Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying out different defensive ammo options and hornady critical defense had 2 failure to feed malfunctions. Has anyone else noticed this in their PPS M2? I’m wondering if it has to do with the bullet being more cone shaped instead of domed like other JHP ammo. I didn’t have any problems with Speer gold dot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. The previous casing ejected fine. The next round was partially on the feed ramp. I’ll also note that I just cleaned and lubed it (including putting a drop of lube on the ramp) and put about 20 rounds of blazer brass 115g with no issues before the failure to feed started.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Try disassemble and clean the magazines. Remove any flashing on the follower. Clean out magazine and wipe out any factory oil.
The manual has a section on disassemly of the magazines.
I did this after I had a similar critical defense miss feed when the pps was new less than 100 rounds.
I did clean and lube the new pistol but did not at first disassemble the new magazines.
My assessment was the polymer tip hit the barrel edge as the magazine follower may have dipped just enough. So I thought it would be a good practice to clean the new magazines.
This seem to take care of it.
However I use gold dot either 124 or 115 gr in my PPS M1.
So far no more failures and I have about 500 rounds through it. Mostly fmj practice rounds.
Also no failures with gold dots.

Update Critical defense also works.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No issue here

My wife's PPS M2 has about 100 Hornady Critical Defense (NOT Duty) through it without a single issue. It is her carry ammo.

I can tell you it is not a fan of the federal aluminum case from walmart. It chokes on those every now & then. Maybe 5 out of 50 or so. We are not going to use that at the range anymore - well not in her gun. My PPQ M2 has yet to choke on anything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ran a box of Hornady American Gunner XTP through my PPS M2 9mm. No issues and incredibly accurate. Some of the best groups yet. These were 115g but I see they also make a 124gr +P that may be worth a try.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I see they also make a 124gr +P that may be worth a try.

These are what I use in all of my 9mm currently. No issues, though mine are all paddle guns and have probably 2500 rounds (if not more) through them all together.

They work great in mine. I used to use the Hornady with the poly or silicon or whatever it is in the cavities....seems they didn't care to expand through denim, for some reason. Speer gold dot bullets are pretty effective as is the Hornady bullets Landy mentioned (that I use)..

G'luck. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did the mag cleaning help? I have experienced the same issue. My PPS will feed FMJ with no issue, but critical defense will hang up on the second round.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Having seen Critical Defense performance in the real world, I would not stress. Think about what you have----a relatively tiny platform enduring violent explosion after violent explosion. Enjoy the quest of finding the round your pistol likes.

·
Registered
610 Posts
While I have Critical Defense on hand for my PPQ M1 (and it loves the stuff), I did have a single Critical Defense failure-to-feed when running the first 100+ rounds through my new PPS M2 a few months back.

Ran another box or two without issue, but will likely switch carry ammo for the little guy.

Oddly the PPS M2 likes steel case better than my PPQ (which has had maybe 12 failures to extract over 1,200 rounds of steel cased ammo from a variety of manufacturers). The PPS M2 hasn't choked on it yet.

I intentionally use steel case ammo for range ammo with the hope that it malfunctions though, so I guess I can't complain.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The only ammo related failures I had with any of my guns was with the Hornady ammo, won't buy it anymore, for SD is Speer GDs only.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Fiocchi Extrema, 9mm, XTP JHP, 124 grain has functioned 100% in my PPS M2. Probably 250 rounds of this and 6 to 7 hundred assorted FMJ.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts