Walther Forums banner

Hollowpoints?

3K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  MLB 
#1 ·
So in the last thread, there was mention of feeding problems with .380 hollowpoints on the PPKs. I experience this too, and have given up on HPs and switched to carrying w/ standard fmj ball ammo. (My decision was based on the fact that I am first concerned with making sure ammo is fed before I care what kind of ammo is fed- HPs are usless if the gun is jammed!)

My questions:
1) Is this a common issue (HP feed issue w/380?)
2) Anyone else using ball for carry? Thoughts?

I know some say ball will overpenetrate, but I also have heard about HPs not expanding with .380s, esp up close.

#8 ·
Corbon Powerball in .380 is now available. I just got some but have yet to try it. It feeds flawlessly in 9mm and 45acp.I have been using Winchester 85 GR Silvertip HPs. They feed with no problems. I know they do not have the best ballistics but I am sure they will do the job if placed properly.

#15 ·
Looked at a box of older hydrashoks, seems that my PPK is rough on the brass casings. It leaves little semi-concentric lines just below where the bullet is seated in the casing.

Ah well, as long as she shoots well (and she does). And, like I said before, it'll eat anything! I guess I'd expect a little bit of this from a fixed barrel blowback system.

-stunks

#16 ·
My interarms eats all factory ammo Ive tried The CorBon power is over 1200fps and 247ftlbs But only 71gr. When DPX findly comes out It should feed ok. Polish the feed ramp witha little 600 or finer by hand Go same direction as bullet travel not side to side. Will be a difference . I shot some of the Russian Brown Bear HP's couple days ago forfun the were 8 bucks a box Case is a bi-metal not steel like wolf so shouldn't hurt extractor. Ran fine and was pretty clean.

#19 ·
I have a PPK/S I purchased about two years ago, I changed the grips to some nice redwood grips but the fitting with those grips needs work to make the piece work correctly. I had trigger problems, the trigger would not re-engauge, it would stick in double action. Another words, if I put the gun in safe, took the safety off, and pulled the hammer back, sometimes the trigger would need to be pushed forward manually. Otherwise, the trigger would not engage the sear.

I have notice that the triger group gets caught on the inside of the wood grips. I have sanded down some of the wood on the inside of the grip.Now I noticed the top of the right-side grip is rubbing on the slide. I will grid the top of the grip down with a dremal tool so the top of the grip is not rubbing up against the slide.

Another problem I have, and it seems to have with FMJ as well as HP (Horneday, Winchester, etc.) is jamming. Now perhaps this is happening because the grip is rubbing on the slide causing the slide to slow down.

For now, I have replace the original grips on the piece. I will test it with the original grip. If that fixes the problem, I will make the change to the grips and see if they work right. If I get more jams, I will polish the ramp.

If someone breaks in to my home, I don't want to reach for my firearm and it jams!

Any feedback is appreciated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.