wish I'd gotten a hold of one without that roll mark.

The roll mark itself isn't too big, and the engraving itself is quality work but IMHO a Q without that roll mark would be nicer, just not so nice it excuses that button mag release and incompatible magazines. :D

·
Registered
571 Posts
It does not bother me. It is part of the pistol's history. It is required by law. Certainly it does not hurt the functioning of the pistol.

I am more concerned about getting ammunition for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whats the big deal?? I don't even notice it. S&W firearms is legend in the industry and a prestigous brand, not to mention older than Walther.. It's not like it has a Taurus logo on it.
I don't mind the S&W logo, just that it seems to be poorly machined onto the slide. While the Walther and other factory logos are completely smooth (laser etched?), the Smith & Wesson import mark is engraved in a way that leaves tiny burrs that catch whatever I happen to clean the slide with. I took a couple of photos for reference. The final image is after lightly rubbing a blue cotton cloth along the engraving.

I've often wondered if there is a way to mitigate those burrs without compromising the tennifer (or whatever it is) finish. I was also curious if the PPQ is engraved the same way or if the quality has improved in the last ~10 years. I understand some may feel I am being a bit nitpicky, but this is my only complaint with my P99 in 10 years of ownership.

·
Premium Member
8,685 Posts
As I said, the engraving is quality work, no burrs or grabs on mine anyway.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
It is far superior to the import mark on my P228 LOL but in either case it does not matter a bit to me as in the end they are both superior pistols and there was no choice in the matter.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I'm pretty sure the S&W import mark is laser engraved on both the P99 and the PPQ.

Maybe you got a bad example. Mine doesn't have any burrs, and I've never noticed any on other Walther pistols either.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
It's not a big deal.

I'd be more than happy with another PPQ that has a S&W engraving, so long as it takes my PPQ mags and, thus, has the paddles :D

Keep your non-marked slides you button pushers!

·
Registered
255 Posts
It's not a big deal.

I'd be more than happy with another PPQ that has a S&W engraving, so long as it takes my PPQ mags and, thus, has the paddles :D

Keep your non-marked slides you button pushers!
I have to agree with these guys. No big deal.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Please guys, do not make the same mistake I did and not buy a gun because of a roll mark. I listened to all the guys complaining about a roll mark on an ar15 and didn't buy it. Now there is a good chance I may never be able to buy the gun and or 30 rounds magazines.

So please. Just buy the gun and do not worry about a stupid roll mark. I cringe everytime I think about not purchasing the ar15 for $900 bucks, now it would be worth over $2500.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't read much about the M2, am I to understand from the comments here that the M2 will not be compatible with the PPQ 'classic' and P99 magazines because of the new button? Seems like a bit of a misstep for Walther to do that...

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
You got it.

Same exact pistol, but has a button magazine release, and different magazines than the classic.

I wished and waited to have a non-marked Smith and Wesson PPQ, passed up many Q's for it... careful what you wish for :eek:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Mine looks very neat and clean. Just another thing that makes mine a "Classic" and increases it's value on Gunbroker! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts