Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi WF,

Purchased my first handgun, Walther PPS M2 9mm. I purchased it after considerable online research, and while the overwhelming online feedback suggested that I purchase a Glock, I was drawn to the Walther.

The truth be told, I was a attracted to the Walther line because of it's iconic tie to the James Bond brand. What can I say!

But after considerable research, I learned that the Walther line has the street creds to back-up my less than scientific reasons for selecting this weapon.

I really enjoy shooting the PPS, and I am actually getting a lot closer to actually hitting the barn than originally. I carry it at all times … just in case I come across a side-stepping barn causing mayhem. :)

I have decided to purchase another handgun (maybe a couple … the bug has bitten me) for home defense. I was thinking about the 9mm PPQ Q5 Match. Since the steel frame became available, the polymer models have fallen into the low $600's and they have the increased round capacity I seek. Admittedly, I also like Q5 because it looks cooler than a Dubai ski slope.

Any thoughts? And is this too much for an introduction?

PS. I am not a first time gune owner but rather a first time gun owner.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Welcome Mike!

The Q5 is a nice pistol, but for home defense I might consider something else - like the standard PPQ.

For one thing a ported barrel isn't a great choice for a defense gun IMO. It's going to divert the blast upward, and at night in the house it's going to produce more flash. If you need to fire in a retention (close) position the upward blast is going toward your face.

Fine on the range at arms-length, just not great for a defense gun.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Welcome aboard.

I agree with the porting becoming an issue when shooting in the dark or close to your body. I recently shot some Federal 115 gr bulk stuff I got Wal-Mart before they bent the knee. In my PPS's shorter barrel I had a significant flame front leaving the barrel. Probably due to a slower burning powder. Glad I was only using it for target practice.

I am told that powder burn rate is the difference between Critical Duty and Critical Defense. Defense has faster burning powder for shorter than 4 inch barrels like the PPS.

-- Mark

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the welcome!

Dear czsuby, MarkS20, Jan whitaker,, jkv45 & DE Pistole,

Thank you for the warm welcome. Sound advice regarding the Q5, I was simply enamored with it's appearance.

There was a post recommending I look at the Creed, I did, you wouldn't want to have to look at it for too long … talk about homely. But for the price it does seem to be an excellent value. Just the same I think I will pass.

Jan whitaker, I have started researching the P99 and I think it is a great weapon. I really like the Anti-Stress trigger. Looks like it might be the winner.

Best regards,

Mike
PS. I am also new to these types of forums, please feel free to critique my posts for appropriateness and general format.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Another hello and welcome from the southern Carolina. Good choice on the PPS M2. jkv45 gives good, practical advice. The PPQ line does indeed offer several good choices for a home defense pistol. Welcome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts