Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been searching for days now for a decent set of checkered wooden grips for my two Walther/Interarms (W/I) ppk/s models (.32 and .380), and I stumbled into a great looking set made of pau ferro wood by Hogue. So, I bought a set, accepting the fact that I'd probably face some minor filing of the inside wooden edges to insure a proper fit. No worries. And, upon receipt and initial inspection, that was in-fact the case (i.e., just some minor shaving on one or two inside edges was required for each grip to seat properly), but unfortunately, that proved to be the 'least' of my problems.

First-off, I wanna make it clear that I absolutely 'LOVE' the look of these grips, but regrettably, I had not paid enough attention beforehand to the fact that Hogue uses embedded bushings in their grips that were 'brass' in color, meaning that the original (W/I) black-colored attachment screw (if used), would NOT match. But worse yet, the diameter of the holes and the thread count in each of the Hogue brass bushings is smaller and different than the original black (W/I) attachment screw, leaving me with no way to attach the grips. And although Hogue offers a line of replacement screws and bushings, they do NOT offer them for anything 'Walther', nor do they offer anything in matching brass for any make or manufacture. :(

Again, these are in-fact 'gorgeous grips', so no real concerns there, but given the hidden and somewhat troubling inconveniences involved with installation and fit, I'm not so sure that I'd consider buying Hogue again. Just my 2-cents.

·
Premium Member
13,794 Posts
So, did you ask Hogue what size/thread count the brass fittings were threaded for? Take your grips to Ace Hardware....start trying screws, gently by hand, until you find the correct size/thread count. THEN, you can start searching for a screw with the correct head/material, length, etc.

Yeah, I know that sucks....but what do you do?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
. . . Yeah, I know that sucks....but what do you do?
Well, I guess you start by alerting others to the problem, so that they don't step in the same puddle (done!), and then, you deliberate as to whether its worth the added effort to chase down such a 'brass' machine screw (with the proper diameter, thread count, head shape and length), versus simply sending the $100 set of Ferrari grips back to the merchant whose website essentially misled you regarding their fit (and I'm busy doing just that!). ;)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Ringo ,Just a heads up ,you modified the grips from the original conformation if you send them back prior to confirming that this is ok by them ,they may deny the refund and charge you another fee to return your grips . Some of the sellers on eBay actually say that in their fine print ,if you alter it no returns .
IOF gave you good advise ,if you like the grips otherwise try finding a screw that fits . If you can get the thread count and pitch AND if it is sae or metric if Ace doesn't have it , your local automotive parts store may as most stock all kinds of bastard screws . Good luck with your grips . Ayb

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Several issues here.

First, no matter what justification you might have for returning the grips, if you've altered them they are yours. They are no longer within the manufacturer's specifications; they cannot be returned to stock and sold to somebody else because there may no longer be enough material to properly fit them to the next frame they are tried on. (Frames, like everything else, are made within certain tolerances, and they are rarely exactly the same, which is why grip makers err on the large side.)

Second, are you sure no screw was included? Its omission seems very odd for new high-end grips costing $100. At the very least, have you picked up and phone and called Hogue to ask a real person, or is this just a conclusion from a visit to their website? I can't believe Hogue has no screws for their own grips...

Third, if color match of the bushing and screw was THAT important, you should have considered that before ordering. Walther tended to use blued screws and bushings, even for stainless guns, but that's by no means standard. Many classic handguns, Colt revolvers for example (and Mauser Broomhandles), use brass bushings and nickeled or in-the-white screws.

Hogue is an American company and likely uses fasteners with SAE threads. Finding a screw that can be made to work at a hardware store, as oldfart suggested, is easier than getting into a dramatic snit with your vendor.

Finally, if you feel left with no other choice, why not simply remove the bushings from your old grips and install them in the Hogues? It's not rocket science.

M

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ringo ,Just a heads up ,you modified the grips from the original conformation if you send them back prior to confirming that this is ok by them ,they may deny the refund and charge you another fee to return your grips . Some of the sellers on eBay actually say that in their fine print ,if you alter it no returns .
IOF gave you good advise ,if you like the grips otherwise try finding a screw that fits . If you can get the thread count and pitch AND if it is sae or metric if Ace doesn't have it , your local automotive parts store may as most stock all kinds of bastard screws . Good luck with your grips . Ayb
Ayb,

Thanks for your response, and yeah, I'm aware of the fact that the grips can't be returned at this point. All-in-all, I'm O.K. with that. As I've said, I like the grips, so I'll just do the legwork necressary to find the appropriate machine screw, which I strongly suspect may prove to be a bit of a headache in my rural location. And, of course I won't be able to do that in time to have installed the grips and gone to the range this long Labor Day weekend, as I had hoped at time of purchase. Boo-hoo!

However, I most definitely WILL be contacting Hogue (after the long Labor Day weekend), and I'll be making the perfectly valid argument that since no other replacement screw or bushings were provided with the purchase, and since no alerts of any kind were provided by the vendor's website or package inserts, the consumer has every reasonable expectation upon receipt that the pre-installed brass bushings in these pricey $92.00 grips would be fully compatible with the original, factory-issued (W/I) attachment screw.

In fact, for the manufacturer (Hogue) or anyone else to suggest that the buyer should be 'pre-testing' the length, diameter and thread match of the existing (W/I) screw to the Hogue bushings before finalizing the fit of each grip is not only outlandish, its idiotic! Why? Because you can't possibly align the two grip-halves to insert the screw until both halves have been fully and properly seated against the frame.

Now, in retrospect, should I have 'pre-tested' the existing (W/I) screw for at least 'thread count' compatibility, before modifying both grips? Sure! In a perfect world, I should have. Is it a 'reasonable' expectation by the manufacturer that I do so beforehand, when no replacement screw or bushing was provided, and when no alerts existed anywhere on their website or their product packaging? No, not in my opinion. In my view, they should have provided a compatible screw with the packaging, or they should have provided an alert of some form to the consumer, either on their website or in the product packaging, and frankly, I don't much care whether others here (see below) agree with that stance or not.

And I won't even begin to share my views on the use of threaded butter-soft 'brass' for their [email protected]#%&?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Several issues here.

First, no matter what justification you might have for returning the grips, if you've altered them they are yours. They are no longer within the manufacturer's specifications; they cannot be returned to stock and sold to somebody else because there may no longer be enough material to properly fit them to the next frame they are tried on. (Frames, like everything else, are made within certain tolerances, and they are rarely exactly the same, which is why grip makers err on the large side.)

Second, are you sure no screw was included? Its omission seems very odd for new high-end grips costing $100. At the very least, have you picked up and phone and called Hogue to ask a real person, or is this just a conclusion from a visit to their website? I can't believe Hogue has no screws for their own grips...

Third, if color match of the bushing and screw was THAT important, you should have considered that before ordering. Walther tended to use blued screws and bushings, even for stainless guns, but that's by no means standard. Many classic handguns, Colt revolvers for example (and Mauser Broomhandles), use brass bushings and nickeled or in-the-white screws.

Hogue is an American company and likely uses fasteners with SAE threads. Finding a screw that can be made to work at a hardware store, as oldfart suggested, is easier than getting into a dramatic snit with your vendor.

Finally, if you feel left with no other choice, why not simply remove the bushings from your old grips and install them in the Hogues? It's not rocket science.

M
Wrong! There are NOT "several" issues here. There is ONE and one only! The manufacturer failed to provide a replacement screw compatible with their unique brass bushings, and they failed to alert their patrons of the incompatibility via the item description and related advertising for the product on their website, or via product packaging. End of story! Thank you, very much!

And, if you'll agree to do the "rocket science" of carving-out the two existing brass bushings from these $100 grips, while guaranteeing me no damage to them as you've suggested above, then kindly provide me with your mailing address and I'll gladly ship them to you post-haste! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The purpose in posting this thread wasn't to solicit recommendations on how to move forward with these newly-modified and now un-returnable grips, or to welcome personal criticism and ridicule by others for not having pre-checked all aspects of hardware compatibility, etc. Rather, its purpose was (and is) to alert consumers of Hogue brand grips (or any other brand of pistol grip for that matter!), to potential issues with fit and with hardware compatibility, and thus, to be diligent or cautious when shopping. That's it and that's all!

In summary, don't consider purchasing grips of any kind unless and until you're fully assured that the purchase will include ALL necessary and compatible hardware, and don't even 'begin' to modify the grips for fit or future installation before double-checking ALL provided and/or existing hardware for complete compatibility.

Thanks again to everyone and have a great Labor Day weekend out there! ;)

·
Premium Member
13,794 Posts
In fact, for the manufacturer (Hogue) or anyone else to suggest that the buyer should be 'pre-testing' the length, diameter and thread match of the existing (W/I) screw to the Hogue bushings before finalizing the fit of each grip is not only outlandish, its idiotic! Why? Because you can't possibly align the two grip-halves to insert the screw until both halves have been fully and properly seated against the frame.

Personally, I never suggested 'pre-testing'. I simply gave you an idea of what I'd do if I were in your predicament.

I didn't see where a swingin' &ick suggested you 'pre-test' the length, diameter and thread match of the existing (W/I) screw to the Hogue bushings before finalizing the fit of each grip.

Every response/suggestion I read concerning your predicament was a well meaning and good post.

But its true, I HAVE seen some idiotic post before.

Your advice or warning other potential buyers of this product is a good one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
. . . Every response/suggestion I read concerning your predicament was a well meaning and good post.
Yup, yup, I completely agree, until the last one posted by 'rocket scientist' MGMike, but I've covered that one already! And like me, you too are entitled to your opinion, but I've since heard it, so move-on, Chief! Git yerself a setta Hogue grips and make a few trips to the hardware stores! Idiotic indeed! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
13,794 Posts
Gee, since you're out of options, enjoy your time at Ace Hardware. :D

I'm sure, in the end, you'll find a solution that'll work perfectly....then you can enjoy your new grips.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gee, since you're out of options, enjoy your time at Ace Hardware. :D
Nah! I don't think its gonna come to that. I ordered three (3) pairs of these same grips for three different ppk/s models, and only one of them has been received as yet. So, the other two unopened sets will go back, unless Hogue can provide me with a suitable replacement screw for each (which for $300, I strongly suspect they will find a way to do!), because I'm in full agreement with MGMike on at least one thing . . . its simply inconceivable that they (Hogue) don't offer the proper screw for these silly things.

·
Super Moderator
7,303 Posts
Chill out, Ringo. If you ask for guidance and advice here, you are apt to get it, including fixing some stuff that does verge on rocket surgery.

I'd be on the phone to Hogue about those screws.
BTW, I've never found a set of wooden grips for a PP series that felt good; they've all been too thick for me.
Moon

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
. . . Ringo. If you ask for guidance and advice here, you are apt to get it . . .
Doh! Seriously??? Are we all speaking the same King's English here? Or am I just losing my flippin' mind?

It certainly saddens me that you don't like wooden grips, but in what universe did you or others see me "asking for guidance or advice" in this thread?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't know if this matters or not. I was going to buy some Hogue wood grips for my PPK/S several years ago. I called Hogue, the lady asked me if I had an American made pistol or an Interterms German pistol. She said the grips varied slightly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
O.K., so, I looked at two different sets of wooden Hogue grips today at a local retailer, new and sealed in factory packaging, and although neither were for a ppk/s, both contained stainless steel replacement screws.

I'll contact Hogue in the morning to find out why such a screw was absent from the packaging of this $92.00 set, but we can now safely close this thread out, because fortunately, I'm no longer in need of any sage "guidance or advice" from the greater membership. :rolleyes:

Cheers!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know if this matters or not. I was going to buy some Hogue wood grips for my PPK/S several years ago. I called Hogue, the lady asked me if I had an American made pistol or an Interterms German pistol. She said the grips varied slightly.
Interesting! Once shaved and shaped on the inside for proper fit, the ones I received fit beautifully and looked beautiful, but sadly, their attachment was another matter. And yes, they are somewhat 'thicker'.

·
Super Moderator
7,303 Posts
Ringo, here then is some unsolicited advice.
Go bump your head.
Moon out

1 - 20 of 20 Posts