Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Unlike the rest of you, I confess that I’m a complete newbie with shooting, not to mention the gun world in general. Husband recently convinced me to get my CCL and the only pistol we had small enough to fit that bill was one I inherited from my late father - a 1968 Interarms PPK. Husband took me to the range to learn to shoot with it and I fell in love with the Walther. It fits my hand perfectly, feels so well-balanced and, never once jammed on me. So, although “James Bond” I most definitely am NOT (yet!), it looks like at least for now, my ccw is going to be a 50+ yr. old PPK.🤗 Dad also left me a 1945 WWII P38 which, if its shoots anything like the ppk, I am also very much looking forward to trying out on the range. Thank you all for welcoming me here - hope you don’t mind a few occasionally stupid questions on my part! I’m very much looking forward to learning more about the history of Walther and all of their amazing pistols.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. I was carrying a Manurihin Walther PP yesterday as my primary carry. It is pretty new, made in 1954. Today I have a Walther Model 4 as my carry handgun and it was made in 1923.

Get that P38 checked out and get the springs replaced (a set of replacement springs should be less than $20.00) and it will be a REAL joy to shoot, especially one handed. Mine was made in 1941 by Walther and it rocks up and then back on target just like my old Colt SAAs. One of the most pleasant shooting 9mm pistols I own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the warm welcome - and the advice on the P38 - will definitely check her springs out. I’m taking it with me to the range today to see how she shoots - am expecting good things. Your 1954 Manhuerin PP sounds like fun :) Walther definitely made some quality weapons. Wondering if their new Ft. Smith PPKs will be the same?!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank y’all! Took the p38 to the range yesterday and she was shot great....the first shot. Every shot after that jammed - wouldn't eject the spent casing. Having her checked out and cleaned there now by someone familiar with these wwll type Walthers, so we shall see....hopefully it’s just a simple issue of spring replacement or the like. On a side note...I stopped off at a pawn/gun shop with hubby so he could check out some gear there and noticed they had a stainless German Walther .380 pp. Looked to be in good shape...but for $760 I don’t think it is in my future (for now, anyway). They also had a MUCH more affordable Bersa which seemed pretty similar to the Walther. Thinking about it as, due to sentimental value, I do sometimes worry about constantly using the ppk as my ccw.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The Bersa is a reliable pistol with "Walther like" good looks. Relative to the PP series, Bersa pistols are much more affordable (either new or used.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL... Well, despite reading the attached stickies re: how to post pics, and trying various methods such as attaching to post, embedding and resizing, I’m afraid I have been unsuccessful in figuring out how to post pics ... keep getting “ upload of file failed” message, SO although seeing is believing, I’m afraid 03Hemi will just have to take my word for it that my Walther are not imaginary!😂🤗.

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
Thank y’all! Took the p38 to the range yesterday and she was shot great....the first shot. Every shot after that jammed - wouldn't eject the spent casing. Having her checked out and cleaned there now by someone familiar with these wwll type Walthers, so we shall see....hopefully it’s just a simple issue of spring replacement or the like.
I'd be very wary of spring replacement. I've seen many P38s ruined by this procedure by so called Walther "experts". I'd be looking at the extractor first. Is it properly gripping the casing for extraction...It is possible they are talking about the extractor plunger spring and that might be the culprit but it is more likely the extractor itself.

Unless your weapon has seen extensive use the two recoil springs on the frame likely will outlast you.

·
Registered
592 Posts
In regard to springs, I remember one of our forum member essentially saying springs don't "spoil with age." I really took note of that and have since never given a thought to changing springs just because they may be the originals in an old pistol. That said, heavy usage is another matter and is easy to track if you are the original owner. However, I wonder (and ask) if there are any reliable condition based ways of knowing (aside from malfunction) whether a recoil spring should be replaced?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Welcome, you have two wonderful pistols, enjoy shooting them.

Reactions: vireya

·
Registered
31 Posts
...I wonder (and ask) if there are any reliable condition based ways of knowing (aside from malfunction) whether a recoil spring should be replaced?
Recoil springs are cheap. If you even suspect your EDC recoil spring may be getting tired, replace it.
If it's a 'sometime' pistol, then you can afford to wait for the malfunction.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts