Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a very nice PPK/S in .22lr with St Etienne on the barrel and stamped Made in France on the bottom near the mag well. On the left side it says "Made under license of Carl Walther..." Stamped Interarms on the right side. As is my habit when buying a used gun, I'd like to change out the recoil spring and firing pin spring with new ones from Wolff. But this .22 PPK/S is different than the .32 or .380 guns, the firing pin and its spring are enclosed, not open and easy to get at like the bigger siblings.

I need help, or instructions, on how to replace the firing ping spring. How do I get at it to remove the old one and put a new one in? Thanks in advance. Here's pics of inside the slide.
.22 slide.jpg
.22 fp.jpg
.22 breech.jpg

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
The procedure should be very similar to any PP type pistol. You will need to press the firing pin forward and pull the safety drum out of the slide. The drum is what retains it. A bit tricky as the plunger that locks the drum into safe/fire position doesn't want to let you pull the drum out either. I remove the extractor to let spring pressure off the plunger which means I only have to fight against the firing pin to remove the safety drum. Your photos would benefit from more light on the subject of the photo. I find that a dark background helps the sensor better see the dark gun parts. There is too much background light...sort of like trying to take a picture of someone standing in front of a bright window. The sensor can't adjust to the face of the person due to the bright background....so the face comes out dark. Hope that helps. 1917

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The procedure should be very similar to any PP type pistol. You will need to press the firing pin forward and pull the safety drum out of the slide. The drum is what retains it. A bit tricky as the plunger that locks the drum into safe/fire position doesn't want to let you pull the drum out either. I remove the extractor to let spring pressure off the plunger which means I only have to fight against the firing pin to remove the safety drum. Your photos would benefit from more light on the subject of the photo. I find that a dark background helps the sensor better see the dark gun parts. There is too much background light...sort of like trying to take a picture of someone standing in front of a bright window. The sensor can't adjust to the face of the person due to the bright background....so the face comes out dark. Hope that helps. 1917
Thank you for the helpful info. I was stymied at first, because it look different than the centerfire guns, but you got me on the right track. Sorry about the photos, I know they are poor, but your suggestions are appreciated and I will try them.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
You are welcome. Here is a photo where I am trying to show how the rear of the ejector lever pops up in front of the breech face to hold the slide open after the last shot. What is important is that my photo show what I am trying to illustrate. The part should be in sharp focus, enough light so that the photo is clear and not so close that no one can tell exactly where on the pistol I am looking. Many times people add a photo of a pistol and ask what have I got.....that is all well and good but if you post process the photo to make the blueing nice and dark....we sometimes can't tell much. And if you want info on the pistol.....it's always nice to have a shot of the pistol but a PPK looks like a PPK. If you want details you need to post a photo that shows those details. A closer shot of the left and right sides of the pistol for example showing slide markings, SN, proof mark etc.

I had to laugh at your photos, no harm intended, but you oriented each shot by accident but precisely where I could not see the safety lever in any of them. Again, no mean criticism intended, but it is how we learn. Those phones will take excellent photos...bad ones too. Light is everything in photography. Focus too. Glad you got it sorted. 1917

I Phone shot last fall at Yosemite, an old I Phone at that, really old. Had to replace it recently but those things will take good photos.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man, I have always been terrible at taking pics...I guess I need to practice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts