Walther Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I came across this curiosity. 25acp Walther TPH, all standard except for the curious stamping on the slide “HK CAT. 925”.

This was found in Italy.

Does anyone have information about it?

·
Registered
269 Posts
The shape and design of the HK on your pistol corresponds exactly to the trademark of the German gun manufacturer Heckler & Koch. I don't know why it's on a Walther pistol.
CAT with the following number means that the pistol is approved for private acquisition in accordance with the Italian weapons law. In Italy, all handguns with a caliber used for military weapons were banned from private acquisition.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The only possible explanation I could come up with is that this is one of the police trade-ins from one of the German states, most likely Bavaria, which HK took in exchange when these states switched from Walther to HK with the P7. These pistols were then sold on the used/collector market, mostly PP and PP Super in the US, but any TPH could not be imported because of size. So maybe they ended up in Italy. I have a PP, HK-marked for the US.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
+1

I know, that HK bought several German service guns to fulfill a regulatory contract. They were revised by HK and sold around the world.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hey Martin,
I have a similar HK marked PP import on the grip front strap. I don't mind it except for the gold color.
I'm wondering what will remove the color without hurting the rich bluing. It's a Manurhin proofed one.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
At one point HK was also an importer of other brands. In the 1980's and '90's they imported and marketed Franchi, Benelli, and FABARM into the US. Since they already had a good relationship with Italian arms makers it doesn't surprise me that they also sold a few Walther's.

You could try posting this over on the HKPRO.com forum.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Hey Martin,
I have a similar HK marked PP import on the grip front strap. I don't mind it except for the gold color.
I'm wondering what will remove the color without hurting the rich bluing. It's a Manurhin proofed one.
I do not know, had none of them in my hands. A black Edding? 😁

·
Registered
873 Posts
Sorry Martin,
It was Absolam that posted his HK stamped PP front strap that I commented on the stamp HK color inlay like mine.
Even though the color doesn't really bother me and not really seen on the front strap (not like the OP's inlay on his TPH, and a real eyesore)), I was just wondering what would remove it. I don't mind the stamp. Just the gold color. I don't even mind the X'd out ByP on my frame. Thank God they didn't inlay that with any color.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Sorry, didn‘t come back to this thread for a few days. I think my first photo exaggerated the “gold” color a bit due to an artificial light source. I don’t think HK colored the engraving in any way, that’s just how it turned out and it’s bare metal. If you find it too obvious, maybe a bluing pen?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Well of course I'd remove the grips, bigmitty . I know how chems affects. Been doing it for 40+. But, thanks for the heads up. Good for newbee's to know and take note.
I'll try some acetone on a Q-tip inside the slide to see how it reacts to the bluing.
And, Absalom's original pic of the gold color and the newer one are quite the contrast of each other. Did you remove the gold? But, I don't buy the exposed metal from the stamping. My ByP "X'd out" is blued with no exposed raw metal in the X stamp. And it's the same pistol from the flare coming off the top left of the "H".

·
Registered
873 Posts
Looks like I'm pulling an MGMike here. He was always good at it. Learned a few from him. Hope He's good and at least lurking and laughing at some things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts