Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yes.
Finding them can be tough, and the going rate is around $125 ea.
Good luck.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Try www.gunbroker.com I saw a few on there last night. Be sure to read the descriptions to make sure they are pre-ban and legal.

I've heard from different people that all the hi-cap magazines made by MecGar for the Turkish Army are not pre-ban. Although they do not have any LEO markings on them, they are supposedly not legal. However I think anything not marked LEO is generally accepted as pre-ban. You can tell if they are Turkish because they hold 16 rounds (some hold 17) but they only have a 15 round witness hole.

As MeatGrinder said, true Walther/MecGar factory pre-ban mags will be hard to find and run $100+.

Why not wait until the AWB sunsets (we all hope)? I'm sure Walther hi-cap mags will be available in plenty for more reasonable prices then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have some of the Turkish/Mecgar mags for my P99. Everyone says they will hold 16rnds but I am only able to get 15 in them. I read on one of the gun boards, that Mecgar changed the spring and follower so the magazine will only hold 15rnds per Turkish law.... 15 rounds or 16 rounds, its all good to me

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Cap mags are definitely avail. If you search the gun and gun parts auction sites you will find an assortment of pre ban original equipment manufacturer mags from Mec-Gar as well as Pro Mag brand aftermarket. Also, contrary to popular belief, you can actually get a new P99 right at retail with a couple of brand new hi cap mags if you buy it from a certain gun shop in MA. Don't pay $125 that some scoundrels are trying to get. If you hunt around, you can find them for half that. I bought a couple from Swedejohn on the Auction Arms site that were brand new.

·
Registered
229 Posts
May I suggest that you shoot this guy an e-mail:
James E. Tix
[email protected]

I bought several of the Turkish Walther/Meg-Gars from him and they all hold 16 rounds. I paid somewhere around $72 (more or less) plus shipping costs.

They function perfectly!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a few more non-Turkish preban 16 rounds mags left for sale.

These are brand new with 16th round witness hole.

Price $83.00 + shipping & insurance

money orders or Pay Pal(+3%fee)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I may be wrong, but ... since P-99s came out post-ban, then you may be treading on thin ice having pre-ban mags in them. Of course, that would only be an issue if you were forced to use your P-99 to defend yourself and found yourself in a courtroom in a wrongful death lawsuit. But that's another subject...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here we go again !

The P-99 was designed and made well before the 1994 ban. Do you really think when they designed the gun that the mags were an after-thought ? No, Meggar was given the contract to build them for Walther when the gun was under design.

Did Wather design a gun, not to bring it into the marketplace ? No !

Walther made the new P-99 and needed lots of mags for them. Meggar made the mag/s and patented them. End of story.

Meggar currently makes high cap mags for US Import but all of those say " Law Enforcement Only "

Meggar made mags for the Turkish government marked to 15 rounds only after the 1994 ban. These mags are not marked " Law Enforcement Only" since they were made for the country of Turkey. These I would stay away from, as it appears they were smuggled into the US after the ban.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This has been discussed many times before.

My non-Turkish, 16-round, 9mm, P99 magazines are stamped "Walther" and "Mec-Gar" and the patent no., only. There are no stamped restrictions.

My Turkish, 16-round, 9mm, P99 magazines are exactly the same except for a missing witness hole. It really takes a keen eye to discern the difference between the non-Turkish and the Turkish.

As long as there are no stamped restrictions, I will continue to use and enjoy in confidence.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought 2 hi cap mags ( 16-9mm) from Michael Kaehny in Germany. Each one was about $ 50 including shipment. These are LEO, brand new, original from Walther. Service was super

Dave

·
Registered
112 Posts
For general info regarding mags: I purchased on Gunbroker one of the aftermarket mags represented to be a ProMag. Does not say ProMag on it anywhere, it is readily apparent that the qulaity of the mag is not up to the Walther standards and not as nice workmanship as the original equipment MecGar mags which I have and are beautiful mags, also appears this aftermarket mag does not properly engage the slide stop so slide does not stay back after last round.

·
Registered
263 Posts
On Gunbroker.com, I have also noticed that on some of the pics of the mags, the flash reflects some obvious sanding burrs around the witness holes where the numbers are. These numbers are usually bright white. I don't know to what end people are sanding the numbers on their witness holes, but all of them say "15" in bright white next to the bottom one. It would make sense that if you were going to put new numbers on your mag, 16 would be the best to pick.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I bought 2 hi cap mags ( 16-9mm) from Michael Kaehny in Germany. Each one was about $ 50 including shipment. These are LEO, brand new, original from Walther. Service was super

Dave
Dave, I've confused. Why would you buy LEO 16 round standard capacity mags from Kaehny in Germany, wait the 10-14 days, and pay $10 more per mag than you could have got from Earl's? ($35 per mag plus shipping)?

Also, I believe Walther America will sell them to officers with a letter for under $40 per mag.

Regards,
James

1 - 20 of 36 Posts