Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how accurate and comprehensive everyone's log books are with regards to rounds fired of what type and with what results. I'm already keeping track of rounds fired including location and brand. I also insert entries for when I clean the gun.

What do you do?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
For my handguns I kept a record for a while. I was mainly interested to see how long I could go without cleaning the P99 to see if it would fail on me. I went 5000 rounds and just wiped down the outside and cleaned the magazines until I finally cleaned the gun. I had no failures.

No I don't keep track of any of my handguns.

I do keep close track of my rifles.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you track for your rifles and why? I'm slowly working on the wife to get her to agree to me buying a rifle. I'd like an M14 but maybe I'll start with a cheaper surplus rifle like a Lee Enfield or something along those lines. Anyway, learning what people keep track of helps me figure out what I need to keep an eye on.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I have a couple of precision tactical rifles. Sniper rifles for those not politically correct.
It's important to keep track of your rounds on these rifles, so that you know when you'll need to change your barrel. This isn't too much of a factor on .308's or smaller calibers, but on the magnum calibers like my .300 WM, the barrels usually only last around 1000 rounds.

I also keep data on first cold clean barrel shots, first cold dirty barrel shots and come up data for 100 to 1500 yard shots. There's also data for windage and angle shots. Plus a lot of other stuff I keep track of for the long range shooting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts