Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having a heck of a time figuring out if this optic is compatible with this gun, let alone find any photos to see how it looks on the Q4. Apparently it has very different dimensions from other 500-series optics. Nobody—not Walther nor Holosun—seems willing to make the effort to test these out and advise prospective buyers.

Anyone have any experience with this pairing?

·
Registered
PDP Full Size 4.5"
130 Posts
AFAIK the 508T uses the quite common Trijicon RMR standard. The plate has two pins at the front which engage sockets on the optic, and then there are two machine screws which secure the optic to the plate via the two threaded holes on either side of the 02 below. Here's the Walther 02 plate, and the 508T that I mounted to my PDP...
Grey Font Circle Audio equipment Silver

Trigger Font Air gun Gun barrel Electronic device

The same mount is used for Holosun's 407C and 507C optics.

The fully enclosed 509T optic has a unique mounting with a Picatinny rail style clamp secured by a single screw from the side of the optic. Walther doesn't offer a plate for this optic, although CH Precision does.

Here is a good resource for all red dot mounting standards.

According to Walther's website..."Optic Plates for Q4 and Q5 Models can only be requested on new models with Item Numbers starting with 284****", but they certainly have a plate available for "TRIJICON RMR, SRO & HOLOSUN 407C,507C & 508T, Riton X3 PRD: (Q-Series 2828359/PDPG1 2844079/PDPG2 5136196) "

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! That's exactly what I needed. Of course, the slide on the Q4 SF is tapered at the top (like the PPQ) so this optic will probably stick out more at the sides compared to the PDP. But at least I know it's do-able and worth checking out.

I considered one of the smaller, older Holosun models, but aside from some missing features, I really hate the garish white logos on those. Are you happy with the optic so far?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Incidentally, I found this photo online. Looks a lot like the 407T.

The mounting plate is interesting, with the integrated rear sight. Looks like either the discontinued Walther RDS backup sight plate, or C.H. Precision's LowPro LowWitness RMR Optics Adapter Plate.

Green Air gun Trigger Sports equipment Gun barrel

Automotive tire Rectangle Font Tool Auto part

·
Registered
PDP Full Size 4.5"
130 Posts
Thank you! That's exactly what I needed. Of course, the slide on the Q4 SF is tapered at the top (like the PPQ) so this optic will probably stick out more at the sides compared to the PDP. But at least I know it's do-able and worth checking out.

I considered one of the smaller, older Holosun models, but aside from some missing features, I really hate the garish white logos on those. Are you happy with the optic so far?
I'm very happy with the 408T. It is built like a tank...and I too hate the garish white logos. :rolleyes:

I've only had it a little while but I like the green dot, and I like the multiple reticle system with the 2 MOA dot for the range, and the 32 MOA circle for more "defensive" uses.

Reactions: freediverx

·
Registered
PDP Full Size 4.5"
130 Posts
Incidentally, I found this photo online. Looks a lot like the 407T.

The mounting plate is interesting, with the integrated rear sight. Looks like either the discontinued Walther RDS backup sight plate, or C.H. Precision's LowPro LowWitness RMR Optics Adapter Plate.

View attachment 105529

View attachment 105530
That one looks like a 508T to me. The 407C has a curved top, while the 508T is flat.

Reactions: freediverx

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That one looks like a 508T to me. The 407C has a curved top, while the 508T is flat.

Yes, and no white logos, lol.

·
Registered
PDP Full Size 4.5"
130 Posts
Yes, and no white logos, lol.
The only other thing I had to do to my PDP was to swap out the standard (rear adjustable but polymer) sights for slightly taller (steel and much sturdier) Walther BUIS. The standard sights wouldn't quite co-witness with the 508T. The new sights are perfect and visible in about the bottom 1/8th or so, of the optic's lens.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only other thing I had to do to my PDP was to swap out the standard (rear adjustable but polymer) sights for slightly taller (steel and much sturdier) Walther BUIS. The standard sights wouldn't quite co-witness with the 508T. The new sights are perfect and visible in about the bottom 1/8th or so, of the optic's lens.
With the Q4 SF, the factory optic plate is integrated with the rear sight, so you lose that when installing an optic. Walther initially offered a plate with an integrated rear site, but they've discontinued that, reportedly because they ran into some manufacturing or quality issues with those. CH Precision still sells one, though, so I may give that a shot.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Question: assuming you purchased the model with the multiple-reticle option, by any chance is your reticle rotated off-axis? I saw a YouTube video complaining about this issue, claiming they were told by Holosun that some off-center rotation was considered "normal" according to their standards.

·
Registered
PDP Full Size 4.5"
130 Posts
Question: assuming you purchased the model with the multiple-reticle option, by any chance is your reticle rotated off-axis? I saw a YouTube video complaining about this issue, claiming they were told by Holosun that some off-center rotation was considered "normal" according to their standards.
By “rotated off-axis” I’m assuming you mean the 32 MOA circle which has markers at the 0, 90, 180 and 270 degree points. I have certainly never noticed any rotation with mine, although I only have about 1,000 rounds through the pistol.

·
Registered
PDP Full Size 4.5"
130 Posts
The CHP plate looks great!

Now will it work with a standard front sight?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
The CHP plate looks great!

Now will it work with a standard front sight?
Not likely. Next step is figuring out what size front sight I need and deciding between a plain one or a fiber optic. I love fiber optic sights, but in this case it might be preferable not to have one competing for my attention with the optic’s green dot/reticle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Looks good. I like C&H products
Yeah the quality seems high. Now I’m a little nervous about figuring out which bolts to use where, without damaging the plate or the optic. Both the optic and plate came with a bunch of different, unlabeled bolts and no documentation for mounting other than some videos that don’t mention the bolts at all aside from the use of loc-tite and proper torque.

Update: After some thought, it dawned on me that since the plate is specifically designed for my gun and my optic, it would make sense to default to the bolts included with the plate rather than those provided by Holosun (in case they’re different.)

The only odd thing now is that the plate came with three sets of bolts, two in black and one in silver, which leaves me wondering what the extra bolts are for and why they’re silver.

Also I need to carefully re-watch their tediously rambling installation videos to verify the appropriate torque required and whether it’s the same for all the bolts. Some clear and simple written documentation would have been preferred.

Hand Automotive lighting Automotive tire Fluid Bumper

·
Registered
PDP Full Size 4.5"
130 Posts
According to the "tediously rambling installation video " :) the silver, M3 T-10 screws are used to secure the plate to the optics cut, and the T-8 screws are used to secure the optic to the plate (via their T-posts). But, it's not difficult to try the different ones carefully, even if it means you have to put more thread locker on them.

CHPW says 10 in lbs for both, although Holosun says 15 in lbs for the optic to the plate.. Take your pick. ;)

For the Walther plate it's a little different as there are no T-posts. I used the Walther screws that came with the gun, and secured the cover plate, on my PDP.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts