Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an IWB holster for my '05 P99.

Called Sidearmor and they didn't know. They claimed they didn't know about the "new" styling of the light rail for '04 and '05 models...

Milt Sparks doesn't know if their holsters built for the P99 will fit the "new" style of light rail, either.

So does anyone have the Sidearmor, or the Milt Sparks Heritage or Summer Special II for the P99 with an '04 or '05 P99?

And does the '04 or '05 P99 in .40 S&W fit?

Or, if you're in or around Portland Oregon, can I bring mine by to test in your holster?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Freddy,

Check this thread - particularly the end:

Basically, nobody has a fitted holster for the gun - IWB or out.
By now I have called or emailed at least 10 - probably more like 15 manufacturers. Galco just sent me an email that says that Walther didn't notify any of the manufacturers of the model changes.

In the end, I found one holster maker willing to make a holster for my '04 compact *without* me sending my gun in.

Call Jim Murnak at Fist.

I talked with him a lot, sent him lots of pics, and took a lot of measurements of my gun for him.

He's making me a model #19 in Kydex, but you can also get one in leather. Mine should be in within 3.5 weeks from now.

Good Luck

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just bought a 04 P99 and a Comp Tac c.t.a.c IWB holster for it. When I get them I'll definitely post again and let you know how they fit.

Now that you bring this up I am worried they won't lol.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, I called Comp-Tac first. That's where this journey started.

The fellow I talked to told me "no".

I thought it was just the length that was wrong, so I moved on to someone else.

After calling several vendors, I called comp-tac back. I figured, it was only a half-inch and it's not uncommon to use a longer holster IWB, so... I called them back again.

I got to talking to them and realized something was wrong.

I realized the frame was different - specifically the trigger guard.

They told me that the frame of the compact was actually wider. I didn't believe them at first. I thought they were saying the '04 compact was wider than the '04 standard.

What they were really saying is that all the '04 models are wider than the previous generation - they are - by 3 mm.

Comp-Tac told me they had tried a compact in their holster in their shop and it wouldn't fit.

I would definitely call them back and confirm.

FYI Here's who I (remember) calling / emailing:

Comp-Tac
Kramer
DeSantis
Galco
Blade-Tech
Sidearmor - never returned emails or voicemails
KyTac - state's there isn't enough interest in the guns
Michael's of Oregon
Wild Bill's - Actually, I may not have called him - have to check
Dale Fricke - WILL MAKE ONE - if you send him your gun - great guy.
Fist - is making mine now

I did not call:
Milt Sparks - Dr. Lunde mentioned to me that he doesn't make one yet.
Don Hume - I had read elsewhere that they didn't make one
Alessi - just slipped my mind until now
Matt Del Fatti - great stuff, but I can't wait almost a year.

I remebered this today. It's like a pocket that clips on your belt:
http://www.handgunconcealment.com/

There is a very good custom maker about 30 miles from me. If I hadn't found Fist or Dale Fricke, I was going to go to him.

According to Galco, what we really need is support from Walther.

If that doesn't work, what we need is:
Somebody with one of those vacuum form gizmos needs to make a modling of the gun so we can make one out of plastic.

If we could get 10 or 15 of those plastic guns to send around to all the holster manufacturers, we'd be set.

Walther - are you listening???

EDITED - 5/4/05 - changed info on ky-tac

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well I bought a Comp Tac c.t.a.c holster and guess what...it doesn't fit right. I have to push it in as opposed to dropping the gun in and the holster fitting around the trigger guard. The slide is going to get scratched up.

I'll post again when I find out if CompTac does refunds or not.

·
Registered
310 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (onebigcubano @ May 11 2005,8:05)]Well I bought a Comp Tac c.t.a.c holster and guess what...it doesn't fit right.  I have to push it in as opposed to dropping the gun in and the holster fitting around the trigger guard.  The slide is going to get scratched up.

I have the CompTAC C.T.A.C. for my 2004 P99 and it fits like a glove! The retention is perfect and the fit couldn't be better. It takes the slightest pressure to lock it into place in the holster...it appears that the retention is done at the trigger guard. What kind of fit are you looking for from a Kydex holster? I've never had Kydex that just let you "drop the gun in". I have had some Fobus that were darn near impossible to reholster (or draw, for that matter!) but this C.T.A.C. is as smooth and easy as anything I've tried. I'd vbe surprised if you have a problem with a refund from CompTAC-- all my dealings with them have been first rate.

Autospike, as I recall you were looking for a holster for your P99C, right? Freddy is talking about a full-sized P99. CompTAC's are definitely designed for the new style P99's -- in fact, they still have SW99 holsters that use a different design for the pre-2004 style trigger guards.

Jim

·
Registered
47 Posts
Navyguy...

I am really confused now.

I called Comp-Tac first when I went on my holster hunt for my P99C.

In fact, I called them twice.

I wound up talking to two different people.

They told me, in no uncertain terms, that my gun wouldn't fit.

He told me that not only was the trigger guard different, but the newer models were 3mm wider than the previous versions.

I had told him I didn't care if the holster was longer, so that shouldn't have been why he told me that.

He told me one of the other guys in the shop had tried one and it wouldn't fit. He even called him over and talked to him while on the phone.

He told me if I wanted a holster, I'd have to mail him my gun.

Yours fits???
What the heck is going on here???

Do all of of us have this gun (well, some of ours are full size and some compact):

Onebigcubano. Navyguy is right that the pistol should not just drop in.
It should solidly click in. You should definitely feel it click when you draw.
A good kydex holster will have several touch points where the gun is stabilized to minimize rattle, etc.

I would consider an illfitting holster one that just kind of "mushes" in rather than clicks. One where if you took the rig and shook it upside down the gun just easily fell out. Um... wanna be careful doing that ;-)

Onebigcubano. When you call, will you specifically ask about a 2004 compact?

·
Registered
47 Posts
guys...

How long did it take for your comp-tac to come in. If it really does work, I'd like to get one. It would be nice if I could get it fast as I'm going out of town on business in a week.

Onebigcubano:
It would be interesting if you could get to a gun store where they have a compact and "test" that holster.

And if you want to dump it.
I'd be interested in buying it.

I'm debating over whether to call Comp-Tac *again* today and seeing what they say.
or
maybe I should just order one of the darn things and see for myself.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have been in contact with High Noon Holsters, and they have told me that while their mold is for the pre-2004 P99, the 2004 P99 will fit just fine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry, one more thing. I have also been in contact with Blade Tech and they said that they planned to produce a holster for the 2004 P99 within the next 2 months.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Autospike -
I have the same style P99, just a full size instead of a compact. Pics are here: http://users.adelphia.net/~navy87guy/waltherp99.html

I ordered my C.T.A.C on a Wednesday afternoon and had it in hand less than 48 hours later (from Texas to Virginia).

All I can tell you is that my holster is a perfect fit....I can't explain the discussion you had with the service reps. All my email exchanges were with JB...maybe he's the guy to talk to .

Hope this helps!

Jim

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, I should have a C-Tac next week.
We shall see.
If it doesn't fit, I'm going to either try to sell it or whip out the heat gun and reshape it myself.

That High Noon looks VERY NICE Tabor.

How long are you having to wait for it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
autospike,

The wait is approximately 10 weeks right now. I have heard nothing but good things about High Noon, I only hope it fits my gun right. Originally I was going to get a Blade Tech IWB, but the High Noon will have to do, LOL. I might still get the Blade Tech at a later time, so that I can do a side by side comparison.

·
Registered
5 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (onebigcubano @ May 11 2005,8:05)]Well I bought a Comp Tac c.t.a.c holster and guess what...it doesn't fit right.  I have to push it in as opposed to dropping the gun in and the holster fitting around the trigger guard.  The slide is going to get scratched up.

Not sure if it's the same for the P99 holster, but I have a C.T.A.C that I bought for my Sig P229. When I carry my 228, which is slightly thinner, I can adjust the holster by tightening the tension screw located near the trigger guard area.

If your C.T.A.C. is too snug on your P99, try loosening that screw or putting a couple washers on there to "open up" your holster. Try it, and if it works, let us know!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well guys my post about not fitting right was due to my newbie-ness. I just bought my first gun and my first holster. I had seen 1 or 2 other holsters that "dropped in" and clicked and assumed mine should do the same. I loosened the screws and the gun will go in fine...its as tight as you want it to be. I had previously thought the slide wasn't supposed to fit in the holster like that but one of my friends corrected me. The inside of the kydex is pretty smooth so any wear or scratching that might happen will take a long time or not be noticeable I guess.

Point is...the Comptac c.t.a.c works great for the full size P99 and I hope it works out for you compact guys. Thanks Navy and brywards.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts