Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
chandler: I looked at the 17600 for my PPQ but, since I work with the small PPQ backstraps, the 17600 seems to be too big to hug the grip enough to assure it won't slip under use. I do like its beavertail feature, however. I've gone with the 17210 grip without a beavertail. Not sure if the 17210 could be stretched enough to fit a medium or large PPQ backstrap.

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chandler: I looked at the 17600 for my PPQ but, since I work with the small PPQ backstraps, the 17600 seems to be too big to hug the grip enough to assure it won't slip under use. I do like its beavertail feature, however. I've gone with the 17210 grip without a beavertail. Not sure if the 17210 could be stretched enough to fit a medium or large PPQ backstrap.
I assume you own and are referring to a PPQ 45. It comes with 2 backstraps....the "smaller" backstrap is virtually the same size, thickness x front to rear length, as the PPQ 9mm. Take a look at post #9 in the link below. Olsoul is generally very meticulous in his specifications.

·
Registered
30 Posts
chandler: My PPQ's are the 9mm M2 and the Q5. They each come with 3 backstraps (small, medium, large) and I use the small. I called Hogue and they just haven't confirmed their 17600 for the PPQ so we have to rely on others' experiences. Hogue thinks it will work on all 3 backstraps so I'll purchase 2 more 17600, strip the 17210 off one gun and, once again, wrestle with the 17600 in its application. If it works I'll also put it on my other PPQ and let the world know....or at least the forum....of my experience. Thanks chandler. (p.s. I, too, really like my Walthers....only wish the aftermarket for Walther was more accommodating).

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
chandler: My PPQ's are the 9mm M2 and the Q5. They each come with 3 backstraps (small, medium, large) and I use the small. I called Hogue and they just haven't confirmed their 17600 for the PPQ so we have to rely on others' experiences. Hogue thinks it will work on all 3 backstraps so I'll purchase 2 more 17600, strip the 17210 off one gun and, once again, wrestle with the 17600 in its application. If it works I'll also put it on my other PPQ and let the world know....or at least the forum....of my experience. Thanks chandler. (p.s. I, too, really like my Walthers....only wish the aftermarket for Walther was more accommodating).
FYI. My approach was to perform an initial warm-up with a hair dryer and stretch using finger strength only. Next step was to heat the Hogue with the hair dryer until it was hot to the touch. Step 3 was the application of non-foaming liquid soap to the PPQ grip followed by one more heat application to the Hogue. Liquid soap was applied to the inside of the Hogue. The insertion procedure went smooth and quick. Started with the front edge of the PPQ inserted slightly. Pushed forward until the rear of the PPQ grip was aligned with the backside of the Hogue. Pressed downward from the top of the PPQ while applying upward pressure on the Hogue. Increased the opposing forces and the Hogue slipped into the full up position.

Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
chandler: Since we agree that the PPQ 45 and the PPQ 9mm have very similar sized grips, do you think that your 17600 grip would have stretched sufficiently on a PPQ 9mm handgun with the small backstrap to provide the tight hug on the poly grip needed to secure it well in use? I realize it's a rather hypothetical question for you but anything you can add before I purchase 2 of these grips will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
chandler: Since we agree that the PPQ 45 and the PPQ 9mm have very similar sized grips, do you think that your 17600 grip would have stretched sufficiently on a PPQ 9mm handgun with the small backstrap to provide the tight hug on the poly grip needed to secure it well in use? I realize it's a rather hypothetical question for you but anything you can add before I purchase 2 of these grips will be greatly appreciated.
The first step is to measure your PPQ M2 grip. Use the widest point from front to rear. Then measure grip width/thickness using widest point from left to right side. The PPQ m2 should measure 5.3" from the bottom of the mag well to the top of the slide....confirm that.

The Hogue 17600 is actually designed for the Sig P320 full size with a height of 5.5" However, the Sig P320 compact is the same height (5.3") and thickness (1.3") as the PPQ M2 and Q5. That grip number is 17610.

Finally, my suggestion is to purchase 1 of the 17610 just to be certain it fits correctly. Also, as Olsoul's measurements indicate the PPQ M2 grip is virtually identical to the PPQ 45 in thickness and width. Therefore I am convinced it will be a tight fit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
chandler: Terrific information and I thank you. Both of my Walthers measure 4.9"in height (bottom of mag well to top of slide) which makes the 17610 the more obvious choice. I did look at the compact model (17610) but originally thought it might be better buying the larger 17600 and trimming it down. However, with our height measurements the 17610 is the answer. I might still have to trim a little but so be it. I'll purchase 1 and give it a shot (pardon the pun). I doubt I'll be able to salvage the 17210 grip that's on the gun and I'll probably have to cut it off but that too, is no problem. If the 17610 doesn't work out I'll just purchase another 17210. Thanks again, chandler5566.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I went a different route. A strip of bicycle inner tube. Works for me, I have size 10 hands with short digits.
Walther PPQ 45 IMG_20200714_124457.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went a different route. A strip of bicycle inner tube. Works for me, I have size 10 hands with short digits.
View attachment 93378
I thought about that approach but didn't want to have to use an adhesive that might remove the original texture. Ended up using strips of Velcro in "strategic" locations but always wanted a more natural rubber grip. Whatever works!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi chandler: I've received both the Hogue 17600 and the 17610 and I see that the smaller 17610 has no allowance for the pinky finger while the 17600 does. That might be a fatal flaw on the PPQ. What do you think? Perhaps a possible needed trimming of the back of the grip might be an acceptable trade-off to keep the 17600. Interesting finding, yes? I haven't put either on the PPQ yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts