Walther Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, first post here, never really got into Walthers before until now, and have a very P99-specific question, so figured might as well make an account and ask the guys most likely to have an answer. So I've been looking for a new carry gun. Something in the Glock 19 size range. I ultimately decided that I like the P99. However I really like the idea of the extended ambi slide release like the PPQ and older (or non-US market) P99 models had.
Being the tinkering type, I immediately started thinking of ways to make what I want.
So curious, has anyone tried modifying the current P99 frame to accept the PPQ style ambi slide stop? Looking at pics, it looks like all that's needed is to cut a recess in the frame directly under where the slide stop lever would sit, deep enough to let the lever to sit inside, and then swap in the PPQ component. Seems Walther was even nice enough to provide a nice mold line right where the cut has to be for you to follow. Could anyone with the older ambi P99 model clarify if there are any bigger changes needed to the guns internals or is it simply a matter of trimming some plastic off the frame and swapping parts?

I mean, I'm righty, so if it can't be done, I really don't care. But it would be a nice mod if it doesn't require any serious indepth changes to the gun. Walther went through all the trouble trying to be different with the paddle mag release, touting it's ambidextrous nature. So what about the slide stop? If you're going to make the gun ambidextrous, then make it ambidextrous. Don't half-ass it.
The only question is finding the actual lever. Does Walther sell parts direct to the public? Sending it in is out since I imagine Walther will want nothing to do with any homebrew gunsmithing. Only other option is finding a used PPQ for cheap to cannibalize it for the slide stop. Kind of a pricey way to go about it but I'm no stranger to that.

Maybe the next batch that comes in will have ambi slide stops. Seeing how the whole combat tupperware market is going full ambi now.
Any word on when that next batch will be? P99s are impossible to find here in PA.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Here is a related thread:
https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p99/46246-p99as-ambi-slide-release.html

The P99 won't appear here in the states with an Ambi lever. If you are righty, be happy. IMHO the P99 slide release is about the best in the business. It is EASY peasy to use rapidly, but small enough and placed well, not to get in the way by accident.

I just think the PPQ levers are needlessly large, and have been known to give SOME people premature slide lock because of hand shape and getting your hand HIGH on the gun(like you should). The P99 lever is out of the way. It is why I went P99 and NOT PPQ years and years ago.

It WOULD be nice if they put it on the other side too, but I'm right handed so good for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, I checked that thread before. Several people have thought about it , but it seems noone has bothered attempting it. I have looked at various pictures of stripped down PPQ and P99 frames and so far it's looking like just a matter of shaving a bit of plastic off the frame and swapping parts. Plenty of people are comfortable with shaping and stippling the frames on other polymer guns, I guess Walther owners like their guns too much to put them under the knife.

Overall though, I've been getting more interested in the PPQ M1. I like the single action trigger, and the looks are starting to grow on me. Plus it's already full ambi. Too bad the P99 doesn't count in Walther's new try before you buy offer. Could do a head to head comparison.

Why do you think they won't bring a full ambi P99 to the US again?

Edit to add: Also have to cut a small hole in the left side of the frame for the little tab on the slidelock lever that interacts with the mag follower. Overall, compared to some of the stippling and chop jobs you see on Glocks, this is pretty minor plastic surgery. And once done, all the cut areas are hidden behind those surfboard levers. So if you took some care with your work, it would look like a factory frame.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
I would think if you contacted Earl Sheehan, he could probably get you close to what you want.

I too wanted at one time a P99 and P99c with the ambi slide release...since I am a right handed (as opposed to wrong handed) :D
sort of feller, I quickly established that aesthetics aside, it would be pointless.

Still, they are handsome, no? ;)

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
I have looked at various pictures of stripped down PPQ and P99 frames and so far it's looking like just a matter of shaving a bit of plastic off the frame and swapping parts.
It should be much more difficult than that. This has been discussed at length in the past on this forum.

The diameter of the trigger pin is a different size, and the left-side ambidextrous slide release lever doubles as the trigger pin on the ambidextrous slide release model of the P99. There is also the issue of the tab that holds the right-side slide release lever on the frame. There would need to be an area of the frame that is relieved inside of the hole for the trigger pin.

Plenty of people are comfortable with shaping and stippling the frames on other polymer guns, I guess Walther owners like their guns too much to put them under the knife.
By all means, if you personally feel comfortable doing this modification to your own pistol, go ahead and do so, but I would assume that this modification would just result in a destroyed P99 frame.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.