Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up the HiViz Fiber Optic front sight for my P99. I have them on my Rugers and Sig and I love them.

Getting the factory sight off the Walther was a piece of cake...just slipped the allen wrench in and off she came. Putting the HiViz on, though, was a different story. Instead of a split mount with a screw (like the factory sight) it has a hexagonal bolt. It just clears the recessed area inside the slide and it was darn difficult to get a small socket over it to tighten down. (I did put some blue LocTite on, per the installation directions.).

Has anybody else installed one? Any problems with it coming loose? I don't like the attachment system at all. If it turns out to be a problem, I guess I'll go back to the factory sight. They worked well enough...I just wanted a little more visibility. But not at the price of having the sight come off when I shoot!

Thanks!
Jim

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I may order some Tru Glo fiber optics for my Glock 26. I saw the High Viz ones too. The ones I see online are sold seperately, though (but the front and the rear seperately). By the time ya add them together, they are usually a bit more than the tru glo...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Jim

Actually I bought the HiViz sight after I read one of your earlier posts. I went to the website and ordered it, thanks to you.

When I got it, and looked at that hex type screw, I deceided that what this job needed was a gun guy with a lot of experience.

I brought it to him and left it overnight. It's on beautiful now and doesn't appear to be going anywhere. I'm a cop and carry my P99 on duty.

Basically, I just go to the range with my firearms. I do NOT take them down anymore than the basic cleaning strip.

I do not attempt to "tighten or untighten" anything on a handgun.

There are people who breathe (and love) this kind of stuff.

I take it to them.

Do not change the sights or anything else on your guns unless you are 100% about the results.

Dan

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dan -

Thanks for the info. I'm with you -- beyond a simple hex screw, I'm all for letting the professionals do it (well, I do replace grips by myself!) I think I'll take the gun and a couple of hundred rounds to the range and make sure nothing shakes loose. If it does, then it's off to the shop. The P99 is going to be my carry gun...I need it to be 100% reliable.

How do you like the HiViz? This is the first one I've had that's overmolded...the versions on my Rugers and Sig have the replaceable lite pipes. At first glance, I think the sight looks pretty good...just like what I'm used to.

Thanks for doing what you do....the recent events in Providence remind us that it's not an easy job!

Jim

·
Registered
37 Posts
Jim

I like the HiViz sights very much.

I'm not a marksman. But I'm above average and probably all that I'll never need to be while on the job. At least I hope so.

I really don't want to find out just how well I'll shoot: to stop someone.

Real life "situations" and range shooting, are worlds apart.

The Walther P99 is a great firearm!

Cop or no cop: this gun should do you (and me) just fine.

Dan

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I reinstalled the sight (with Loctite this time!) and took it back to the range. 400 rounds later, it's still solid so I think I got it right this time. After a few rounds to get the feel of the new sight, the rounds started landing where they belonged. (Pics on my website, here: http://users.adelphia.net/~navy87guy/targets.html ) I'm trying to evolve my practice sessions away from "stand and shoot" into something a little more practical...draw and shoot, strong or weak hand only, Mozambique drills, etc. It's nice to be able to put the rounds where I want them on head/chest silhouettes in failry rapid-fire scenarios. But as you said...I'm sure it's nothing like having to face the real thing on the street.

I'm completely confident in this gun...and it's just so much darn fun to shoot!

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts