Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I'm Mike.
Just signed up this Sunday evening (Australia time) so I've not put in any details in my profile as yet.
My wife and I are both pistol shooters and are shopping around for a new 9mm to replace our aging Taurus PT99.

The Australian Walther PPQ Tactical was initially on my short list based on what I'd read but up until today I never got a chance to see or shoot one as they are not that common over here. so we'd pretty much dropped it off our list.

Today however we did get to try an M1 version (the one with the mag release on the trigger guard) and we quite liked it. As I am left handed and my wife right handed the M1 PPQ would seem to be the only true ambi-dextrous handgun.

To be honest I'm not really a fan of striker fired polymer guns based on my expereinces with Glocks but the Walther felt very good in my hand and I was pleased with how I was placing my shots on the target at 25m, never having fired this gun before until today.

The trigger seemed a lot nicer then a Glocks.

Anyway I'll not really have a lot to contribute to these forums and it's still not set in concrete that we'll buy a PPQ but I would welcome any feedback or advice that anyone can offer to help me make a decision.

We'd specifcally only want the M1 as I'm told the M2 goes back to the conventional style mag release, is that correct?

The Australian guns are a little different in that our laws require a minimum barrel length of 120mm so our PPQ versions have an extended barrel with threaded end cap apart from that I think they are identicle.

We do a bit of I.P.S.C but are more into I.S.S.F shooting so perhaps a PPQ would not be accurate enough for us, not sure but I was pleased with how I was getting on target with this gun today.

Anyway enough waffling on, I look forward to reading your replies.

·
Premium Member
8,550 Posts
Welcome aboard....if you post these questions and concernson the PPQ section, I'm sure you will get plenty of feed back.
Two quick responses:
1. The M2 release is ambidextrous too, you can change the side the button is on quite easily.
2. The Q right out of the box is extremely accurate. I too have a threaded barrel and am still amazed by how accurate the Q is.
NO Wait! Three responses:
3. I have over 10,000 rounds through my PPQ with no problems at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Olsoul.
Although I'd argue about being able to change the slide button making a gun ambi as most pistols can have their mag release button swapped over.
That to my mind just makes them either left or right hand friendly not ambi-dextrous by definition.

That's what appealed to us about the PPQ with release on the trigger guard we could both use it without needing to change anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
G'Day Mate, Welcome from another Aussie from Perth.
Hiya Pete.
Do you own a Walther? I just got an email back from Gary at Safari firearms, he tells me he has them in stock.
I was lucky in that I bumped into this guy at the range today who happened to have a pretty new PPQ and was kind enough to allow me to shoot it.

As you'd well know over here in Oz it's sometimes hard to get to handle let alone shoot a lot of different guns and often we are buying on faith it will suit us.

·
Premium Member
13,545 Posts
Mychael, you just had the rare opportunity to handle and fire one the Worlds finest striker fired pistols. I've got a few PPQ's and can tell you that after handling and firing the Q's, I sold all my other pistols that utilize the button mag release. Walther makes fine pistols and the Q, IMO is the best of their current offerings. The 'Classic' or 'M1' is ambidextrous everything, without having to change anything....you can shoot it, hand it to your wife and she can shoot it......doesn't get any better than that. Go buy that hard to find M1 pistol before it's gone. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Besides, should you decide the Q is not for you, I have no doubt you could sell it for what you paid for it or more.

If you dally around too long, you'll go back to the gun shop only to find that they've already sold the Q and you'll be going like this:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pricing over here is a lot higher then what you guys in the states would pay. Though that applies to all handguns not just the Walthers.
I was quoted $995 Aus and the guy who's gun I shot yesterday told me he paid nearly $1200.
That still puts it well under say a CZTS or STI Trojan or S&W 1911. They all come in around $1600 over here if not a littte more in some cases.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hiya Pete.
Do you own a Walther? I just got an email back from Gary at Safari firearms, he tells me he has them in stock.
I was lucky in that I bumped into this guy at the range today who happened to have a pretty new PPQ and was kind enough to allow me to shoot it.

As you'd well know over here in Oz it's sometimes hard to get to handle let alone shoot a lot of different guns and often we are buying on faith it will suit us.
I recently purchased a PPK/L 32ACP & a PP 22CAL from Cleavers & just waiting for Lic to come thru so i can take them home!
Im not into modern Walthers as im a Glock 19 fan. I also collect S&W revolvers

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Nice to have you with us, Mike. Welcome aboard. Be sure to ramble around the FAQ sections and take a good look at the Sticky threads. Enjoy your time on the forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts