Walther Forums banner

Houston P99s

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  stunksinatl 
#1 ·
At the Gander Mountain in Houston, they have a Green P99 QA handgun. Unfortunately, it only has 2 10 round mags (It is new) and they want around $629 or so for the gun. Pretty damn high.

I had planned to give the QA a try - I was probably gonna make it my next purchase, and I wanted a Green one, since I never could track down a new OD green A/S. After messing w/ it some more, I decided that the QA won't work for me. I just am not a fan of the trigger. (I wouldn't have bought this one anyway - too expensive).

Gander Mountain also had a NEW old frames 9mm A/S in black. It too came w/ 10 round mags - but I know some of you prefer the older frame. It was $599.

Personally, I prefer the newer 2004 and 2005 frames. But, if you are looking for 1 - they have it in Houston....

#2 ·
Damn, Sportman's Warehouse in San Antonio has the P99 for 549 every day. Of course they usually only get 2 a month, but they are available.

#3 ·
Yea, the prices are ridiculous there - most guns are about $50 more at Gander Mountain. But they have a big selection, so I like to just go and look.

Looks like I have all The P99s I'm gonna get, though... Not into the QA

Man, they have a 40 cal SW99 for $649 at this gander mountain. No one will pay that much for that gun!

#4 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ShipWreck @ Aug. 20 2006,8:34)]Man, they have a 40 cal SW99 for $649 at this gander mountain. No one will pay that much for that gun!
Wow.  A Gander Mtn here in Denver has three SW99-40s for $439 ea.

I love the QA trigger.  I consider the "take down" button a safety.  When you press it, it disiengages the striker and trigger.  So a round can be in the chamber with the pistol in non-fire mode.  Then to engage the trigger/striker into fire mode, just pull the slide back 1/8".  Just like getting the AS trigger into SA mode.

#5 ·
Ship, I know what you mean about the QA trigger. My first Walther P99 I picked up about 6 months ago was a QA. I was looking for an AS but none were available and I was impatient so I gave it a shot. It was a week or so before I was able to shoot it but I quickly became a fan of the grip and overall feel of the gun. I dry fired it many times and when it finally was range time all the anticipation turned into a big nothing for me. I thought I liked the gun but after firing it, it really didn't wow me. So I traded it but I couldn't get the feel of holding that P99 out of my head. Couple I went ahead and bought another, this time the AS. Now this gun I like! It didn't take me long to figure out the gun I liked, the QA trigger I didn't.

I know the QA has its fans, and there seems to be a market for it but I am glad they came back with the AS. The more traditional DA/SA pull is my preference.

#6 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ShipWreck @ Aug. 20 2006,4:34)]Yea, the prices are ridiculous there - most guns are about $50 more at Gander Mountain. But they have a big selection, so I like to just go and look.

Looks like I have all The P99s I'm gonna get, though... Not into the QA

Man, they have a 40 cal SW99 for $649 at this gander mountain. No one will pay that much for that gun!
The $649 is the advertised price...and new guns are like new cars. You have to ask what the 'real' price is. I hate that negotiating system. When I bought my Kahr I had done a lot of research and knew what a respectable price was...I walked up to the gun show dealer and said I'd buy that gun for a $100 off sticker and after asking his manager he said OK. Stupid.

#7 ·
In my area (VT) the trend is to get away from negotiating. One guy still does it. Another has two prices, cash and an additional 3% charge for credit cards, which doesn't make sense to me. Why are some in the gun business so far behind the times? For expensive purchases they should expect and welcome credit cards. Just a way to jack prices or have them deceptively low. But I have to say he generally has good prices.

Another guy who I bought a used Mil-Spec from wouldn't negotiate even $10. "That's a good price." Which it was, but still. Wouldn't even throw in a box of ammo.

Another shop still plays the negotiation game but his prices are noticeably high in the area. I wonder how many people just go in and leave because they don't understand the price game he plays.

Seems like, around here anyway, times are changing in the gun biz. Nothing is consistent.

#8 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] (1989ZR-1 @ Aug. 20 2006,4:45)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ShipWreck @ Aug. 20 2006,8:34)]Man, they have a 40 cal SW99 for $649 at this gander mountain. No one will pay that much for that gun!
Wow.  A Gander Mtn here in Denver has three SW99-40s for $439 ea.

I love the QA trigger.  I consider the "take down" button a safety.  When you press it, it disiengages the striker and trigger.  So a round can be in the chamber with the pistol in non-fire mode.  Then to engage the trigger/striker into fire mode, just pull the slide back 1/8".  Just like getting the AS trigger into SA mode.
Not trying to hijack this thread....

You might want to reconsider your using of the disassembly decocker as a safety...

Why not carry it around unloaded and just rack the slide to chamber a round if needed?  This would be just as fast, and wouldn't require as much precision that is required to pull the slide back a little without ejecting the round, or possibly jamming the action with a failed extraction & ejection.  Not to mention, will you be able to do this under stress?

Or, you might carry the QA as it was meant to be carried:  One in the pipe, striker partially cocked.  The key ingredients are a good holster that'll protect the trigger from unintentional actuation, and naturally, good trigger finger discipline.

-stunks

#9 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] (onebigcubano @ Aug. 20 2006,6:34)]
The $649 is the advertised price...and new guns are like new cars.  You have to ask what the 'real' price is.
Actually, I asked about the price for the OD Green P99 - I asked if they negotiated. I was told they don't usually do it w/ handguns, unless the gun is really scratched up or something....

#10 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] (stunksinatl @ Aug. 21 2006,9:58)]You might want to reconsider your using of the disassembly decocker as a safety...

Why not carry it around unloaded and just rack the slide to chamber a round if needed?
Right now, my P99QA has the job of sitting in my sports car for self defense. I am more concerned about a buy guy getting it, rather than me firing an accidential shot. I am familiar on how the QA trigger works. I doubt any would know how it operates to use it aginst me.

#11 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] (1989ZR-1 @ Aug. 21 2006,1:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (stunksinatl @ Aug. 21 2006,9:58)]You might want to reconsider your using of the disassembly decocker as a safety...

Why not carry it around unloaded and just rack the slide to chamber a round if needed?
Right now, my P99QA has the job of sitting in my sports car for self defense.  I am more concerned about a buy guy getting it, rather than me firing an accidential shot.  I am familiar on how the QA trigger works.  I doubt any would know how it operates to use it aginst me.
hmm...

I think bad guys watch movies just like we do.  They probably know to rack the slide before firing, as often as it is done in Hollywood, even at unnecessary times.

To each his own, however.

-stunks

#12 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] (1989ZR-1 @ Aug. 21 2006,11:38)]
[b said:

Right now, my P99QA has the job of sitting in my sports car for self defense.  I am more concerned about a buy guy getting it, rather than me firing an accidential shot.  I am familiar on how the QA trigger works.  I doubt any would know how it operates to use it aginst me.
Time to rethink the very idea of carrying a gun in the first place.
Don't mean to gang up on you 1989ZR-1... But, there is something wrong with this picture!

For me, it's not the gun, or even how you carry it as much as it is your mind think... In my opine, you are headed into troubles if your primary concern is the BG getting his hands on it first. Your battle is already lost!

#13 ·
I wouldn't carry the QA chambered and decocked. At that point why not just carry an empty chamber? Both strategies require two handed manipulation except in one you're stressed and panicked and just rip the slide back and let it go, in the other you're trying to use a careful little movement to recock it, but you want to be sure it goes back into battery and you don't rip the slide back too far and jam it on a half ejected round. I don't think either is wise, but if you must carry like that you might as well go empty chamber to me. Ymmv.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.