Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new(ish) pistol shooter and wanted to share my experience with the addition of a Holosun HS507c reflex sight.
I have put about 400 rounds through my PPQ Q5 at my range using the stock iron sights without really understanding why some of my groupings were messy. Adding the red dot sight has really helped me identify and work on correcting my trigger discipline, and my grip. With the reflex sight mounted, I observed that I was squeezing my grip far more on the sides than a proper push pull. I say this because I could watch the reticle shake at 15 meters. (This was not as obvious to me with my iron sights.) So, I corrected my grip by working on my push pull technique and my groupings improved right away.

My trigger discipline needs work. The red dot really shows that I seem to convulse my entire right hand when squeezing the trigger. I am now really focused on having a strong three fingers on the grip, and a smooth independent trigger finger. Two handed shooting, or one handed.

Long story short, adding the reflex sight to my Q5 turned out to be a great idea, and will definitely help me improve on my fundamentals.

As for the Holosun 507c? It is excellent so far. Auto on and off, very visible, and intuitive. 200 rounds today without a hiccup. Mine is a 2 MOA dot with a 32 moa circle around the dot.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am a new(ish) pistol shooter and wanted to share my experience with the addition of a Holosun HS507c reflex sight.
I have put about 400 rounds through my PPQ Q5 at my range using the stock iron sights without really understanding why some of my groupings were messy. Adding the red dot sight has really helped me identify and work on correcting my trigger discipline, and my grip. With the reflex sight mounted, I observed that I was squeezing my grip far more on the sides than a proper push pull. I say this because I could watch the reticle shake at 15 meters. (This was not as obvious to me with my iron sights.) So, I corrected my grip by working on my push pull technique and my groupings improved right away.

My trigger discipline needs work. The red dot really shows that I seem to convulse my entire right hand when squeezing the trigger. I am now really focused on having a strong three fingers on the grip, and a smooth independent trigger finger. Two handed shooting, or one handed.

I've been pistol shooting for 50 years or so, but lately took a pure marksmanship class. The instructor showed me that my right/dominant hand should basically be used just to activate the trigger, with only enough pressure from my other fingers to gently hold the pistol. My left hand is the one that should be gripping the pistol firmly. Yep, that made a big difference to my marksmanship! I was very much surprised. My entire shooting career up to then was to strongly grasp the pistol with both hands. I have to concentrate now using the proper way when I shoot....I keep saying "left hand grip, front sight, left hand grip, front sight, left..." until the pistol goes BANG! Works well for me.

Doug

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I ended up going with a Trijicon Rm06 3.25 red dot. So far it's been pretty good. I just have to get out more and shoot it more after this virus event is over.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I ended up going with a Trijicon Rm06 3.25 red dot. So far it's been pretty good. I just have to get out more and shoot it more after this virus event is over.
That's one negative, I think, with the Holosun 407, that 2MAO dot. Of course, I do not know if that would be a problem since I've not used a dot sight for many years. I have an UltraDot Match dot ordered for another pistol (Buck Mark 22LR) that has selective dot sizes 2,4,6,8. So that will give me some idea if a red dot sight will work for me, and what size dot I prefer for my intended purpose: shooting 7-10 yards, bullseye type slow firing. I know a bigger dot would be better for pistol "action/combat" type shooting, but I have other guns for that. Also, I know a smaller dot, at least on a rifle, is better for longer distances. So I will fiddle around with the Matchdot variable dot size then decide what to get for my Walther PPQ Q5 and PPQ 22LR. I'll have to get an adaptor plate for the latter pistol and remove its OEM sights.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the UltraDot Match Dot too that i have on a Model 41 for bullseye matches and i love it. I also have an older one which is a lot bigger but still works great. I wanted to get a PPQ 22lr myself but due to lousy NY laws, its outlawed due to having a threaded barrel. Anyway, I think you'll be happy with the Ultradot Match Dot.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have the UltraDot Match Dot too that i have on a Model 41 for bullseye matches and i love it. I also have an older one which is a lot bigger but still works great. I wanted to get a PPQ 22lr myself but due to lousy NY laws, its outlawed due to having a threaded barrel. Anyway, I think you'll be happy with the Ultradot Match Dot.
Can you not get a PPQ 22 without the threaded barrel? Walther USA shows THIS.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I've been pistol shooting for 50 years or so, but lately took a pure marksmanship class. The instructor showed me that my right/dominant hand should basically be used just to activate the trigger, with only enough pressure from my other fingers to gently hold the pistol. My left hand is the one that should be gripping the pistol firmly. Yep, that made a big difference to my marksmanship! I was very much surprised. My entire shooting career up to then was to strongly grasp the pistol with both hands. I have to concentrate now using the proper way when I shoot....I keep saying "left hand grip, front sight, left hand grip, front sight, left..." until the pistol goes BANG! Works well for me.

Doug
This may work for slow fire bullseye shooting, but goes completely against what world class shooters like Mike Seeklander teach for action pistol events. He says to grip the gun tightly with both hands, just short of the gun shaking, twisting both wrists toward each other, elbows not locked. I do this and it makes controlling recoil at rapid fire much easier, even with factory loads.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Doug

You may have just helped me immensely. I noticed the same exact thing as the OP except I have a Venom on my Q5. Last Sunday I put 400 rounds through it and was jerking the trigger. I had to slow way down and consciously focus on "Trigger press" to get good groups.

·
Registered
159 Posts
This may work for slow fire bullseye shooting, but goes completely against what world class shooters like Mike Seeklander teach for action pistol events. He says to grip the gun tightly with both hands, just short of the gun shaking, twisting both wrists toward each other, elbows not locked. I do this and it makes controlling recoil at rapid fire much easier, even with factory loads.
You are probably correct sir. The class where that technique was advocated was for pure marksmanship. Up until that point, my friend and I had taken several "self defense" classes, and he was unhappy with his accuracy. He suggested we go go together on a private three hour "marksmanship" class. He is generally much faster than I am for most of those chores, like draw and fire 2 rounds under x seconds. However, I have been a bit more accurate than him, although I can rarely match his speed. I was really surprised at what a difference that support hand/tight grip made. But as you say, that was for "bullyseye" type shooting. I have not intentionally used that grip when doing more "combat" oriented shooting; at least no consciously.

Doug

·
Registered
159 Posts
It's not about the end of the barrel being able to put a noise suppressor on it , it's about the wording that the barrel is threaded which is part of taking it a part to disassembling it to clean it.
I just thought since the model was supposedly "California", it would be compliant in that state? I live in TN so our "rules" are not that restrictive.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You may have just helped me immensely. I noticed the same exact thing as the OP except I have a Venom on my Q5. Last Sunday I put 400 rounds through it and was jerking the trigger. I had to slow way down and consciously focus on "Trigger press" to get good groups.
Hopefully that technique will continue to improve your accuracy. :cool:

Doug

·
Registered
75 Posts
You are probably correct sir. The class where that technique was advocated was for pure marksmanship. Up until that point, my friend and I had taken several "self defense" classes, and he was unhappy with his accuracy. He suggested we go go together on a private three hour "marksmanship" class. He is generally much faster than I am for most of those chores, like draw and fire 2 rounds under x seconds. However, I have been a bit more accurate than him, although I can rarely match his speed. I was really surprised at what a difference that support hand/tight grip made. But as you say, that was for "bullyseye" type shooting. I have not intentionally used that grip when doing more "combat" oriented shooting; at least no consciously.

Doug
Even for fast shooting,standing still or in movement,relaxed strong hand and crushing the grip with the support hand is the way to go. This method has been taught by the the current World champion and he has 11 production championships under his name( Ben Stoeger) and the wife and I have both switched to this method and we have become more accurate and shoot faster than ever before. Shooting .16 to .22 splits at 10 yrds with all in the "A" zone. I would suggest just going to range and trying it for atleast 1000 rds before making a decision.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Long story short, adding the reflex sight to my Q5 turned out to be a great idea, and will definitely help me improve on my fundamentals.

As for the Holosun 507c? It is excellent so far. Auto on and off, very visible, and intuitive. 200 rounds today without a hiccup. Mine is a 2 MOA dot with a 32 moa circle around the dot.
What color do you use with your sight ? I understand this sight is switchable between red and green. Looked at the green reticle in a store and was very impressed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
What color do you use with your sight ? I understand this sight is switchable between red and green. Looked at the green reticle in a store and was very impressed.
I do not think was question was directed to me, but the HS/HE407c/507c sights come in only red, or only green. I do not think any of the Holosun pistol sights have selectable color. However, the 507c allows you to switch between reticles: dot, dot with circle, or circle alone.

I have a HE507c on my Q5 and I have found the green dot much easier to acquire than my friend's P320 with uses a Sig red dot. I think older eyes might see the green a bit better than the red dots.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Red disappears in sunlight with lasers. I haven't had that issue with red dots. They say the green won't work in low temperatures, but I don't know if that applies only to dots or lasers as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts