Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came home from a gun show Sunday with one of the pistols I've been on the lookout for, a Browning Hi Power. This one is a '65 made in Belgium and is a beauty. I took it to the range yesterday and it was all I expected and then some. It's odd to me that the Hi Power doesn't get much love around these parts.

On the the Gun Show. This show, which is one of the largest in the State, has stopped selling tables to private gun buyers/sellers. The accessory and ammo gang is there but only FFLs are allowed to deal in firearms. NICS for everyone. Not sure whether they are trying to head off the s#@tstorm that's sure to come over the "Gun Show Loophole" or don't want the competition from traders and collectors. For now there are still attendees walking around with guns for sale (thankfully for me).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I got a smokin' good deal at well under $1K. The guy wanted his Dad's gun to go to a local collector who would cherish it more than he wanted cash. As part of the deal, I won't ever sell the gun for profit and will instead pass it down to another collector. Not a hard deal to make as the HP is a forever gun.

There are a lot of surplus police Belgian Hi Powers available these days at under $500. Before I went clone I would go for one of those. The surplus guns can be a bit rough looking on the outside but are typically lightly used and are good candidates for the modern finishes.

The Hi Power for the few that may not know was JMB's last creation. I personally love fact that it's Raymond Reddington's EDC.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The FEG real HP clones are good guns. My son had one and it shot as well as any of my Belgian Brownings and better than the old WWII HP I had.

FWIW, while Browning started developing the pistol for the French military, it was finished by Dieudonné Saive, who also came up with the staggered magazine design.

·
Super Moderator
7,359 Posts
Jimbo, presume you know how to remove the magazine safety? Save the parts; it does improve the trigger pull.
Glad you snagged it; Brownells is importing Turk HiPowers, but the originals will command the serious money. They're also a little like Lugers, with variations in place and method of manufacture, and values to match. Most of it is beyond my ken.

Moon

·
Registered
284 Posts
I love the Hi-Power. One of my top five 9mms. Have 2 of them, and probably will get more. :D

·
Super Moderator
7,359 Posts
For a double stack (the first double stack), they feel amazingly good in the hand.
Enjoy!

Moon

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
I do not. I don't find the trigger problematic so I'll just leave it alone.
I've haven't removed mine either. I think the trigger feels pretty good as it is.

The magazine safety is attached to the trigger with a solid pin that is staked in place. In my picture below it's circled in red. If you see a Hi Power that just has an empty hole there then you know that the magazine safety has been removed.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts